Brake woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

okieshan

SILVER Star
Threads
I would appreciate some advice regarding a recent "brake-down". I searched for a while with no luck.
75 FJ40 all drums
Driving today the pedal went to floor. It would still stop-as if the booster failed, just required more pressure. The problem worsened- front brakes ceased working, back brakes would Lock up when applied very hard. Front reservoir is now over full and back res is getting low.
Any suggestions on where to start? Booster? Master?

I would appreciate some advice regarding a recent "brake-down". I searched for a while with no luck.
75 FJ40 all drums
Driving today the pedal went to floor. It would still stop-as if the booster failed, just required more pressure. The problem worsened- front brakes ceased working, back brakes would Lock up when applied very hard. Front reservoir is now over full and back res is getting low.
Any suggestions on where to start? Booster? Master?

Pedal to the floor points to the seals leaking inside the MC. Fluid may have gotten sucked into the booster. Depending on how long it's been going on, your booster may be shot for that reason.

Would this cause fluid to come out the front reservoir cap?

Dilemma- If I need MC and booster, is it time to convert to disk?

I wouldn't worry too much about what box it comes in. I just get what ever my local parts store has in stock because they are good and I want them to stay in business. I have never had a problem.

Hi all,

I'd say this is an excellent time to upgrade to front disc brakes. Since you are in Australia go look for a 60/75 Series as a front disc brake donor. Lots of info here on MUD about doing the swap. You could also grab the master cylinder as well.

Easy upgrade that you will find very worthwhile over the long-term.

Good luck,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom