Big Bend Sugestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm planning to take a trip to Big Bend with the family in two weeks as the kids have their Spring Break from school.

It will be our first time there. From what I've researched, the State Park has more allure for our style of camping as it is more remote. I would definitely like to check the sites on the National Park as well though. I'll be heading out early on the 12th, drive straight there in one go. And plan to stay in the area until the 17th or 18th and head back home in two days, taking it easy. So we actually have 4 full days in the Park(s). I know I can't see it all in one visit, so would appreciate any suggestions regarding "must see" places, nice secluded camp spots (should I make camp spot reservations?) and trails to take.

I understand it is a pretty remote place and there are no stores. Is there any fuel station outside of the park within reasonable driving distance? Or should I plan on taking some extra fuel?

Is it practical to drive out to replenish on the groceries? Or should I just take all I'll be needing for 4-6 days?

I have a 13 Gallon inboard water tank. I figure that plus extra liquids (gatorade, sodas, etc should be enough... beer, lets not forget the beer :)). Please correct me if I'm wrong (we are 4 people and do plan to hike).

Any hot springs ? Rivers or water pools where we can take a dip in?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thx!

Hey Silviu, take a peek at this thread to see if it can give you some pointers.

Big Bend Trip Report

We made the trip from the State Park Ranch to the National Park. You'll find that the State Park has little to no ammenities and the National Park has a store for groceries, etc. On the way from the SP to NP you can replenish on groceries, firewood, etc. I think 13 gallons is enough water storage as long as you top off as needed.

No reservations in advance for the backcountry campsites. Prepare to be at either park before the ranger station closes to book sites (you'll need to sit down with them and plan what days and what sites are available).

BBRSP only has one entrance and its on the west side. No fuel, no groceries, has showers. Fuel up in Presidio if coming from north, Lajitas if coming BBNP.
Ranger station is 27mi inside park on dirt road (takes about an hr?) and closes at 5 or 6pm.

BBNP allows no ground fires. Charcoal cooking is ok. Can't remember about gas campfire in a can dealios. Gas, basic convenience store items, showers available in BBNP like Duc said and restaurants in Terlingua as well.

The drive along the Rio Grande on 170 is a beautiful drive.

Everything is far apart. Factor extra time for travel btw points.

Though it may be blisteringly hot during day during spring break, night time temps can drop very dramatically and be quite chilly.

Have fun and enjoy the night skies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom