Builds 76 Fj40 Face Lift (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn I wish you weren't across the state, I would love to take a look at your build. I started the same way, let's tear it down and rebuild it as nice as possible! Looks great so far.

Thanks, I really appreciate your comments. BUT, I have seen a few of the build threads in the forum and some of these guys have "mad skills"...I don't really know what I am doing..I'm just doing it;) I think by the time I am finished it will be time to start over.....

It will all work out fine, in the end you will know your 40 inside and out, every rattle and knock.

Rear sill tear down. Looks a little rough. No major rust issue to contend with. Good shot of the rear cargo area mat. Notice a slight tweak in the center of the rear sill. I have some wire brush work to do!!!
IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

My rear frame channel/sill needs some attention.
If you look directly at the rear frame channel where hitch mounts, there is a slight tweak dead center. It is a semi shallow concave dent. It came free of charge with the "truck" (see previous post). I considered the dent to be a silent reminder that this rig had a previous life out west before signing on with me. Well, as you know, once you start chasing the rebuild obsession "down the rabbit hole" some of those previously acceptable nuances (the ones you didn't create) are no longer worthy of your rig. I am by no means a Smitty or otherwise skilled in the metallurgical arts, but I do recall from my "jeep days" that heat plus BFH = success with various forms of dents, bends and tweaks. But I also understand that that rear sill will never be close to perfect. Acceptable yes! Perfect no! So, my 1st inclination is to beat this one into submission, wire wheel prime and paint. I could then claim victory for this season, and move on to some of the other more pressing issue in accordance with the Land Cruiser Coefficient (LC=T+$). Remember, this is my hunting rig. :hmm: I am afraid if I "pretty it up" to much, it's going to run off and find a new owner and I'll have to buy another mule. Thoughts from the gallery? :cheers:
IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

I dunno, Chunga - before you start slinging' that BFH, get under that rear sill and check it out from the backside. I looked at one last fall with an untouched sill I could've poked my finger through. PO could've bondoed, painted and left a time bomb surprise. Maybe wire wheel and see what's underneath first?

Rgr - Good copy...Looks like trouble doesn't it??!! :worms:

I wonder if Awl_TEQ is still up and running? Really did not want to get into the heavy metal phase just yet. LC=T+$ strikes again....:( I'll look through some threads and see who is making a reasonable product. I can feel that 2" OME slipping through my fingers (bank account)...

Mi Amigo, I had me a gander at old "Zeke". Well done...That olive is a nice color..On any other vehicle I'd be scratchin' the ole noggin'...But, on a 40 it is the Piece de resistance!!:smokin:

DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions presented in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the forum. Forum members are expressly required not to make defamatory statements pertaining to the various and sundry colors found on any and all Toyota Fj40 Land Cruisers herein, whether owned, borrowed or stolen by forum members. The author will not accept any responsibly for the spontaneous threads that may or may not develop as a result of these comments and will not be held be personally liable for any damaged egos or other liability arising.

Love the disclaimer.

Have you accessed that rear sill yet? I have a ton of rust on my sill, totally shot. PO tried to hide it bit I already knew to pay special attention to that area. I'm also interested in how much luck you have had removing the bed liner on the interior?

Have not touched it since last week. I am however, down to two COA's

1. Take on the Channel/sill this year...Put off suspension till next.:(
2. Band aide channel/sill till winter 15/spring 16. Slap the money on the barrel head for the OME. :)

I have been scrounging around the net looking for a channel/sill cover in the event I can't band aide IAW with COA 1. I am leaning toward COA 2. That would allow me to do all the body work at time of repaint..... On to the bed liner. Again, in my little "infantry head", removing bed liner lines up better with COA 2. All body work at the same time. This may be a hyper rationalization, BUT, it makes more sense to me than bifurcating my effort. I have a pesky leak, 3-4 drops per day in the T-case, brake lines, hubs and I want to have a "look see" at the transmission. But ole "Tenzing" really needs new legs. The OE springs have seen better days. The shackle lift is out of kilter and needs brought back to a better geometry. I also think I am going to spring a few "sheckles" loose and try one of the RTC Tough Dog steering stabilizers. I'll have hands on next weekend and try and shoot a few pics of the problem area for the thread.

Howz things in your neck of the woods?

Last edited:
SSCR - Thanks. The bumper/stinger/winch plate was a low buck solution (Read poor semi/retired old guy). My OE bumper had seen it's better days. The bumper is a short channel bumper from JT Outfitters ( I guess I can name drop without incurring the wrath of the thread police), the stinger is a warrior product, winch plate is from CCOT. Less than 175 sheckles for everything as I recall. All prefab holes for the winch plate and bumper. Stinger was just 4 holes to drill and mount.

Much obliged for the link...I have been pouring over the forum looking for a good post. Some of these guys have absolute mad skills when it comes to their innovation and modification skills. I would trade my dashing good looks for a solid hand at welding:rolleyes:. Ever see a gorilla weld? It can be done, but "it ain't pretty". Now what I do have is a stable of shiftless, directionless, ner-do-well buddies that have an uncanny sixth sense (they seem to know when I stock the garage fridge with beer) :beer:when it comes to all things metal. I think one of them could weld two toothpicks together. I'll end up doing the grunt work, cutting, grinding, sanding running for beer etc etc, while they will hog the high point on the podium when the accolades are handed out. I knew the day I swapped out the carb that I would be chasing Alice down the rabbit hole. I just thank the good Lord I found a whole community of similarly deranged individuals willing to drag me feet first a little deeper!!!;) I did have a few trinkets arrive that are designated for the aft section of ole "Tenzing".
343.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

345.JPG

Last edited:
One step at a time over here, waiting for a tap to arrive in the mail. Taking the head to the shop tomorrow to have it checked, today I might start a rebuild on the carb. Wife, kids, time, money, 40. All adds up to an equation that doesn't ever get solved.

Nice work! I re furbished my tail lights a couple of months ago. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, I suggest you clean the sockets and coat with di-electric grease. I ended up cleaning and greasing every bulb and socket on my truck.:beer:

Yes sir I understand. Some days it's like sweeping fleas across the barnyard. Hard to figure out which end to start on....:hmm:

Are you going to have the head rebuilt? I am afraid to pay too much attention to mine. If I look at it too long something may go wrong!!! I have a spare valve cover that I am polishing up in my spare time (I'll post a pic when it's done). As soon as it's finished I'll pop the lid and have a "look see" at what is going on. Good luck with the head. Hopefully it was a faulty gasket or an over-torque...At least, that's the story I would stick too.!! ;)

Thanks for the tip Skidplate...My tail light housings have a severe case of the "poorlies"....I may be able to salvage them. Although, they may be too thin to media blast. I have fresh gaskets for the housings as well the items from my last post. Back in the days before color was invented and the world was black and white, I would shoot all my rubber gaskets with a dose of 100% silicon spray seem to create a good seal and add some longevity to the rubber gasket(s). If I end up with a band aide solution on the sill area this year, I'll just run my old hardware.
IMG_0485.JPG

Last edited:
No plans as of yet to rebuild the head, I had it done in 2011. Unless there are issues with it when I have it checked. My main concern is a cracked head right now, no cracks =no rebuild!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom