A/C on 3FE FJ80 vs 1ZFE FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are the ac systems the same between the two different FJ80s? Should there be a condenser in front of the radiator and oil cooler for the 1991 FJ80?

The AC systems are similar, but certain things are in different places. I forget what year switched from R12 to R134. In any case, they all have AC condenser coils in front of the engine coolant radiator. That shouldn't be confused with the transmission cooler on the left side in front of the AC condenser.

The AC systems are similar, but certain things are in different places. I forget what year switched from R12 to R134. In any case, they all have AC condenser coils in front of the engine coolant radiator. That shouldn't be confused with the transmission cooler on the left side in front of the AC condenser.
On both of my 80s (1992) were converted to R134...

In mid-'93, Toyota went to R134a. They changed pretty much all the fittings, requiring different condenser, evaporator, hoses, liquid line, drier, expansion block and trinary switch. The compressors are the same with one important difference: the early ones come with ND6 (mineral oil) for R12 and the later come with ND8 (PAG 46) oil for R134a. All the aftermarket Denso compressors (471-1166) come with ND8 oil, but can be used on an early R12 system by replacing the oil with ND6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom