Best Mods under $50... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this is a great thread. i got lots of cheapy things i can do to the rig this weekend.

can't believe i have been driving around listening w/o a fire extinguisher this whole time :eek:
especially after seeing the post on here with the 60 that caught fire.

best mod

For me the best mod is the 5 speed h55f. however that is above the $50.
I would say the best $50 dollar mod would be my $10 center console attachment. I built and plywood "second level" for my console and coverd it and padded it so now I have a arm rest and tons of storage. I would say the wood was $4 and the vynal and foam was $6 but I have tons left over . I didnt like how the tuffy one was so far to the right due to the e- brake(that and the $200 price) so I extended the lid to the left so I can reach it better. I still can use the original console storage , however I need to make a stronger cable.

attachment.php

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3800&stc=1
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 001.jpg

Panama,

Nice work with the seats. I'm probably going to be doing that to my seat cushion bolsters real soon.

Cahil

New hood bumpers helped the hood from rattling so much. I got mine from CCOT. Most OEM bumpers I have seen are shot. ~$10.

New brake and pedal pads always add a nice look ~$7

best mod by far would be grounding my fuel cut off selinoid...truck ran like new then...

I really like this mounting bracket for the GPS. It attaches to the windshield via suction so that there are no unwanted holes in the dash.

010-10361-00.jpg

The key rattle thing... an even better solution.

I've been using those self adhesive felt furniture foot pads for the key/steering column noise problem. You can get pre-cut pieces, or a large (4"x6") sheet and cut your own to fit. The peel-off adhesive backing makes the job easy. $2.49 at home depot and looks uber clean - well probably better than a hunk of aunt betty's green shag...

I did this mod to the 40 and planned it for the 60 but went with an auto intstead and can't find a good reason to do it now, HAND THROTTLE made from $5 worth of old ten speed parts. Simple mod yet priceless for me on the 40. Also on the 40 and to be copied on my 60, $45 for 3 sets of $15 little driving lights attached to the frame and front axle for rock lights. They came with wiring relays and switches (mine are all on one switch). These also work great when you need to be under the truck at night or even a night time tire change. $15 walmart seat caddy things on the backs of both front seats. They're like a backpack (kinda) and they hold all kinds of extra junk, like the kids juice box and that ever elusive roll of TP.

Favorite add-on for ~50 bucks would definately be a twin air mattress for camping - it fits perfectly with the backseat and tailgate down. I also took an old tent, cut a big hole in the floor of it, and wrap it around the open tailgate and attach to my wheels and roof rack leaving the tent door as my door in and out of the back of the truck. The set up sleeps two extremely comfortably.

DitchCruiser said:
Favorite add-on for ~50 bucks would definately be a twin air mattress for camping - it fits perfectly with the backseat and tailgate down. I also took an old tent, cut a big hole in the floor of it, and wrap it around the open tailgate and attach to my wheels and roof rack leaving the tent door as my door in and out of the back of the truck. The set up sleeps two extremely comfortably.

Cool tent idea. I'll have to try that.

FJ 62 Glove Box Grab Handle

Mouse Pad cut to line center stock console pockets

Fire Extinguisher (at foot of drivers seat)

Mag Light (clamped under drivers seat but still accessible w/o opening door)

Hi Lift (60" may be a little over $50)

Hi Lift Winch Kit (for those of us without..)

home made Hi Lift base plate

Extended Breathers (7/32" tubing w/ hoseclamps and fuel filters)

Hella H4 headlamps (eBayed for about $50)

And new horn(s), I skimped though and didn't get Hellas

Loving this thread and making a list of things to do next..
FE&mag.JPG

Jman said:
KLF, you are a genius--the tap tap tap was getting to me recently.

I'll second that. Gonna do this mod as soon as I get home.

The deep-groove cheap rubber floormats are a great mod. On the same aisle at the *Mart of your choice, we bought two visor covers: the left one has CDs, a place for a pen, and a place for sunglasses, the right one has a zip pouch (holds a few documents well, like the registration), a slot for a pen, and a mesh pouch that holds random little thingies like chapstick. Total cost was less than $20 for the two.

If you already have a Tuffy console, a cheap mod is to get some rubber non-skid at the hardware store and line the bottom of the tuffy and the cupholders with it. Makes stuff quieter, easy to clean.

Extend diff breathers. Takes little time, cost is just a few yards of fuel line.

On an ARB bumper: weld on a hilift point to the corners. We used some scrap 1/2" sheet, cut a hole out for the hilift and just welded it on. Cost about $4 but that was at a little shop in San Felipe, Mexico.

Fire extinguiser mounts nicely below the driver's seat.

Get a little magnetic base bowl (I think we got ours at Summit as a freebie with an order). I stick mine to the back of the wheelwell, inside the truck. It always holds onto at least a few screws or bolts as they rattle out or I don't quite finish re-installing something...

Better speakers up front. We bought some at Circuit City or somewhere for about $40/pr. Huge improvement in the sound quality. 20 minute install job.

Small bungee cords (the really small ones) under the seats help keep the toolkit and other junk from falling out when you open the door. Less than $2

Paper towels: take a bungee cord and stretch it from the driver's side grab handle to the handle in the backseat. Slide a roll of blue shop towels over that. Towels are always in reach, stay dry(er) and clean(er) than anywhere else I've tried to stuff them. Many thanks to Tom Boyd for this free mod (assumes you own a bungee cord and shop towels)

Hood lock: a length of chain or steel cable can be strung through the holes in the front of the hood and draped behind the grill (in front of the radiator) to the frame rail, where you can lock with a padlock. $10.

RainX antifog. Applied to the inside of the windshield. Helps.

sandcruiser said:
On an ARB bumper: weld on a hilift point to the corners. We used some scrap 1/2" sheet, cut a hole out for the hilift and just welded it on. Cost about $4 but that was at a little shop in San Felipe, Mexico.

Do you have pics of your hi-lift points?

Thanks! Very simple, kind of what I was picturing in my mind.

Nice tent. You can put those pics right in your message, as below, just use the little icon with the mountain and sun on it.

tucson.jpg

cover.jpg

ARB makes a Hi-Lift mount for their bumpers. I have one, never used it though.

TJK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom