April ROTM - Montana Mountain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks Brice for taking the time to post them up!

I see the almond tequila made an appearance:hillbilly:

Yay! I finally made it. This is my first official post! (It is Tina Samuel, by the way)
Had a great weekend with everyone, thank you.
@LongDuck Hey Thomas, post up the recipe for cobbler when you get a chance, please. It was so yummy!

P.S. Anyone know what six rims will fit on my 200?:flipoff2:

Brice, Thanks foe the photos. The long shot of the rigs was cool

@aztlctina , 17" is the smallest diameter rim.

:)

Thanks to everyone who came out on this run. Thanks to Phil for taking over as the guide, my navigation skills are suspect.

My dad had a great time, and the whole way home, he talked about how much he enjoyed himself and how impressed he was with everyone and their rigs. Thanks for showing him such a good time.

Fun weekend! Nice to meet new faces and always a good time with the old. Beautiful trail and kids can't wait to go back to the cottonwood grove.
20160423_130653.jpg
20160423_131807.jpg
20160423_133739.jpg
20160423_143441.jpg
20160423_144041.jpg

A few more pics from us.

Here are a few I took

Here lizard, lizard

Tall pines

Last picture is looking from the top of the mountain back to where everyone was on the hill inspecting LongDucks fuel leak.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Good times! Thank you all for another great weekend with you all. I laughed to my self in my staff meeting today thinking of what Oscar found so tasty on Sunday morning:) Did someone sell a Buick? See you soon Cruiser family!

Sorry I missed you guys again. Here's what I came away with from the day with my boy. Shot with my S7 Edge. Not the greatest editing but have never done it before.

Alright, here's @brittan 's hand-me-down recipe for Dutch Oven Cobbler;

Ingredients:
2 large cans of halved peaches in syrup (or water, more on that later) - if you want peach cobbler, of course.
1 box yellow cake mix
1 full stick of salted butter
12" cast iron Dutch Oven, (but I'm thinking of switching to a 10" aluminum for size/weight/portions... Get the liners, they make cleanup easy)
1 hot fire - thanks to the kids for getting it going and keeping it going, though they didn't get any cobbler out of their effort!

Preparation:
1. Rub the stick of butter evenly on the bottom of the cold Dutch Oven to coat the surface. This helps with non-stick, or use the aluminum liners, but I noticed it changed the flavor just a bit.
2. Open cans of peaches and use a fork to remove them, letting them drain as much as possible - and put them in the bottom of the Dutch Oven, spreading them out evenly. Keep the syrup/water in the can. (*For better 'rise' use peaches in water. For more 'sweet', use peaches in syrup. I used syrup last weekend.)
3. Open Cake Mix and mix 1/3 into each can of water/syrup using a fork to blend it into a smooth mixture. Keep 1/3 dry in the bag. Pour the mixture from the cans over the peaches as evenly as possible.
4. Take the dry Cake Mix remaining and pour it evenly into the Dutch Oven. This is what makes the 'crust', so try to get it as even as possible, and try to keep the clumps together for that cobbler texture.
5. Cut Salted Butter into pats as thin as possible, and tile the top of everything in the Dutch Oven. This will melt into the dry Cake Mix and make the browned top coat. Place the cover on the Dutch Oven.

Cooking:
6. Make an even bed of hot coals and place the Dutch Oven right in the middle.
7. Shovel some hot coals onto the top of the oven, and try to avoid ash/dirt on the top. You want more heat on top than on the bottom to bake the surface into a crust.
8. Bake for 45min - every 10min, rotate the Dutch Oven 180deg, and rotate the lid 180deg (*this helps to distribute the heat evenly). As you near the 45min mark, open the Dutch Oven and check progress. Baking may take a little longer depending on how many coals you used, and how many times you opened the Dutch Oven to check on it.
9. When you open the Dutch Oven, use your lid remover to clean off as much of the coals from the lid as possible. Also, I found that knocking the aluminum liner edge down the sides helped to prevent 'funneling' of the ash into the cobbler... after the fact! Live and learn.
10. Lastly, enjoy with friends!

If you do it right, it looks like this after everybody's eaten their fill:
14a96s6.jpg

My wife likes to add her personal touch by pre-mixing cinnamon, crushed walnuts or almonds, brown sugar, and vanilla into a small sandwich bag and I add this to the top of the pats of butter before it goes on the fire. Astute cobbler afficianado's recognize the extra flavors and I think it makes for a great fireside dessert that can be shared with everyone!

Last edited:
<drool> :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom