Best 3" (three inch) lift kit for the money. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don't know much about Downey - didn't know they had FJC options.

As for blue room comment, this is the best part of the FJCForum, hands down: CONTENTS: Read First - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
(Thanks to LandCruiserSteve for organizing it)

Well, you can infer that since I encouraged another package what I think of the lifts you mentioned, I'm familiar with the packages you mentioned.

Old Man Emu does not give a lift amount though some of their vendors do. An OME package will "lift" the vehicle dependent upon the springs selected and the weight loaded on the vehicle. If you want a 3" lift, you should get adjustable coil overs so you can dial in the 3". I got over 3" with OME 885/N140 front, 895/N17e on the rear, with a Demello steel bumper and Warn winch up front.

The best "bang for your buck" is the components installed that don't need replacing or upgrading. You do know that putting a lift on and taller tires will NOT make the FJC handle better, right? I'm not sure I'd put that skinny of a tire as the 235/85/16, but I do think the 255/85/16 is the best size tire for the FJC. The BFG KM2's in 255/85/16 is a great tire IMHO.

But, back to your original question...not a fan of spacers or ProComp, but that is just me. Sorry to not answer your question. Good luck with your decisions...

Thanks for pointing out your build link - impressive. I may wind up that way if I decide to go 100% with the FJC. I still love my 40 and have it built for fairly serious work, but it's a bear to go very far from the home base. And the gas mileage is less than 1/2 what I'm getting with the stock FJC. I know that will go down as I add mods, but I expect I can keep it around 15-17.

Don't know much about Downey - didn't know they had FJC options.

As for blue room comment, this is the best part of the FJCForum, hands down: CONTENTS: Read First - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
(Thanks to LandCruiserSteve for organizing it)

They were getting into FJ's before they went out of biz. I believe this setup was over a grand originally. They also had a Porsche CV joint option that had more range and strength.

One great feature of this is that the adjusters are at the bottom of the shock so it is easier to access them and change the height.

Ive been on the blue room since Oct, make sure when you go there you use the "search function" any time some one asks a question thats been asked before ,You're sure to get some smart ass reminding you of that.Trust me it happens all the time,and no not just to me.This forum is a lot more friendlier for ?'s, Although you can get a lot of good info there.

That's a good reminder for anyone here or over there or on any forum.

I learned a long time ago on MUD that you research before asking and have always tried to apply that here, as well as on the other 4-5 motorcycle, boat and snowmobile forums I search for my other recreational toys. I will be sure to do so in the blue room and FJNortheasters. The internet is a wonderful place and mostly friendly, but some folks get off on being vigilantes.

I live next to one with his own radar gun. The police had to take him to court and get an injunction against him because he was calling 911 every day.

...I live next to one with his own radar gun. The police had to take him to court and get an injunction against him because he was calling 911 every day.

That's hilarious.

As another active member of the 'Blue Room' I can confirm the constant replies of "Why don't you try SEARCH?" Unfortunately these are being directed mostly at new members who are just figuring things out and need some friendly help, not a backhanded suggestion. Admittedly the forum's search function sucks, and that is a constant source of complaints as well. Mostly I just stick with Google because when I search for FJ-related things I have a better chance of it taking me straight to the correct page on the FJ Forum. Likewise Google brought me here when I started looking into offroad trailers...

:cheers:

Last edited:
My search for the best 3" kit for the money has taken a big detour. As followers of this thread recall, part of my budget constraints was due to my wanting to add some skid plating and rock rails as one of my first investments.

Much of the ice has melted off my driveway so I decided to run the FJC up on my ramps to get a better idea what is on the bottom. I can se that skid plating is a definite need, especially under the t-case/exhaust crossover area and the fuel tank. Mine is an automatic, and although that is well up between the rails, a plate to protect the pan would be nice. I'm probably going to go with the complete BudBuilt or Ricochet systems. But, I digress.

I discovered that my FJ has the silver TT Edition Bilsteins. ToyTec makes a 0-3" adjustable coilover kit that retains the stock my Bilsteins. That should allow me to adjust for an aftermarket bumper later on without swapping out my front suspension.

I also bought a used pair of OME medium rears from a local club member that should add about 2" in the back. My next search is to determine if they will work with my Bilsteins or if I will have to go to a longer version.

I discovered that my FJ has the silver TT Edition Bilsteins. ToyTec makes a 0-3" adjustable coilover kit that retains the stock my Bilsteins. That should allow me to adjust for an aftermarket bumper later on without swapping out my front suspension.

I also bought a used pair of OME medium rears from a local club member that should add about 2" in the back. My next search is to determine if they will work with my Bilsteins or if I will have to go to a longer version.

As I understand it the Bilstein shocks can be used with some aftermarket springs, but in the end they still don't have enough damping force to make it a proper combination. They'd probably be okay for a while but the stiffer/longer springs would shorten the Bilsteins' service life considerably.

As I understand it the Bilstein shocks can be used with some aftermarket springs, but in the end they still don't have enough damping force to make it a proper combination. They'd probably be okay for a while but the stiffer/longer springs would shorten the Bilsteins' service life considerably.

Appreciate the input. First I have heard this problem with damping, the Rep at Toytec didn't mention it. Most folks seem to rave about the ToyTecs kit that utilizes the original front Billy fronts. The rears may need changing out due to the extra travel if I use the extended ToyTec springs in the back. I do know that I don't have enough spring in the front for some of the onroad stuff I am encountering now at speed with all the bad frost heaves. (Do they have those in Tejas?) I feel ike I am bottoming out from a lack of travel rather than damping.

Appreciate the input. First I have heard this problem with damping, the Rep at Toytec didn't mention it. Most folks seem to rave about the ToyTecs kit that utilizes the original front Billy fronts. The rears may need changing out due to the extra travel if I use the extended ToyTec springs in the back. I do know that I don't have enough spring in the front for some of the onroad stuff I am encountering now at speed with all the bad frost heaves. (Do they have those in Tejas?) I feel ike I am bottoming out from a lack of travel rather than damping.

Having increased compression damping would reduce/eliminate the bottoming out. It's a balance of spring load, compression and rebound damping.

The reason "most rave" about such kits is that "most" don't push their rigs. It's a fine set up for it's intended market...

Having increased compression damping would reduce/eliminate the bottoming out. It's a balance of spring load, compression and rebound damping.

The reason "most rave" about such kits is that "most" don't push their rigs. It's a fine set up for it's intended market...

Hello, do you think that if I buy the complete boss suspension system from Toltec I gonna have this bottoming out problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom