Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the threads for the oil pump cover are in the timing front cover and maybe some in the block. For later buy a front timing cover and new oil pump cover or get used ones from classifieds. In the interim, if you can hit torque numbers with 1/4 threads you should be good. I would add a thin bead of fipg on the cover surface past the seal lip area toward the outside.

My damper had a hell of a groove in it. Leaked a ton. Was able to sleeve it(NAPA) successfully about 5 years and 50k miles ago. Still dry down there.

1646711760438.jpeg

Last edited:
My front crank seal, even though I had previously replaced it as PM, began leaking impressively at some point while we were on Dusy Ershim back in 2020. I had no problem finding one for the best price on earth at Partsouq including the higher shipping costs. It’s probably a good idea to replace the balanced whether you buy OEM or aftermarket due to the rubber isolator that’s part of.

If you have good threads down in the timing cover to attach the oil pump cover in those three booger’d hole, then run with it. If it didn’t leak before then it shouldn’t leak in the future. I’d use new fasteners though.

My front crank seal, even though I had previously replaced it as PM, began leaking impressively at some point while we were on Dusy Ershim back in 2020. I had no problem finding one for the best price on earth at Partsouq including the higher shipping costs. It’s probably a good idea to replace the balanced whether you buy OEM or aftermarket due to the rubber isolator that’s part of.

If you have good threads down in the timing cover to attach the oil pump cover in those three booger’d hole, then run with it. If it didn’t leak before then it shouldn’t leak in the future. I’d use new fasteners though.
Partsouq dose not have them.

I think they were both leaking 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for the kind words !!

Up date, the Harmonic balancer for the 80 part number 13470-66020 as fare as I can tell is NLA, however through my research I found that the LX450 balancer part number 13470-66030 is available.
I have it on order through Partsouq.com
Hopefully it gets here soon so I don't miss the up coming Death Valley Run 🙏

So while I'm waiting I got some other thing done. I got all new motor and trans mounts a while back. I got the right side in pretty easy then the driver side started fighting me and I was getting ready for Cruise Moab and running out of time. so I threw in the towel.
So today I got after it, with a few cuss words and a lot of Frustration I got the driver side in. and the trans one was a piece of cake.
1647313940515.png

Last edited:
Then I noticed this, I could not get that area clean so I tried to scrape it off with My finger nail. where it’s dirty there a ridge that my finger nail catches on.
It looks like it's been push out form the inside ? I'm a bit baffled by this.
1647314716982.png

Anyone have a timing chain cover to compare this to ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Was a productive day.
Since I had to pull both skid plates to replace the trans/transfer mount I repainted them both plus the trans cross member a few day ago and let them sit and cure.
So while they were out of the way I change the transfer case gear oil the reinstalled the cross member & both skid plates.
1647824970244.png

Wasn't worried about the gouges just wanted to stop the rust. replaced a bunch of bolts that were mangled and had to be removed with Vice grips.
Not perfect but much better. The skid plates take a beating

Then I moved up top and installed the one peace rear heater delete hose, the old hose was a lot harder to get off then I expected.
I had to remove more stuff to get to it then I mangled the tube that it goes onto and more stuff came off to straighten that out.
With all that stuff out of the way I could see that my main wiring Harness was a bit toasty :mad: :bang:
1647825645530.png

It looks like I got it just in time, I could not find any melted wires 🙏
The heat wrap was literally falling off in my fingers. I'm not sure if it was OEM I thinking it was installed when the head gasket was done.
I got some new heat shield and got it wrapped up best I could with out pulling the intake manifold. I also think there was a plastic clip missing you (can see the mount just to left of the split loom in the picture) and it was letting harness lay to close to the EGR tube. I was able to get a zip tie around it and pull it closer to the valve cover.
1647826529620.png

🤷‍♂️
All in all I think the wire insulation should work pretty good.

Then I replaced a bunch of small hoses in the engine bay, no pictures

Last edited:
Was a productive day.
Since I had to pull both skid plates to replace the trans/transfer mount I repainted them both plus the trans cross member a few day ago and let them sit and cure.
So while they were out of the way I change the transfer case gear oil the reinstalled cross member & both skid plates.
View attachment 2958320
Wasn't worried about the gouges just wanted to stop the rust. replaced a bunch of bolts that were mangled and had to be removed with Vice grips.
Not perfect but much better. The skid plates take a beating

Then I moved up top and installed the one peace rear heater delete hose, the old hose was a lot harder to get off then I expected.
I had to remove more stuff to get to it then I mangled the tube that it goes no to and more stuff came off to straighten that out.
With all that stuff out of the way I could see that my main wiring was a bit toasty :mad: :bang:
View attachment 2958339
It looks like I got it just in time, I could not find any melted wires🙏
The heat wrap was literally falling off in my fingers. I not sure if it was OEM I thinking it was installed when the head gasket was done.
I got some new heat shield and got it wrapped up best I could with out pulling the intake manifold. I also think there was a plastic clip missing you (can see the mount just to left of the split loom in the picture) and it was letting harness lay to close to the EGR tube. I was able to get a zip tie around it and pull it closer to the valve cover.
View attachment 2958361
🤷‍♂️
All in all I think the wire insulation should work pretty good.

Then I replaced a bunch of small hoses in the engine bay, no pictures
Nice skid plate. Mine is way bent from the Hammers. I figure to drive over it and make it right.

More parts arrived including the new Harmonic balancer. Genuine Toyota part :clap:
Part ordered on 3/13 from PartSouq arrived today 3/21 = Fast !!
1647903467349.png

Time to get busy :p

New crank seal and harmonic balancer check, new @Photoman 10% overdrive water pump/fan pulley check, New oil pump cover seal check ;)
1647997853178.png

New overflow tank and hoses check
1647997938137.png

New Cap, Rotor and Seal check.
1647998053847.png

More to come :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom