Advantage of "safety" thimble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
So what is the advantage/benefit of an add-on safety thimble?

I see it offers a little bit of protection to the rope but it seems like it might attract impacts the way it sticks out in front of the fairlead more than the smaller standard end.

Such as:

viking_safety.jpg

as opposed to the standard:

images

Thanks,
mark

By the way I only have the standard loop at the end of my winch line, I don't have a metal hook attached to the loop. When needed I attach a D shackle to the loop to hook the winch rope to a strap, tree saver or another truck's tow point etc.

image.jpeg
My syn winch line came with a hook. Last week my wife's car got stuck in our driveway, so I decided to winch her car up. Went underneath to attach a shackle and a recovery strap, but the opening in the tow hook underneath was too small for the 3/4" shackle pin to fit through, so I ended up using the syn line with the hook. Same for my Subaru. Something to think about. I like the fact that I can attach the hook to the shackle that I mounted to the recovery points I welded on my ARB.

So what is the advantage/benefit of an add-on safety thimble?

It's more safer, duh! :hillbilly:

Seriously, I don't know about more safe, but it's big enough that it's easy to manipulate and pin shackles through with leather gloves on your hands (which the safety pros say you should always wear when rigging and winching). I guess there's no chance that a stray stick or something could push open the little gate like on a spring hook.

It's more safer, duh! :hillbilly:

Seriously, I don't know about more safe, but it's big enough that it's easy to manipulate and pin shackles through with leather gloves on your hands (which the safety pros say you should always wear when rigging and winching). I guess there's no chance that a stray stick or something could push open the little gate like on a spring hook.

Exactly, if you lose line tension the thing cannot fall off. If you have to hook to a tree saver you use a screw pin shackle that is a completely closed system. It also protects the rope thimble from getting pinched/deformed in the fairlead if powered in too far.

I want a Factor55 Flatlink for my rear winch but am using a Warn Epic hook on the front. It's so heavy-duty that I am not worried about the hook failing or the snap opening. And it has a bonus bottle opener!!!

196314-md.jpg

So when you winch in, what do you do to keep the thimble from going in between the fairlead? Safety thimble is to provide a stop for winch line, and look cool.

I can use the D shackle to attach the end of the rope to some place/tow point, I can leave the shackle on and just suck it up to the fairlead and then flop it over to be flat against the fairlead (This is my usual), I can take the shackle off and let the simple thimble rest against the fairlead...

All of these leave less of a target than the safety shackle sticking straight out in front of the fairlead.

And if you are buying something just 'cause it looks cool...:crybaby: :bang: :meh:

It provides a way of slightly tensioning the end of the line when fully reeled in without having the line make a sharp 90° bend to reach over to a hook or something. Slightly tensioning the winch helps prevent the winch from rattling on washboard roads.

It also keeps all of the line out of the sun when fully reeled in.

It keeps the front of the winch looking ship shape.

But seeing that synthetic winch line is so easy to steal off the winch (and it does happen)... It seems that the best way to store it is inside the car.

I'm asking because I BOUGHT a Viking safety thimble and now I'm wondering why I should use it...

The only reason I bought/am using mine is, it came with the line when I bought it.

I will say, the sticking-out-the-front thing has not been an issue for me. Even on steep/tall rock ledges, my truck will catch on the front spring shackles before the safety thimble has ever touched anything.

Always seemed like a solution to a non problem to me but I believe theyre to kind of keep you from sucking your hands into the winch like if you were holding onto the hook, which is a pretty rare and hard to do thing in the first place.

Although I usually grab my winch hook from whatever random helper that might be helping me suck the line back in. That way I know they won't do exactly that, get their hands in the wrong place. I think the safety thimble could help prevent that but definitely can't stop it if someones not paying attention and puts their hands in a bad place...

I prefer the thimble from a running the line up a hill perspective. It's much easier to hold onto a thimble than the hook.

Also, the argument that @Output Shaft brought up about not having a kink in the rope is also a great advantage.

@woytovich if you don't use your thimble, sell it to me!

I could use one of them fancy thimble....then I'll get a winch for the 4Runner!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom