Events/Trails 9th Annual 100s in the Hills *SILVERTON COLORADO* July 24-29 2019 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm at FJ Summit this week. Excited for HIH9 next week!

I went to the HIH9 campsite and there were signs everywhere saying "permits required for camping". I looked on line and for the life of me could not figure out where to get a camping permit.

@organizers

Do we need to get camping permits to camp at HIH9 by HQ? If so, where do we get them?
Your camping is covered by the event permit. You can't camp there until Wednesday I believe.

Now I need a place to stay near Durango for monday night! Can you disperse camp at Mesa Verde NP?

No dispersed camping but they do have a large campground, like 270 sites - though a little pricey and then there's the park entrance fee. On the bright side they do have free showers and a laundromat. There's the Cortez Walmart. Haviland Lake campground north of Durango is nice but surely tight this time of year. There's also the Target Tree Campground between Mancos and Hesperus.

Last edited:

I went to the HIH9 campsite and there were signs everywhere saying "permits required for camping". I looked on line and for the life of me could not figure out where to get a camping permit.

@organizers

Do we need to get camping permits to camp at HIH9 by HQ? If so, where do we get them?

No permit needed. We rent the entire area. We then subdivide into camp spots, more or less. Please do not get onto property prior to Wednesday. That’s the first night we can camp at Kendall Mountain as part of the HIH event. Thanks!!

No dispersed camping but they do have a large campground, like 270 sites - though a little pricey and then there's the park entrance fee. On the bright side they do have free showers and a laundromat. There's the Cortez Walmart. Haviland Lake campground north of Durango is nice but surely tight this time of year. There's also the Target Tree Campground between Mancos and Hesperus.
I second Haviland, the cleanest campground I have ever stayed in (atleast when we were there, the hosts, Dave and Liz, were awesome people and they took so much pride in keeping that place nice). The fact that it is on that lake with that amazing backdrop will be the reason that will be our place to camp every time we are in Durango.

@organizers

South Mineral Creek is right up the road from Silverton and you can camp back there prior to the event. There are always a lot of folks camping back there. You'll see camping areas all along the creek. Google Maps

South Mineral Creek is right up the road from Silverton and you can camp back there prior to the event. There are always a lot of folks camping back there. You'll see camping areas all along the creek. Google Maps

And you will probably see a few moose (meeses?) as well :) That's probably where I'll boondock on Tuesday night.

Does anyone have any good dispersed site recommendations for somewhere south of 70 either near Idaho Springs or Georgetown?

My wife and two young boys are flying out Monday afternoon, I'm picking them up at the airport at 3pm and I'd like to have a firm camp spot nailed down that isn't too far away. Our usual plan of driving around aimlessly looking for a site, then finding one just before dark, and then setting up in the dark probably isn't a good idea :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Does anyone have any good dispersed site recommendations for somewhere south of 70 either near Idaho Springs or Georgetown?

My wife and two young boys are flying out Monday afternoon, I'm picking them up at the airport at 3pm and I'd like to have a firm camp spot nailed down that isn't too far away. Our usual plan of driving around aimlessly looking for a site, then finding one just before dark, and then setting up in the dark probably isn't a good idea :)

devils canyon along I70. Why are you going 70 though? 285 is fast and nicer IMHO. Down 285 Lost Park road is nice.

Guenella pass has some great campsites. Plus, if you enter from the Georgetown side it will end at 285 which is a faster/more beautiful drive.

*HIH9 WAITLIST UPDATE*

So we did have a few cancellations. Most of the folks that cancelled were not really even registered for the trails that are closed, but our offer gave them the opportunity to back out and still get a partial refund. It happens. Nothing we can do about it. This is the downside of HIH becoming so popular and something that just comes with the event's growth. Registration is tough and stressful, we get it. We'll do our best to come up with a better way to handle cancellations in the future. As of now, someone can essentially hold their HIH registration for five months for a fee and if they decide not to come, they'll get half of their money back. Of course there are times when unforeseen things pop up and folks can't make it. We get that as well and want to be accommodating to everyone. Unfortunately, people who really wanted to attend are left behind while someone else holds that spot. Stick with us, we're getting better every year and have plans to make HIHX a complete blowout.

If you are on the HIH9 waitlist and are able to quickly pack your gear for a great week in Silverton, check your email. We are opening 10 spots and are going down the list from top to bottom. @bluecruiser @Berney2000 and I are all super busy trying to wrap everything up ourselves and finalize everything for the week. Please trust us that we are starting at waitlist number 1 and working our way down. If we get 20 emails asking about waitlist numbers, and how it looks for a spot to open, it becomes a nightmare. If your waitlist number came up, you'll receive an email with information and a code to register. That code will only be active for around 48 hours. We know that isn't a ton of time, but we're trying to allow folks who can join us last minute to have that option. We're not perfect, but we're trying our best. This was a crazy year. Adding folks this late is a logistical hurdle in itself.

The swag store is closed, but we have extra shirts, hats and hoodies at the event. (please buy a shirt or hat or hoodie) We overspent on shirts and designs (like always) because we try and get the best materials and soft shirts so they're something you'll wear and not something that feels like a burlap sack and just gets tossed in the Goodwill bin.

Trail selections will also be made during Wednesday's check-in at Kendall. Trails are opening and snow is melting. Our optimism seems to be creating a melting impact! Still...... bring a shovel.

Last edited:
That was the plan, stop in Idaho Springs or Georgetown, then haed up and over Guanella and pick up 285.

Whereabouts on Guenalla are the campspots? The closer to 70 the better for night one! Thank you!

That was the plan, stop in Idaho Springs or Georgetown, then haed up and over Guanella and pick up 285.

Whereabouts on Guenalla are the campspots? The closer to 70 the better for night one! Thank you!
Look on trails offroad. There are also a few spots just outside Georgetown at the beginning of the Argentine pass trail head.

Thanks again guys! I got a spot in Mesa Verde for Monday. Like the Haviland option but don't want to pass Durango Monday night then head back into town Tuesday!
Plus I haven't been to Mesa V. NP before so that'll be cool!

I second Haviland, the cleanest campground I have ever stayed in (atleast when we were there, the hosts, Dave and Liz, were awesome people and they took so much pride in keeping that place nice). The fact that it is on that lake with that amazing backdrop will be the reason that will be our place to camp every time we are in Durango.

Thanks again guys! I got a spot in Mesa Verde for Monday. Like the Haviland option but don't want to pass Durango Monday night then head back into town Tuesday!
Plus I haven't been to Mesa V. NP before so that'll be cool!
Just FYI, Haviland is literally only about 10-15 min from town. Just a thought

There is also Junction Creek campground west of town. Pretty drive off of 25th ave, then stay left at the "y" which is a gravel road. Plenty of camp sites and hiking trails. And if you drive up past the campground entrance is Animas overlook, with bathrooms and picnice tables with amazing views of some of the 14ers in the distance. If I remember right, you can see Mt Sneffles from there.

Stan, Chris,

Super nice of you guys to open up spots last minute. This is a lot of extra effort on your part and more last minute logistics you guys need to deal with. Just another reason HiH is such an awesome event.

I'd be glad to buy you guys both a beer at the event, but I'll just hand you one of the free ones from @smakee instead :)

*HIH9 WAITLIST UPDATE*

So we did have a few cancellations. Most of the folks that cancelled were not really even registered for the trails that are closed, but our offer gave them the opportunity to back out and still get a partial refund. It happens. Nothing we can do about it. This is the downside of HIH becoming so popular and something that just comes with the event's growth. Registration is tough and stressful, we get it. We'll do our best to come up with a better way to handle cancellations in the future. As of now, someone can essentially hold their HIH registration for five months for a fee and if they decide not to come, they'll get half of their money back. Of course there are times when unforeseen things pop up and folks can't make it. We get that as well and want to be accommodating to everyone. Unfortunately, people who really wanted to attend are left behind while someone else holds that spot. Stick with us, we're getting better every year and have plans to make HIHX a complete blowout.

If you are on the HIH9 waitlist and are able to quickly pack your gear for a great week in Silverton, check your email. We are opening 10 spots and are going down the list from top to bottom. @bluecruiser @Berney2000 and I are all super busy trying to wrap everything up ourselves and finalize everything for the week. Please trust us that we are starting at waitlist number 1 and working our way down. If we get 20 emails asking about waitlist numbers, and how it looks for a spot to open, it becomes a nightmare. If your waitlist number came up, you'll receive an email with information and a code to register. That code will only be active for around 48 hours. We know that isn't a ton of time, but we're trying to allow folks who can join us last minute to have that option. We're not perfect, but we're trying our best. This was a crazy year. Adding folks this late is a logistical hurdle in itself.

The swag store is closed, but we have extra shirts, hats and hoodies at the event. (please buy a shirt or hat or hoodie) We overspent on shirts and designs (like always) because we try and get the best materials and soft shirts so they're something you'll wear and not something that feels like a burlap sack and just gets tossed in the Goodwill bin.

Trail selections will also be made during Wednesday's check-in at Kendall. Trails are opening and snow is melting. Our optimism seems to be creating a melting impact! Still...... bring a shovel.

I am one of the lucky individuals to receive the last minute invite. Unfortunately I am not able to attend with this being so last minute. Bad timing on my part but I booked my time off on other trips for the year. It would have been perfect with how relativity close I am but it's just not in the cards. I am super bummed about it because it sounds like an amazing time. You both have done so much to have this thing going and I will for sure try for next year. I appreciate all your hard work and effort. Hope everyone has an epic time. Hope to meet and see you all next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom