blinker & wiper reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if I can use the US spec blinker on my HDJ81? Its getting a bit wacky with me when I use other cars and the cruiser. The steering has not been a problem but the lane changes have been. I keep turning on the wipers. If at least all the cars had the blinkers in the same position it would solve that issue :hillbilly:

I found this one on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

No idea if it can be switched but am surprised to find that the controls on the column are mirror images on the rhd vehicles. I would guess they can be switched out but wonder why they did that in the first place. Makes me second guess the interchangeability of parts. Maybe not enough clearance for the control arms with the door? Just throwing out ideas without any real experience hoping someone else will chime in and give a valid answer.

You could look up an online parts catalogue and compare the differences from there, you will need the model number of your car and the car that the switch assembly is for.

I'm not sure about the rules so I won't link one but they are not hard to find.

I would also be worried about clearance.
Try to get a decent measurement of your current RHD stalks to see how far they stick out from the steering column center. then flip those measurements and see if it looks like there will be an interference.
I don't think the wiring should be different, but maybe check a wiring diagram to make sure they didn't have a different pin-out as well. Otherwise you might need to move some pins in the connector to make it work.

I wouldn't bother, you'll get used to it. I go back and forth on a regular basis.

I also have a HDJ81 and often hit the wipers when turning left!

Here is my theory as to why the turn signal is always on the door-side of the steering column: I believe its placement is related to the driver's ability to shift a vehicle (in a manual transmission) and be able to signal lane changes at the same time - while maintaining steering control as well. In the hierarchy of function - it looks like signaling is more important that wiper control....probably due to the amount of use. Wipers can be set on or off (and only used when raining).

Seems like it would be more work than it's worth. After a couple months of driving RHD I'm getting better, but on any of the vehicles I drive, LHD or RHD, I'm occasionally hitting the wipers instead.

Just laugh about it, rather than worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom