73 Series Soft top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone buy a soft top with frame from TROA in Columbia? Any photo of his kit installed ? They advertise on Ebay and the soft top with frame kit is around $4100.

Anyone buy a soft top with frame from TROA in Columbia? Any photo of his kit installed ? They advertise on Ebay and the soft top with frame kit is around $4100.
I don’t believe I have seen one of those tops installed. You are nearing an OEM top at that price.

Personally there are some red flags to me on this listing, but they could be unfounded.
Conflicting info, this was for the whole frame. No pictures of frame or the actual kit.

Now they pictures look like an actual OEM top so is that their photos or just OEM soft top photos? I’d have to get a lot more pictures and info.

IF and a big IF, those are pictures of their softtop and you can actually get good info from them, it looks like it could be a great top.

• · We are MANUFACTURERS not RESELLERS ! This is why we have the best priceson ebay
    • · YKK Marine grade
    • · Stainless steel soft top hardware

• Our soft top includes all twist locks to attach it to the rear tub

Customization Options

Soft top Color:

1. Vinyl on Black
    2. Vinyl on Khaki
    Rear door Options
    1. For Ambulance Door
    Windows options
    1. Light Tinted
    2. Clear

Vinyl:
    • More durable
    • More resistant to sharp edges
    • Better seal during winter: joints are heat sealed instead of stitched
    • Same color than the original Toyota tops (Khaki option)
    • Hotter than Canvas (better for winter). During summer, you cool your car by opening the windows or turning on the A/C
    • Option recommended !
    • UV protection

• Notes:
    1. Does NOT Includes the hinges, does not include the handles (sold separately @ $120 each set if delivered with the soft top, $ 190 delivered individually) Does NOT include any kind of hardware or frame, this listing is only for the soft top as listed. If you need the frame, you may order soft top and frame kit option, listed in our ebay store.
    2. Assembly instructions not included (available soon, in progress)
    3. Bolts and nuts included

4DFE6FDA-AF67-4B81-8103-A6340D0A1135.jpeg

It appears a few people have used them with decent results on the 40 series section. It would be nice to see some actual photos and frame photos, but it appears they are legit.

I have been back and forth on emails, with them. But haven't been shown any photos of the frame, which is critical as I don't have those parts. The over pax and drivers door looks like Toyota had a complicated stamped part as well as the for surround on the rear ambulance doors. I did look on Megazip for parts, everything can be ordered except the two parts I mentioned.

OEM soft top bits and pieces will be much more than $4K, at least to do it all proper.

I have been back and forth on emails, with them. But haven't been shown any photos of the frame, which is critical as I don't have those parts. The over pax and drivers door looks like Toyota had a complicated stamped part as well as the for surround on the rear ambulance doors. I did look on Megazip for parts, everything can be ordered except the two parts I mentioned.

As far as I know, all the OEM parts are still available. You might have to find a parts guru, japan4x4, Beno (if you can get him off his bike) or others may be open to helping.

It’s is $6kish for everything last I heard. So more than the $4500ish for this..but not a ton more for a legit Toyota setup. @bottombracket Just converted with an excellent post on everything needed.
1989 HDJ74 FRP to FST conversion - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1989-hdj74-frp-to-fst-conversion.1274273/

@FJ73Texas yeah it is more, but hey as @Gun Runner 5 says, spend that cheddar and make it better for the next guy to enjoy. 😂

I priced it all together back when I had my FJ73 soft top. Not for the faint of heart lol. Did you even include the front windshield frame in that $6K estimate? That is at least another $1K alone because they are not readily available like the FRP versions.

I need to find the price list somewhere....it has been a long time and may have deleted it but I do think I included the proper back doors too with the removable frames as well.

I think @cruiseroutfit did this price list for the previous owner of the BJ74 that he now owns. If memory serves me right.

Expensive. Probably $8k all in.

@FJBen ….. “ but hey as @Gun Runner 5 says, spend that cheddar and make it better for the next guy to enjoy.“
—————————————————————————————————————
Like being involved in community service……. 😊

After reading all this my asking price for this one might have gone slightly up ;)
IMG_4648.jpeg

I should say, I was close to buying it at $2500-3000 when they first came out but at $6000+, hell no.

I should say, I was close to buying it at $2500-3000 when they first came out but at $6000+, hell no.
$2500 to $3k is a little more palatable for a rare low volume top/frame.

$6k+ there is zero chance of me buying that. I would have stuck to a bikini top or figured out how to modify a Jeep top.

I love the soft top and still have some work to do and things to improve on it. Over $6k is too much.

I was close to buying one of those. But between here and FB, reviews have been pretty bad.

View attachment 3510727
That’s my 73 in the pic. I love the top. Of course since mine is #1 they made it has its little quirks but it’s a great quality top and gets compliments all the time.

That’s my 73 in the pic. I love the top. Of course since mine is #1 they made it has its little quirks but it’s a great quality top and gets compliments all the time.
Your top was the promotional top and you got it for ~$2k. They put their best foot forward.

Since then, folks are complaining about the sub par metalwork, missing parts without prompt replacement, poor communication and extremely long waiting times beyond when promised.

Your top was the promotional top and you got it for ~$2k. They put their best foot forward.

Since then, folks are complaining about the sub par metalwork, missing parts without prompt replacement, poor communication and extremely long waiting times beyond when promised.

I have bought some interior parts from jdmstan in the past and didn't and really couldn't use any of it. It was pretty trashed overpriced stuff from Pakistan.

@Zee is a much better contact for parts from pakistan if you are going to go that route but not sure if he will ever do soft tops. He has better rates for used parts and you get a preview of exactly what he is sending you first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom