78 40 refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished a 300 mile round trip fishing for small mouth in the ozarks on on of the hottest weeks on record. I just got to say the old girl didnt hiccup once. Highway speeds of 65 for an hour or two and lots of steep county road hills. She is a beast. Caught a bunch of smallies too.
For the back story, I almost sold her a few months ago but the family put a stop to that. I bought the 40 from the original owner in 1995 and drove it with a few fixes until 2002 when I put a alum body on it and did a fairly good refresh of the mechanics, mild lift and new paint. Over the next few years I had fj40 jim redo the carb, added a paki top and put on power steering. Well after the family said no to to selling I decided to go at it again and freshin her up. Everyone here knows how it is when you start something like this with a cruiser and one thing leads to another. Too many details to cover as this could get longer so a short list is complete fluid change, tune up, belts,hoses, bilsteins, set of roundeyes, a couple of spring brackets replaced, painted the wheels, cleaned up and painted the old hub caps and bought a couple, new interior stuff, visor,seatbelt and such. I am sure I missed something but you get the idea. She tracks straight and keeps her speed on the highway and it was good to get her out for a trip, everywhere I stopped people ask about the truck and someone always tried to buy her. I Hope I can post a pic or two. I only have recent shots. It use to be blue, I sometimes miss the original color. I dont post here much but have been around for awhile, thanks to all who contribute so much knowledge to keeping the cruisers going. Bill
IMAG0580.jpg
IMAG0573.jpg
IMAG0568.jpg

Looks like fun. Good decision to keep her. She looks great. Can't wait until I can get out in the back country and use mine the way it was meant to be used

Thanks

Yes I am so glad I didnt sell her. After 17 years of ownership you sometimes think someone else should have it to enjoy. This trip brought back the reason I got the rig in the first place. Simple, rugged and just plain old cool. Bill

oirginal pic

This was taken in 97, we had the rig a couple years by then. We are on the upper black river in missouri on a camping trip. At that point I had put 31/10:50s on and ext shackles. Lots of rust but still started and would get you there.
IMAG0591.jpg

Looks great, good job!

Man those photos look good, wish you wouldn't of changed your mind about selling that 40 to me. What was the lift on that again? Also you have more info on that rear bumper?

nice color choice, my favorite.

Thanks

SSCR, Im sure it would have found a good home with you but I am so glad I didnt sell her. To put it up for sale was like my oldest child leaving home for college. Sounds hooky but its true. My wife and sons had a cow when I told them. I hope you find a good one to build up and keep.
Griffin the color was a ford blue/green, I have since been able to use a dark hunter green to fix scratches. I started to build the truck with the idea to bring it up to date in some areas but to keep its original roots. It still in most ways is a stock cruiser, simple, easy to work on and rugged but is a little more comfortable. Thanks, Bill

SSCR The lift is a pinnicle 2.5 from JTO. At first it was very stiff without the hard top so I took out the short leaf and the next. As the years have passed I have put it all back except the overload/short leaf in the rear. Flexes nice and with the bilsteins it rides very good for a leaf spring short wheel base rig. As for the bumper I think it came from manafree. Bill

couple classic winshield down pics

poser pics behind my house.
IMAG0450.jpg
IMAG0455.jpg

SSCR, Im sure it would have found a good home with you but I am so glad I didnt sell her. To put it up for sale was like my oldest child leaving home for college. Sounds hooky but its true. My wife and sons had a cow when I told them. I hope you find a good one to build up and keep.
Griffin the color was a ford blue/green, I have since been able to use a dark hunter green to fix scratches. I started to build the truck with the idea to bring it up to date in some areas but to keep its original roots. It still in most ways is a stock cruiser, simple, easy to work on and rugged but is a little more comfortable. Thanks, Bill

No promblem, I understand.:) I found a 77 I'm doing right now, although I would take that extra paki top if you ever decide to sell it;)

:cheers:I really favor the look you have on your 40 over the mint condition ones you see for $30-$40k. Though they look amazing using them to even a 1/3 of their potential would give most people a heart attack. Your rig is what I envision when I think of taking on a resto. I just bought a 72 off of a member here and am waiting to have it shipped from NC to me in PA. It's a true "project" cruiser, but I'll be keeping your truck in mind as I tear into this one.

Thanks for the pics!! :steer:

Thanks, toomanytoyzz.

When I got the cruiser many years ago I had in my mind what I wanted. There were only a few vendors and I stared at the catalogs a lot. My goal was to keep it simple as I made upgrades and if possible to return it to the stock part in the field if my upgrades failed. I have made upgrades that would send a purist into a seizure but it needed to be done for my vision. Now it seems that there are so many places to go and so much knowledge I find my self shooting from one vendor to another. Which is kind of a cool problem. I hope yours turns out like you want. There are a ton of cool 40s out there. Bill

man what'd I give for a paki top...

very handsome ride you got there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom