Bed liner Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am building a bumper for my Ford (tow rig) that was built by a buddy of mine for his Dodge. I am modifying it with a tow plate and some other goodies.

The problem I am having is that he covered the WHOLE thing with this spray on (maybe Herculiner) junk. I would like to strip it because the top is stainless diamond plate and then have the rest Vortex bedlined, when my bed gets done.

Any ideas how I can get this junk OFF? I have tried burning it with propane torch, carb cleaner, Acetone, and it seams to get crispy when I cut near it with a plasma cutter. :banana:

Is it the stuff that dries up really hard? If so, wire wheel or flap wheel on a 7" grinder.

I'm not even sure they make flap wheels for 7" grinders. A 4.5" also works...just takes longer..lol.

Is it the stuff that dries up really hard? If so, wire wheel or flap wheel on a 7" grinder.

I'm not even sure they make flap wheels for 7" grinders. A 4.5" also works...just takes longer..lol.

THat would work fine, but its on diamond plate and not on the flat. Those areas are easy.

I've heard that brake fluid will take it off.

Try some different paint strippers... Problem- they only work well in warm temperatures and DO NOT USE it without respirator or supplied air and if you do it indoors don't do it in a garage attached to a house- NASTY! I don't know if it will work, just an idea.

The PO of my '78 covered the entire floor with Herculiner. Get yourself a :beer:, grab an old wood chisel with a sharp edge, and start scraping. The stuff on mine peels right off with the chisel.

Anothe vote for wire wheel.

I have tried brake clean, brake fluid, acetone, laquer thinner, all seamed to only scrach the surface. Now I am onto 5F5, commonly known as airplane stripper... This stuff is nasty, but it seams to be working. Still need to apply multiple coats, but its a jelly substance that sits where you put it and dosnt run off.

After I get 99% of it off, then il hit it again with the wire wheel to shine it up.

removal

If the coating is not a roll on but a high pressure spray on such as line-x, armacoating or gatorhide it can be removed with an airchisel and a box cutter, just cut parallel lines with the box cutter and then use the airchisel between the lines is not fast or easy but it works, I have removed a few of them in the past, you can also use a grinder and a cup wirewheel.
I have never remoded a roll on like herculiner or a low pressure coating like rhino liner, vortex or reflex.

Pat, the airplane stripper is probably your best bet (sounds like its working). I don't think I've ever seen anything eat away at paint, etc like that stuff.

Pat, the airplane stripper is probably your best bet (sounds like its working). I don't think I've ever seen anything eat away at paint, etc like that stuff.

First post and its in my thread, I am touched Matt! :sniffsniffteartear:
:flipoff2:

Yea I plan on buying another jug of it and going to town next week. This weekend I am building the 40's drivetrain.
:clap:

I just took most of the herculiner out of mine this weekend and recoated with the same stuff. It peels up better than trying to grind through it. So, what worked for me was aircraft remover and a pressure washer set on destroy. The pressure washer got underneath it and it came up in sheets. Worked great. Wood chisel for the rest. Left some of it on in hard to reach and low traffic areas, since I was reapplying.

theres a product that eastwood sells when i was browsing through there catalog thats an aerosol that is specifically for removing undercoat.

wire wheel on an angle grinder.

I had it on the lower panel on the outside of my 85 toy pickup bed when I bought it. It was rhinolining, and it came off in almost one comlpete sheet with a heat gun and a putty knife. Took me about an hour to get it off both sides with ease. I'm not sure if it will come off in the same manner using heat if it's a cheaper brand, but it's worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom