Anyone here have any experience with Sequoias? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice set up Thriller!!!

sequoia.jpg

Go for it. You won't regret it. I've got an '07, so there are some differences, and wouldn't trade it for anything (except an '07 LC :)

The real differences are in the fit and finish of components. For example - my father in law's '99 cruiser has better fit and finish than my '07 Sequoia.

For the same years the Land Cruiser and Sequoia should have the same motor and trans, maybe t-case and axles/gearing. Not sure.
Engine isn't quite the same. The Cruiser version has stronger rods and os suitable for Supercharging. I am very impressed with the Sequoia version though. Even at 380000 km you could ballance a nickle on the engine cover. Front end is all similar between the 100 series and Sequia. Tcase, rear axle all different. More like the 150 series (4runner FJC etc)

It doesn't feel big but the Sequoia is much larger than the LandCruiser. If you need the space, you'll be happy. The penalty is in the departure angle.

Engine isn't quite the same. The Cruiser version has stronger rods and os suitable for Supercharging. I am very impressed with the Sequoia version though. Even at 380000 km you could ballance a nickle on the engine cover. Front end is all similar between the 100 series and Sequia. Tcase, rear axle all different. More like the 150 series (4runner FJC etc)

It doesn't feel big but the Sequoia is much larger than the LandCruiser. If you need the space, you'll be happy. The penalty is in the departure angle.

Just found out the other day that the LC/LX motors have stronger rods and are beefier and I thought of this thread when the expert said it!!! Thanks for correcting my post. My Sequoia has 155,000 miles on it and it runs wonderfully.

So, the Sequoia has just recently popped up on my radar screen as a possibility. I have a 15 month old daughter, a Beagle, and a decent amount of outdoor gear considering we are an active family, even more so as the weather changes. I know that I do not necessarily need that much room but after spending time in similarly priced alternatives, the Seq is the best option. I am 6'4" and the 4th gen T4R is uncomfortable, and more expensive for higher mileage. The GX470 is a nice place to be but WAY too much money for higher mileage. I started looking a GMT800 Tahoes and although the drivetrains are amazing, the seats suck and the 1/2 ton IFS front blows once you start putting larger tires on there.

I had a 60 series and an LR D1 that were WAY over built for what I needed. Reality is, if I can clear 33s comfortably, throw some sliders and a winch on there and run the greens and blues at a place like RC4x4, I would be more than happy.

So, is there a buyers guide for what to look for? This will be my DD and recreation mobile. My daughter loves to be outside and this would be the vehicle to take us as far as its size will allow. Is the '05 later part time or full time? Wiki talks about it switching that year? Is that true? I have found one locally, an '07 with 99k miles. What is available aftermarket wise? My "build" would not really be intense: 33's, locked rear, winch/ winch bumper, skids and sliders, and an extra light or two.

Last edited:
So, the Sequoia has just recently popped up on my radar screen as a possibility. I have a 15 month old daughter, a Beagle, and a decent amount of outdoor gear considering we are an active family, even more so as the weather changes. I know that I do not necessarily need that much room but after spending time in similarly priced alternatives, the Seq is the best option. I am 6'4" and the 4th gen T4R is uncomfortable, and more expensive for higher mileage. The GX470 is a nice place to be but WAY too much money for higher mileage. I started looking a GMT800 Tahoes and although the drivetrains are amazing, the seats suck and the 1/2 ton IFS front blows once you start putting larger tires on there.

I had a 60 series and an LR D1 that were WAY over built for what I needed. Reality is, if I can clear 33s comfortably, throw some sliders and a winch on there and run the greens and blues at a place like RC4x4, I would be more than happy.

So, is there a buyers guide for what to look for? This will be my DD and recreation mobile. My daughter loves to be outside and this would be the vehicle to take us as far as its size will allow. Is the '05 later part time or full time? Wiki talks about it switching that year? Is that true? I have found one locally, an '07 with 99k miles. What is available aftermarket wise? My "build" would not really be intense: 33's, locked rear, winch/ winch bumper, skids and sliders, and an extra light or two.

Derelict - I love my '07 Sequoia. Mine is a 4x4 Limited with ~158,000 miles. I love it. Not sure what you mean by '05 later part time or full time. I'm assuming you mean 4WD? If so, it's part time. You lock it in, unlike the 100 series. Mine is leather, captains chairs (I strongly recommend), pearlescent white (don't know the code). Tows great, handles great, turns great, great power, etc. It's a nice compromise when comparing it to the Tahoe/Suburban, because it has extra space behind the third row, but is shorter than the loooonnnggg suburban. Aftermarket is a little thin compared to other models, but you can still get stuff done. Sliders are out there, a bumper would be custom, but you can get them (First gen bumpers are out there because of the similarities with the Tundra of that period). For 33's you'd probably want 1.5-2 inch lift so you don't rub when turning or on bumps.

I think you'd really like the Sequoia. Great space for a family and equipment.

Fully agree with Thriller..
07 Sequoia SR5 4x4 - 110k miles.. Rear latch replaced, passenger side door lock replaced, rest is pure maintenance. I'm still on original brake pads !!!

IMG_0108.JPG

I've had an 05 Limited for almost a year now and we (Wife+4 kids) love it. One of these days I'll take a picture of it.

I have a 2002 Sequoia with 247k miles on it. We bought it with 75k on it and have changed the timing belt twice and radiator once. Last time I changed the front brakes I got a pair of new drilled rotors from Rock Auto.
We drove it to Cabo last year for a desert race that I was filming and 30 minutes outside of cabo the serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing locked up. Luckily it started spinning again after spraying WD40 on it and we made it to our hotel. A friend that was flying in for the race brought a new pulley and we changed it in the parking lot. Other than that it's been a great vehicle.
For suspension I have Total Chaos Fabrication upper control arms with Fox coil-over shocks on the front. TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION - 2000-2006 Tundra 2WD & 4WD Upper Control Arm Suspension Kit
In the rear I have 2.0 x 10" Fox reservoir shocks and custom 2.5" lift coil springs made by Valley Spring Works in Dixon, CA. If anyone is looking to lift their Sequoia there are no rear spring coil options other than spacers. These springs work awesome and cost about $280 for the set (not sure what he charges now). If anyone wants a set give him a call and tell him that you want the same springs that Curtis Guise and Dan Brink had made a few years ago. My friend Dan was the first one that had him make them.
Hidden in the lower grill is a VisionX LED light bar.
curtis-guise-sequoia-off-road-action.JPG

Last edited:
Almost 240K on my 2005. No major issues. Just put the 2nd timing belt on her. I've pulled 30 foot trailers through the hills, multiple trips to Texas, some limited off-roading (no rock crawling). I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

I had a 2003 LTD and quite liked it. Rear hatch latch goes about every 2 years. I had re-occuring issues with the VCT Traction control module. It was replaced once under warranty (Toyota said faulty ECU) so entire computer was replaced. It would still activate the dummy light from time to time. Had the ENTIRE frame replaced by Toyota after rust holes were found in it. The garage that did the frame swap I wasnt too impressed with . After reading some other Toyota forums I should have DEMANDED all parts that were to be replaced be OEM toyota stuff. Wasn't stoked on the ride quality after the swap and got a real good offer froma Toyota dealer to trade it on a 2011 Sequoia Platinum. It is a dream to drive but warranty up in September and I'm REALLY worried about all the technical stuff breaking…

View attachment 1211199 Love my 07 Sequoia 4x4. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Outstanding off road/trail capabilities. It's like having a larger 4Runner.

Only thing I've ever had to do is standard maintanence upkeep...fluids, timing belt, and brakes. Had the rear hatch handle break on me...but that was an easy fix. Wouldn't give my 1st Gen Sequoia up for anything.

Thriller

What lift do you have on this?

And what size tires?

Looking at an 06 limited with 180k, clean carafe and records... Would you recommend it?

What lift do you have on this?

And what size tires?

Looking at an 06 limited with 180k, clean carafe and records... Would you recommend it?

I'd go for it if it has had the proper maintenance done and wasn't from the NE. 180k is nothing for the 2uz. 06 is a solid year as it has the 5 speed auto and the vvt-i. My 01 gets down the road like a scalded dog carrying 8 people and luggage--the extra 40 horses will be extra nice...

View attachment 1211199 Love my 07 Sequoia 4x4. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Outstanding off road/trail capabilities. It's like having a larger 4Runner.

Only thing I've ever had to do is standard maintanence upkeep...fluids, timing belt, and brakes. Had the rear hatch handle break on me...but that was an easy fix. Wouldn't give my 1st Gen Sequoia up for anything.

Thriller

What size tires are these and did you have to put a lift on it to make them fit?

I just happened to look at this thread again, lots of nice looking rigs in here folks!! I'm actually just selling our 03 Sequoia as the wife wanted to start RVing so I bought an 08 to get that 5.7 for the extra towing capacity.
Yes 05 i think these 1st gen Sequoia's got a 5 speed automatic and the VVT engine, I had bought an 05 dbl cab tundra new.
I don't recall that the 05 did a great job trailering our BJ60 LC, I almost wonder if our 03 Sequoia would have done better with the different gearing of the 4 speed auto, ??

I just happened to look at this thread again, lots of nice looking rigs in here folks!! I'm actually just selling our 03 Sequoia as the wife wanted to start RVing so I bought an 08 to get that 5.7 for the extra towing capacity.
Yes 05 i think these 1st gen Sequoia's got a 5 speed automatic and the VVT engine, I had bought an 05 dbl cab tundra new.
I don't recall that the 05 did a great job trailering our BJ60 LC, I almost wonder if our 03 Sequoia would have done better with the different gearing of the 4 speed auto, ??

I'd be interested in seeing your 'for sale' ad for the 03. We just decided to sell our 02 since it turned over 400,000km. I think you could still balance a nickel on the engine and have no good reason to sell it except that the kids have beat the hell out of the interior and it has a lot of stone chips that are starting to rust. I just thought I'd take it to the auction and find a newer one with less miles. It 's no LandCruiser but has been a helluva good schoolbus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom