Another HJ61. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finnally arrived and picked it up yesterday. Drove it home about 450 miles. Things a solid ride at 75 mph and still has more to go.

No crazy build plans just the normal OME lift, 33s, 3" exhuast and new bumpers. That front bumper needs to go haha. No real time frame for getting any of it done.

I've been trying to figure out what BS to use when I order new wheels thinking 2.5 so I don't run spacers and it will fill those fender flares up as much as possible. Trying to get away from the safari look.

Really fun to drive and the AC works great.
First thing is to modify the glove box to lock somehow. And possibly a tuffy console. Need to get some real tires soon so I can go explore AZ...

20160712_125554.jpg

That is some bumper! You could put a bedroll on it and sleep there.

Great looking truck.

Where in AZ are you?

Jeff

Yea that bumper is an eye sore. But that's how they came with the pto winch. It does make climbing into the engine bay really simple.

I'm in tucson

If you dont mind me asking where did you pick it up from? One of the importers or did you import it yourself?

Great looking HJ! Looks like we might have the same rims haha. I honestly love my front porch bumper.. Having a PTO winch makes it pretty much impossible to find an after market bumper that will fit without some serious modification, There is one thread on here somewhere where I saw a guy cut up some aftermarket bumper and made it fit around his PTO winch. I know @mcguirejohnson did 3" turbo back on his 12ht and it sounds awesome. I just finished up my OME Heavy Plus kit install a few weeks ago and the ride quality is perfect. Buying and importing my HJ61 was one of the best decisions I have made vehicle wise. Enjoy the sweet purr of that 12ht!

IMG_8326.JPG

If you dont mind me asking where did you pick it up from? One of the importers or did you import it yourself?

I bought it while I was stationed in Japan. It was shipped by the government when I moved back to the states

Great looking HJ! Looks like we might have the same rims haha. I honestly love my front porch bumper.. Having a PTO winch makes it pretty much impossible to find an after market bumper that will fit without some serious modification, There is one thread on here somewhere where I saw a guy cut up some aftermarket bumper and made it fit around his PTO winch. I know @mcguirejohnson did 3" turbo back on his 12ht and it sounds awesome. I just finished up my OME Heavy Plus kit install a few weeks ago and the ride quality is perfect. Buying and importing my HJ61 was one of the best decisions I have made vehicle wise. Enjoy the sweet purr of that 12ht!

View attachment 1289905

There's a few fab shops out here I need to ask about doing a bumper for me. You have the whole set up with the bull bars and everything haha. There was one just like yours I was looking at but it was perfect condition and way too much for me.

Yea I want to lift it first then do the exhuast. Can't wait to open the power up on the 12ht.

What size tires you running? And how much lift?

There's a few fab shops out here I need to ask about doing a bumper for me. You have the whole set up with the bull bars and everything haha. There was one just like yours I was looking at but it was perfect condition and way too much for me.

Yea I want to lift it first then do the exhuast. Can't wait to open the power up on the 12ht.

What size tires you running? And how much lift?

Yea I lucked out and found mine in Canada and did the whole import process my self which pretty much cut the price in half of what I would have paid had I purchased the rig through an importer.

If you're wanting to go all out, look into a bigger turbo and intercooler.

Right now I'm running 265/75/r16 Cooper Discovery A/T3s with 3" OME lift.

For the lift, call Cruiser Outfitters! Kurt and Bryce will take care of you! I went with the OME Heavy Plus kit as recommended to me by Kurt since he has the same set up on his HJ61. So far I love the OME set up.

Thanks I'll get some more pictures later today.
Nice lookin' HJ, got any more pics?

3" straight exhaust all the way from DP and side exit is what you want, and need.
Better throttle/turbo response and the sound.. can't beat it. :steer:

:cheers:

Nice rig mate, did you get the cable lockers too?

Unfortunately I did not get the lockers.. the 12ht and 5 spd was what I was looking for. Most of the rigs for sale were either hj60 with cable lockers or hj61 with lockers but an automatic.

Cable lockers would have been sweet but I can always add somthing down the road. This has an lsd but not sure how good it works.

Got my windows tinted.. so much better now since there was zero tint before.

I also was replacing my old oem mirrors but one of the mirrors that was sent was grey and not black. Still waiting on the other black mirror then I'll be able to swap out the driver side mirror. That's why one is chrome and the other is black.

I had to swap the internals and the actual mirror from the OEM to the new mirror housing so I can have the correct viewing angles. Everything lined up and screwed in just fine. I don't have electric mirrors right now on the mirror i changed but I will wire it all up when I do the other one.

20160812_150507.jpg

20160812_150518.jpg

Last edited:
G'day

Nice looking 61. They're the best mix of luxury, reliability and ruggedness from my point of view.

Seeing this makes me want to go and buy another for a spare!

Ironbark

That's how I feel too, I was planing on getting a 80 series because they are pretty much better in every way, but I could not pass on the 12ht.. and I think the 60 series just looks bad ass.

I want a spare also haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom