Building my "bucket list" expedition rig. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I screwed up, my truck was elsewhere and I took the measurements for the roof rack. This one is 11 inches too low and has to run all the way over to one side to accommodate the annex on my ARB tent. We haven't decided whether to modify this rack or just build another one, at least now I can have a little storage under the rack.
Roof Rack V1.jpg

Well we have the rack at the proper height and a lockable basket. Have completed mounting pads for battery box, we are using industrial conveyor belting as insulation between the steel frame and all aluminum elements.
Lockable Rack.jpg
Battery Box Pads.jpg
Battery Box.jpg

Rails are tacked in place for the slide out, they will also be bolted through to insulated brackets welded on the frame.
Rails tack in place for Slide out.jpg

Nice trailer build! I have been wanting to something like this for a while. Hope to see pics of the finished trailer.

Really nice, The manufacturer of the L N R coupler manufactures rivets for the US Navy Vessels Just so you know. They are good.

Very nice build! I am looking forward to seeing the end product!

I have had my 80 now for two years and I am convinced that it is the right rig for me. Over the years I've owned five Ford power stroke 250s and 350s 4x4s and a Chevy 2500 prior to that and could not bring myself to spent the big money for another.

I drove my 80 to Cabo and back last winter and will return to the Baja next winter and probably the one after that. Anyway I want to go to the NWT, Yukon and Alaska this summer and need a bullet proof trailer that will meet my needs. I towed my Triton snowmobile trailer (Model 2KF single place coverall) to the Baja, it worked well, no problems over the 9500 kilometers. Inside the trailer I had my ATV, genset, camp chairs and lots of “necessary” stuff. With its tiny tires it was not a good candidate to explore off road. Another issue was that I had my tent on top of my 80 and once camp was setup my ATV was my only mode of transport which was OK in smaller locals but had its limitations.

So I want a trailer that will handle the Dempster Highway in the Yukon or trails in the Baja. I want to put my roof top tent on a rack on the trailer, I want easy access to my “kitchen” and camp gear, and haul a small motorcycle on a bumper rack. I looked around a lot on the net. I saw a lot of good ideas but I wanted features that I wanted control over during the construction. The only short coming on my 80 that I have not been able to overcome is its brakes (they are as good as they get), so this trailer must have good braking.
These are the design criteria I laid out for a friend of mine who owns a fabrication shop, they regularly build trailers, truck service bodies, dry boxes, head ache racks and a lot of custom aluminum, and steel work.

1. 6000 lb axle stubs, with electric brakes. Track identical to my 80.
2. Steel frame and A arms.
3. Aluminum body.
4. Firestone air bag suspension.
5. Dual Rancho 5000 shocks.
6. Limiter straps and rubber compression blocks to limit suspension travel.
7. Pull out rolling box floor.
8. LED lighting.

The rolling chassis has just been completed, next will be the body.
View attachment 420925View attachment 420926View attachment 420927

Hi - I'm new to the forum. My rig is a 2008 Xterra. I live in the Eastern Townships and have done offroading in Africa (80's series) and in the East with a roof top tent, then home made offroad trailer with RTT. We just got sick of the rain here and purchased a 2008 T@B, which we took to Tuk via the Dempster this summer (17500 km). The Dempster and Tuk highways shook the poor trailer apart, so I'm looking to rebuild but with trailing arm air suspension. This begs the question - where did you find your suspension components? Thanks, T

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom