A442F Transmission Throttle cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have owned my HDJ81 Land cruiser for a few years, always shifted hard. Lately my transfer case started to leak at the rear drive shaft. Well over the last week the truck has been shifting really hard and on down shifts (with loud clunks and metal tings).
Yesterday noticed it was coasting instead of down shifting then once almost stopped, loud clunk. Today would not shift out of 1st or 2nd till over 3000RPMs then very hard shift. So got home and checked FSM and truck out. Looks like my Throttle cable is disconnected inside valve body??
The cable is very loose and seems to have no resistance when I pull on it in engine compartment, and does not pull back inside the cable housing. After reading the FSM it seems to me that the throttle cable may be broken or disconnected at the cam inside the valve body?
Is replacing this cable difficult to replace? can the cable be found easily? and after reading then FSM dropping the transmission oil pan seems pretty hard.
The truck is not my daily driver and was going to be parked for the winter soon, but was hoping to have it out on the trails a few more times this season.
See pics below.
9nVcC

[URL="http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/meafordmike/IMG_2891.jpg"][URL="http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/meafordmike/IMG_2891.jpg"] [/URL][/URL]
[URL="http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/meafordmike/IMG_2887.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/meafordmike/IMG_2886.jpg"] [/URL]
[URL="http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac346/meafordmike/IMG_2889.jpg"] [/URL]

Last edited:
I am in the same boat except different side. My cable broke at the throttle plate. Either way, the pan has to be dropped as the whole cable needs to be replaced. I bought a OEM replacement from Lowes Toyota (a Mud vendor) that cost me around $60. I haven't tackled the job as I have been acquiring parts and trying to find the time to do it.
This is what I believe will need to be done:
Drain trans
Remove cross member
Drop pan and scrape all old gasket material off
Remove filter (clean or replace)
Remove valve body
Remove throttle cable and replace with new
(routing the new cable might be a pain, not sure)
Reassemble with new gasket and refill
Adjust cable as neccesary
(the new cable does not have a stopper, but the FSM shows how to mark the adjustment reference point)

Yes I see you read the same page in the FSM that I did. I wonder if the cable is the same between 80series and the HDJ81 with the 1HDT's, or does the A442 have the same cable on all. Mine is probably on a different side because its RHD?
I am in the same boat except different side. My cable broke at the throttle plate. Either way, the pan has to be dropped as the whole cable needs to be replaced. I bought a OEM replacement from Lowes Toyota (a Mud vendor) that cost me around $60. I haven't tackled the job as I have been acquiring parts and trying to find the time to do it.
Drain trans
Remove cross member
Remove valve body
(the new cable does not have a stopper, but the FSM shows how to mark the adjustment reference point)

Trans cable?

Yes I see you read the same page in the FSM that I did. I wonder if the cable is the same between 80series and the HDJ81 with the 1HDT's, or does the A442 have the same cable on all. Mine is probably on a different side because its RHD?

Hey guys I have a 1HD-T with a A442F as well but mine is in a FZJ i converted. the cable is on the same side and I had to drop my pan for another reason but did it without removing the cross member. Might need to for the valve body but i did it to change the filter without.

Hope that helps

Terry

Can you tell me the part# for the throttle cable. I can't seem to find it on ToyoDIY.
Drain trans
Remove cross member
Remove valve body

Part# 35520-60111 CABLE ASSY, TH

I couldn't find any write-ups but from what I understand it's pretty straight forward. I recall someone mentioned to remove the tranny dipstick before dropping the pan because theirs got messed up.

Thanks for the info again.
After re-searching Toyodiy, I think I found the Throttle cable part number. 35520-60060 for the HDJ81 1HDT, not much info on this number on the web. so am unsure if it differs from 35520-60111. I will have to confirm before shipping. Because shipping to Canada gererally cost me as much as the part itself, and i will need some gaskets and such before I open this up
Thanks for the info again.
Mike

Just ordered a new Transmission throttle cable (kick down) from Raddcruisers, and am looking for anyone who has replaced this in a HDJ81 with an A442F. The FSM says I have to drop the valve body to replace cable, but John from Raddcruisers (highly respected) said that you can replace cable with just the drop of oil pan. I am looking for someone with 1st hand knowledge of what needs to be done to replace cable. Also while I am in there are there other things I should do: ie replace filter in sump pickup (if there is one) looking for any filters/ gaskets that I should have on hand/ replace while working in there.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.
Mike

Well, I just did mine over the weekend. Not too fun. I pretty much took an ATF bath. You don't have to take the valve body all the way out. I just lowered it enough on the one side where the cable attaches just above it keeping a couple loose bolts holding it up on the other side. Be careful of the gasket on top of the valve body, it's very brittle. The cable comes with a grommet and o-ring on it. I popped the old one out with a screwdriver from underneath. The new one just pops right in from the top.
There is a bolt holding the cable on top of the trans...a real biatch to get to.

Well, I just did mine over the weekend. Not too fun. I pretty much took an ATF bath. You don't have to take the valve body all the way out. I just lowered it enough on the one side where the cable attaches just above it keeping a couple loose bolts holding it up on the other side. Be careful of the gasket on top of the valve body, it's very brittle. The cable comes with a grommet and o-ring on it. I popped the old one out with a screwdriver from underneath. The new one just pops right in from the top.
There is a bolt holding the cable on top of the trans...a real biatch to get to.
Thanks for the info, any photos.

sorry no photos. would of took me even longer and I'd probably have a very dirty camera after.
I did end up having to put like 9 qts back in just so you know.

Hey guys,

do you think im safe disconnecting the kick down cable on my 440F transmission for a couple of months while i get parts and find time to replace? my cable appears stuck.
There's not a hill for 200 miles, I wont tow and ill nurse the box.
What do you reckon?

Gav

FWIW, I drove around for months with mine broken at the throttle plate. Just be easy on the throttle and you should be good until you get it fixed.

Just started this last night! got the pan off, filter/pickup off and then tonight I removed the old cable out of the pan without removing valve body. Now Iam stuck with the bolt that attaches the cable to the transmission housing:mad: and I am stuck. How did you ever get this bolt off:censor:. I have been trying for over 2 hours with no luck, not fun at 0c (32F) outside. Any tips???

... not fun at 0c (32F) outside. Any tips???

Easy, move somewhere warmer!:hillbilly:

Try looking at it from another angle, use a different tool, if you got it out should go back,,, maybe?

Easy, move somewhere warmer!:hillbilly:

Try looking at it from another angle, use a different tool, if you got it out should go back,,, maybe?
I haven't been able to remove this cable yet.
I am taking a time out from it now, as parts/tools were going to start flying. I will get back at it tomorrow with a fresh start.
Thanks

update us how u tackled the bolt on the tranny when u get to it
and thanks for sharing:cheers:

I think what I did was use a 1/4 ratchet and reached around by the exhaust down pipe with my right arm.
I never put that bolt back with the new cable. Kinda forgot to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom