80 psi BFG Km2s?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am getting my new to me fj62 on the road today. It has BFG Km2s 255/85-16s. I want to make sure air pressure is correct in them, but according to Tire Rack and the specs on the side of the tires the psi is supposed to be 80. That seems really high for a 3 ply tire...but then I again, I don't much. What do other people run in these tires? Thanks much.

Thats the pressure used on a E load tire and usually on a 3/4 ton and bigger truck. You can run them with alot let pressure than that.

Thanks! I am going to go with 50psi and see how that works. Thanks again for the fast response.

I run my 35" KM2s at 28 PSI for proper tread contact across the tread. At the pressures you're talking about, you will wear out the center of the tread and not the edges, and the ride will suck.

Lehiguy, your tires are only rated for 35 PSI so I would assume your load range is much lower. His tires are load range E and have a max PSI of 80.
I would suggest running them in the 45-50 range as advised and test them out first. If the ride is still harsh, then maybe consider lowering the pressure further.

Lehiguy, your tires are only rated for 35 PSI so I would assume your load range is much lower. His tires are load range E and have a max PSI of 80.
I would suggest running them in the 45-50 range as advised and test them out first. If the ride is still harsh, then maybe consider lowering the pressure further.

Exactly. I couldn't believe it when I saw 80psi on the side of the tires. Crazy! I am going to shoot for 45 psi and see how it feels and then adjust from there.

The stiffer carcas would warrant even lower pressure to obtain an acceptable contact pattern. If they were on a Cummins powered Dodge with a curb weight of 7,000 pounds, that's one thing. A 4500 pound Land Cruiser is another.

Look on the drivers door jam. The plate wil have Toyotas recomended tire pressure for the origonal tires. I run my MTRs at 40 psi on the highway, much lower on the trail. Big O once told me they inflate tires to their max psi because most people dont have the means to increase pressure, but can let it out easily. Seems silly to me.

Or....the OP could stop guessing and do the 'chalk test'. That'll get proper psi darn close to perfect.

I wouldn't just guess at tire pressure. Do the chalk test like Wile E Coyote suggests.

I haven't performed one before, but I am getting good wear at 38psi on my 33" BFG A/T's

These are such good tires it's not even funny.

The number on the side of the tire is MAX pressure for that tire. The number on the door jamb is basically for the tires that originally came on the rig. I chalk my tires when I first get them to determine the correct pressure.

Chalking a tire is as old as dirt. I have spoken to a few tire company engineers and all agreed that this is a good method to determine proper pressure.

You will need some chalk, kid’s sidewalk chalk works great, standard school size chalk works too. You will also need a source of compressed air. Find a nice flat paved area like a parking lot. Pick a pressure to start from and make sure all 4 tires are at that same pressure.

Chalk each tire across the tread from one side to the other, about 4 inches wide. Drive in a straight line on a level paved surface for about 50-100 feet. Get out and take a look at the chalk on the tires. If worn in the center leaving chalk on the edges, too much pressure. If worn on the sides and not as much in the center, not enough pressure.

Add or remove pressure until you can do it and the wear on the chalk is even across the tire. Now you know the correct pressure to run for those specific tires on that specific rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom