Best 3" (three inch) lift kit for the money. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought an '08 FJ. I'm a LandCruiser guy and have a '78 FJ40 for serious off-roading. But the wife snd I wanted something more comfortable for trips, daily driver and some mid-range off roadng, so I bought an FJ.

A mild lift is in order for the FJ, I'd like to run 33's. Money is tight at the moment, so I am avoiding higher end supsension options.

My choices are the following and the prices include shipping to me on the East Coast:

3" Rough Country leveling kit with front spacer, rear coils and shocks - $270.

2.5" Billstein leveling kit with adjustable front shocks and rear shocks w/rear spacers - $370.

3" Pro Comp lift with front and rear coils and 4 shocks - $470.

Opinions?

I'd try to be patient enough to save the $$ for an OME kit.

But, so much depends upon intended/potential use...

+1

I've installed a bunch of lifts on FJC's. The OME is the best bang for the buck, though there are better ones out there for more money.

I'll also echo OME
You can prob find a deal on a used as well if you want. (blue room has some pop up every so often)

I'd run heavies up front/med rear if you plan to add bumper winch etc...

Almost went for the Ironman, but found a good used OME - very happy w it!

Last edited:
I'll also echo OME
You can prob find a deal on a used as well if you want. (blue room has some pop up every so often)

I'd run heavies up front/med rear if you plan to add bumper winch etc...don't

Almost went for the Ironman, but found a good used OME - very happy w it!

What is "blue room" ?

Ironman and OME seem to be priced around the same $760 delivered.

Although I greatly appreciate all the input on the OME, I'd like to get this thread back on the original track. There are reasons I picked the choices I provided and it wasn't done without researching each one here on MUD, the FJ Cruiser forum and Google.

The OME is actually a 2" lift, not a 3". New bumpers are probably a year or so away, so I would have to go with the light version now and then upgrade next year to a heavy spring. Plus the $760 delivered cost is well outside my budget.

There is a reason I picked the 3 suspension options that I presented - I only have about $2500 available to spend on the truck. I need skidplating, rails, and tires which is going to burn a bit over 2 grand.

I need a lift to clear the larger tires that I will be purchasing within the next couple months and to provide more clearance on the trails I typically run. The stock 265/70/16 BFG LongTrails have 32K on them and just don't cut it in the mud we encounter here in the NorthEast. Since I am replacing tires, I might as well get the appropriate size and type. I'm either going to go with a 235/85/16 or 285/75/16.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck for a lift that will make the truck handle as well or better than stock.

The RC lift is a cheap way to get by for now, although folks who have them seem to love them and I can add upgrades over time.

The Bilstein lift has the advantage of front shocks that can be set for different lift amounts. (The Bilstein kit I showed on eBay doesn't have the rear spacers, but the kit I am buying does have them, they just didn't have a good picture of the kit.) This kit would allow me to upgrade to heavier/taller springs in the future if I need them, maybe OME's.

The ProComp kit is a fixed lift, but the springs are taller than stock. A lot of bang for the buck based on what I have read in the forums.

In a perfect world, I would be doing an Icon lift or something like that after stopping by to pick up my lottery winnings ;)

Well, you can infer that since I encouraged another package what I think of the lifts you mentioned, I'm familiar with the packages you mentioned.

Old Man Emu does not give a lift amount though some of their vendors do. An OME package will "lift" the vehicle dependent upon the springs selected and the weight loaded on the vehicle. If you want a 3" lift, you should get adjustable coil overs so you can dial in the 3". I got over 3" with OME 885/N140 front, 895/N17e on the rear, with a Demello steel bumper and Warn winch up front.

The best "bang for your buck" is the components installed that don't need replacing or upgrading. You do know that putting a lift on and taller tires will NOT make the FJC handle better, right? I'm not sure I'd put that skinny of a tire as the 235/85/16, but I do think the 255/85/16 is the best size tire for the FJC. The BFG KM2's in 255/85/16 is a great tire IMHO.

But, back to your original question...not a fan of spacers or ProComp, but that is just me. Sorry to not answer your question. Good luck with your decisions...

Well, you can infer that since I encouraged another package what I think of the lifts you mentioned, I'm familiar with the packages you mentioned.

Old Man Emu does not give a lift amount though some of their vendors do. An OME package will "lift" the vehicle dependent upon the springs selected and the weight loaded on the vehicle. If you want a 3" lift, you should get adjustable coil overs so you can dial in the 3". I got over 3" with OME 885/N140 front, 895/N17e on the rear, with a Demello steel bumper and Warn winch up front.

The best "bang for your buck" is the components installed that don't need replacing or upgrading. You do know that putting a lift on and taller tires will NOT make the FJC handle better, right? I'm not sure I'd put that skinny of a tire as the 235/85/16, but I do think the 255/85/16 is the best size tire for the FJC. The BFG KM2's in 255/85/16 is a great tire IMHO.

But, back to your original question...not a fan of spacers or ProComp, but that is just me. Sorry to not answer your question. Good luck with your decisions...

I know that a lift and taller tires doesn't improve handling, but a longer travel suspension and shocks will improve handling within the same parameters. If I could fit a bigger tire in the wheel well without a lift, that would be the way I'd go for now. I'll add the KM2 in the 255/85/16 to my list for consideration. I plan on putting the KM2's on my Tan 40.

What are you running for suspension and tires on yours at the moment.

I appreciate the input.

...not a fan of spacers or ProComp, but that is just me.

Me also. Friends don't let friends run spacers.

I installed a ProComp lift on a big charity build for a deployed army Ranger; he had bought it and wanted it on. I was not impressed with the quality, the pieces, the instructions, or anything. The front coils later wore out and poked through the top retainer when he wheeled it. Basically junk IMO.

Larry, you are welcome to drive mine at the Meet and Greet or the Spring Meeting. I run OME heavies with 315/75/16 KM2s. These trucks are 4 years old now and enough experience with the different setups has been gathered to highly recommend the OME. Perhaps you can acquire the OME components via the used market? There are folks now who are parting their trucks to put them back to stock for higher trade-in values. Check classifieds on FJNortheasters website.

Sounds like a great offer to me - Thanks!

FWIW, I have Icon coilovers on the front of mine and OME coils and shocks on the rear and I've been very happy with them for almost 100,000 miles, but just today I installed a Sway-A-Way front and rear setup for a charity auction winner and all I can say is WOW! Those components were a work of art! Absolutely top-shelf quality, everything fit perfectly the first time, the easiest lift install ever. Rides like a dream, without the front sway bar. Made in the U.S.A. Sway-A-Way just went to the top of my recommendation list for anyone who wants the very best in FJC suspensions. Disclaimer: not affiliated with them in any way, not even as a customer.

I would echo HJ-45 Crewcab's comments on folks parting out their rigs. Recently we have several available ion the FJ Northeasters sites. While not answering your question I would recommend IronMan's kits. The distributor is in NJ so shipping is significantly cheaper than other vendors given your location.

Check out Camel 4x4 and Outdoor for 4x4 Parts and Accessories. Sign up for his news letter as he offers discounts to the recipients of the news letter.

I will soon be in the same camp as 1911 and Mtbcoach. Installing Icon front coilovers in a couple weeks and keeping OME in the rear. My poor OME front struts have served their time (almost 75K).

What are the opinions on the old Downey front kits? HD Bilstein Racing Shocks and easily adjustable as the adjustment ring is at the bottom.

I am probably going to add an ARB front bumper sooner than later now that they are well under $1000 including shipping to my location. Is this suspension compatible?
downey kit.jpg

caution "blue room"

What is "blue room" ?
Ive been on the blue room since Oct, make sure when you go there you use the "search function" any time some one asks a question thats been asked before ,You're sure to get some smart ass reminding you of that.Trust me it happens all the time,and no not just to me.This forum is a lot more friendlier for ?'s, Although you can get a lot of good info there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom