Buell is closing shop.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jomama

Lucideye
Threads
:eek: Their detractors will say :meh: but I liked my friends Uly...

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

Buell is History - ADVrider

By Steve Gelsi

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Harley-Davidson Inc. said Thursday its third-quarter net income dropped 84% to $26.48 million, or 11 cents a share, from $166.54 million, or 71 cents a share in the year-ago period. The Milwaukee-based motorcycle manufacturer was expected to earn 23 cents a share, according to a survey by FactSet Research. Harley's latest quarter included a one-time fixed-asset impairment charge of $14.2 million related to Buell and a goodwill impairment charge of $18.9 million related to MV Agusta. Looking ahead, the company will discontinue production of Buell motorcycles, resulting in the loss of 180 jobs over time. It'll book one-time charges of $215 million to $245 million in 2009 and 2010, about $55 million ahead of its July projections. The company expects to ship 35,000 to 40,000 motorcycles in the fourth quarter.

RIP. Sorry to see the loss of jobs even if it was small.

I too hate to see a loss of jobs (especially now) regardless of how small or the cause.

But I never cared much for the Buell.

It seemed to me that the HD M/C company was attempting to cross over into sportbike territory, and honestly, for me and my humble opinion, it didn't work:(

I'd prefer to see them keep on making great touring bikes and the base for outstanding choppers and such, and leave the crotch rocketing to the Japanees, Bavarians and the like.

It would be nice if they could find a place for some or all of those people. In the total scheme of things, 180 people is a drop in the bucket. Might require some to relocate, but I'd bet jobs could be found for those willing to hang in there.

it had already started after their stupidness with buell blast! when they turned the old one into a junk

Their 1125R was a good bike, it won the ama sportbike class this year. They also dump a bunch of money into racer support.

The Buell was supposed to be a sportbike. Problem was that it just didn't go like one. Some good ideas vs. mass centralization and low CG but the HD V-Twin belongs in a chopper/ cruiser or the odd drag bike. Or all polished up behind a glass window in my rec. room because they are very nice to look at! I don't feel any nostalgia for Buell- Harley, though I would never own one, must survive because of it's historical signifigance.

....Harley, though I would never own one, must survive because of it's historical signifigance.

Harley's marketing is magnificent. I know for someone who is a suit at HD, and his department has absolutely nothing to do with motorcycles.

The have managed to sell their "mystique" to people who like the "idea" of HD, but will never be able to afford one. If most people who bought Harley shirts, caps, glasses, rebadged Ford pickups and all the other crap that they license actually bought the bikes, it might get around that they are crap. Loud, slow, unreliable, uncomfortable, ugly... when you pay (far too much) for a new HD bike, you have to add another four figures worth of upgrades just to make it decent. It would be like buying a new Corvette, stripping it down to the badges and subframe, and starting from scratch. It's baffling to me.

All HD has to offer is their history, which is largely manufactured or embellished by a room full of Harvard MBAs who probably drive Porsche Cayannes.

Harley's marketing is magnificent. I know for someone who is a suit at HD, and his department has absolutely nothing to do with motorcycles.

The have managed to sell their "mystique" to people who like the "idea" of HD, but will never be able to afford one. If most people who bought Harley shirts, caps, glasses, rebadged Ford pickups and all the other **** that they license actually bought the bikes, it might get around that they are ****. Loud, slow, unreliable, uncomfortable, ugly... when you pay (far too much) for a new HD bike, you have to add another four figures worth of upgrades just to make it decent. It would be like buying a new Corvette, stripping it down to the badges and subframe, and starting from scratch. It's baffling to me.

All HD has to offer is their history, which is largely manufactured or embellished by a room full of Harvard MBAs who probably drive Porsche Cayannes.

Pretty well put but I have to disagree with a few points.

I know a lot of attorneys (J.D.'s), CPA's, M.D.'s P.H.D.'s and a plethora of other alphabet soup wearing folk that own and ride Harleys.

Some becuse they love them, others' well, just because it's a "Harley."

Some ride almost daily (one judge I know used to ride his to work whenever he could:))

Others, only ride during special events and fundraisers...weekender's at best, but still brag about being a "Harley owner", adding validity to your marketing comment.

Having ridden Harleys professionally for several years, I will say that the newer RoadKings are very comfortable bikes on the road.

A lot of the vibration experienced in the older models is gone.
At 1500 rpm (+/-) the motor and and resulting vibration issues become non-existant and the bike is as smooth as silk.

The hydraulic seat is a blessing on rough surfaces:)

Quick?

I've never equated HD and Fast. I know there are drag bikes and some very quick street bikes, but pound for pound, CC for CC, in stock or minor modified form, I'll take a crotch rocket over a HD any day if I want to go fast (lol).
For me it's equivalent to the difference in the Vette and the Landcruiser. In the vette, there's the "need for speed", the inherrent desire to go fact:)

In the landcruiser, as I've heard it put many times (and know first hand), it's about the adventure. It's slow but will get you there;)

Speaking of reliability, the newer bikes are much more reliable that even those from 10 years ago.

Even then, our old Pursuit Glides (aka: FXRP), held together very well, especially considering the fact that we beat the hell out of them on a daily basis:)

As far as loud, they're only as loud as you want them to be. Leave them alone and they're just fine. With a little work, you can even make them more quiet.
The obnoxious ones are modified by thier owners.

All in all, the HD is a decent, albeit overpriced, machine.

The HD marketing group does what it does very well and you have to give them credit. They've developed a mystique that has permeated our society.

Everything from the "BAD BOY BIKER", the wanna be, weekend bad a$$, to the free spirit out to escape reality, to the "I MADE IT!" group who uses the HD as a status symbol of financial accomplishment.

I am starting to see it more like the Corvette. The buyers are getting older simply because they are the ones that can afford it. The kids are out of the house, thier bills are paid, many have retired from "desk jobs" and are looking for a "wild Hogs" existence. In many cases they have expendable incomes and more time to play.

As for me, if I were to get a killer deal on one, then I'd buy it.

Otherwise, if I were ever to buy another bike, it'd probably be a Yamaha, Kawasaki or other japaneese touring maching.

They have CRAP for resale, but will last damned near forever and are smooth, fast and fun to ride and very resaonable to get into brand spankin' new!

Buncha haters :flipoff2:

Eric Buell does not equal HD....

Buncha haters :flipoff2:

Eric Buell does not equal HD....

Eric Buell does not, but Eiric Buell has not owned Harley for years.

Even when he was by himself the bikes had astounding engineering ideas, many poorly executed or done in by the inherent failings of the drive train. When Buell still worked for them the bikes were probably worse than the last couple of years.

Eric Buell does not, but Eiric Buell has not owned Harley for years.

Eric Buell owned Harley :confused::flipoff2:

When Buell still worked for them the bikes were probably worse than the last couple of years.

He worked for them till the day HD closed them... :confused:

He may not of owned Buell anymore, but he was still the CTO and responsible for engineering and design... I think its fair to say they were his bikes not HD's, if only in spirit...

He's as responsible for the recent bikes as the originals... Hence the heartfelt announcement in the original video I posted...

Looks like the 1125R will stay around for the race circuit too..

In November 2009, Buell and Harley-Davidson announced the launch of Erik Buell Racing, an independent company run by Erik Buell which will produce race-only versions of the 1125R model.

Sorry. I meant Eric Buell has not owned Buell for years.

Perhaps it was Harley's money and support that made them better in recent years. Regardless the original plan of using an old, poorly engineered tractor engine to propel a modern sport bike was a poor one..

Pretty well put but I have to disagree with a few points....

I can't say anything about vibration issues - I own a Triumph. :lol:

Eric Buell should be arrested for impersonating a motorcycle designer.

I'm only disappointed in the fact that hard parts won't be around for much longer. Seven years if Harley sticks to their word. I own an 08 Ulysses. It's the best damn bike I've owned. Out of 4 it is the only American bike. I don't like riding on my wrists, or on a recliner so that a bump sends my ass up in the air. I love the big twin, second gear wheelies, full Hepco-Becker hard bags, three way adjustable forks and shock, and almost 7" of suspension travel. No shims to adjust, no chain to lube, no final shaft drive failures and no $800 maintenance intervals. How could you own a $20,000 motorcycle and not know how to change the fluids? I've done a few extended trips to the hill country in south central TX and up to Mena, AR. Plan on a week long trip to Colorado this May before I start med school, when I will ride it everyday to class. 45 mpg still beats 22 in my Tacoma and what ever the FJ40 will get with the SBC when I get that running.
As long as American Sportbike or someone similar picks up the aftermarket on small bits, I will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom