Block heater-Which freeze plug? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi, I am about to install an engine block heater, however, I am not sure which freeze plug to punch out. From what ive gathered it seems like the second plug is the preferred plug to use. Does it matter? I would like to use the first plug since it is the farthest away from the header and will be easier to install. So question is, can I use the first plug? Thanks!

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

I used the 3rd one back from the radiator.

That one will be hard for you to reach with your headers and the engine installed.

It was over a decade ago when I did it and the engine was out. Can't remember the reasoning, but when I did the research, I believe it was Mark W. that suggested that location as being ideal. I can't see that it would make that much of a difference tho.

John

Same here. I've had them in both the 2nd and 3rd freeze plug locations. There is sufficient room in both cavities for the heater element, but one location may be better than the other based on exhaust manifold/header/EGR proximity on the outside. They last a long time, considering the heat they see near the exhaust, but you want to cook the wiring and connector as little as possible and you want freeze plug removal and heater installation to be as easy as possible.

IIRC, there may be interference in the 1st and 4th plug locations for the heating element.

I used the 3rd one back from the radiator.
That one will be hard for you to reach with your headers and the engine installed.

It was over a decade ago when I did it and the engine was out. Can't remember the reasoning, but when I did the research, I believe it was Mark W. that suggested that location as being ideal. I can't see that it would make that much of a difference tho.

John

Little off topic but whats the best way to pop a frost plug out? Ive never had to do it but my newly aquired 45 doesnt have a block heater and im gonna need one around here.

You can drill a hole in them and pry them out with a screwdriver. I think I may have just punched a screwdriver or chisel through at least one, but it's easier to drill, if you have access. Drain the block first, of course. :D

Little off topic but whats the best way to pop a frost plug out? Ive never had to do it but my newly aquired 45 doesnt have a block heater and im gonna need one around here.

I usually knock them in all the way and hold on to them. Then I grab them with channel locks and pop them right out. They come out real easy when they are coming out of the hole sideways.

Resurrecting an old thread, about to install a block heater in my wifes FJ40 2F which has headers on it. Can I use the 1st freeze plug location? Significantly easier installation and would be much less heat pumping into the wiring from the headers. Same header as the OP of this thread, has two down pipes right over and close to the 2nd and 3rd plugs.

Thanks!
Clark

1000004619.jpg

I had already knocked out the #1 plug before the above post, so went ahead and put the heater in to seal it up. The element won't fit at the 1200 position as it contacts the block. Will it be an issue with it clicked back like this, therefore requiring moving it to the 2nd or 3rd plug?

The clocking does not affect anything except possibly the fit/installation, depending on the shape of the particular plug/element that you use. If it installed... it is good.

(I am not sure, but I think that I have installed freeze plug heaters in every one of of the possible locations on the left side of the block in the 2&3 F engines at one time or the other.)

Mark...

Excellent, I was hoping this was the case. I couldn't imagine any reason the clocking would change anything, but I barely qualify as a shade tree mechanic, so figured I had best double check. Going to put on in my 60 here soon too, it's not super cold here (mid-upper 20's most of the winter) but our commutes are 10-30 minutes depending on which hospital I'm at. With a mere 10min drive the warmup time is 50% of that just to get a good clean idle, and having heat on the drive would be nice. Cheers!

Clark

FYI, I'd recommend replacing them every 35 years or so. I had one very similar to that one blow out and lost most of my coolant while driving... which was less than ideal. I believe it was 41 when it failed.

Last edited:
I'm 42. I feel it's pain. 😄
50 is just around the corner… :(

Oh to be 18 again… I’d build my 40 quite differently… and have time to finish it.

Knowing what I know now? Screw building a 40 differently, I'd build my whole life differently. 😆
Truer words have not been spoken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom