Any trasmission guru's out there? issue with 1997 tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 80 series, all stock, 144k not abused and fairly well maintained. Tranny is shaking off the line (almost like torque converter shutter but more violent) and shuttering on downshifts before it finds its gear and goes. Does this about 50% of the time, 50% no symptoms. Hate to swap the tranny before I am sure its shot. Just did fluid and filter with no change. Any direction with this A343F would be appreciated. thanks!

As with all automatic trans issues check fluid level first.

Well, if you need one, pm me. I got one sitting from a 1997 as a spare. I want it out of my garage.

This isn't meant to be insulting so please don't take it as such, you checked the level with the trans hot and the engine running?

When you did the filter change did you use an oem filter?
Did it have a new o-ring on it?
Which fluid did you use and how much?

It sounds like a pressure loss internally.

Def not a mount, you can feel the interruption in power not just a vibe.

Then what do you mean by "shuttering"? Shuttering means closing a window cover to shut out light. That doesn't make sense, so I thought you maybe meant shuddering, which means to shake or vibrate.

Bad description = bad diagnosis
Garbage in, garbage out

What is going on?

Could this be explained by solenoids not working correctly due to a short in a a harness or poor/corroded connections?

Last edited:
Just going to throw this in.... Did you grease up the Driveshaft?

Pinhead, Yes I did mean shuddering. Thanks for going into that whole english lesson to prove you found a verbiage error.

Yes, I had thought about possible connection issues at harness points. I checked them all and they seem solid. I am going to pull the connecters apart next week and check the pins for corrosion.

I'm just trying to understand what is going on. Shuddering or vibration sounds more like a motor or tranny mount problem or a bad U joint and not something inside the transmission, if that is all that is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom