6th Gen 4Runner news and rumors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Words never before heard in the 4R community. :p
I am a refuge from the 5-lug nation. I drove 2wd pickups for 17 years. They died with the second gen tacoma in 2015.

I have been waiting patiently for a turbo 4. After having a lightly modified twin scroll turbo, the Borg Warner K03 completely broke my expectations of torque from engines less than 100 cu in, let alone ~140 cu in.

The had one, briefly, for 2 years in 86 and 87.
22RTE

Replaced with the (in)famous 3.0 V6.
I had a v6 2nd gen manual and loved it.
Thought the engine threw a rod and basically gave it away. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer.

The had one, briefly, for 2 years in 86 and 87.
22RTE

Replaced with the (in)famous 3.0 V6.
I had a v6 2nd gen manual and loved it.
Thought the engine threw a rod and basically gave it away. Turned out to be the harmonic balancer.
I had an 85 and 2 98 tacomas. Loved the 2RZ. Still my favorite toyota engine just for how much space was around it. After my 2nd Tacoma was killed by a hit and run, I couldn't afford another yota, so I had a few different compact cars and ended up with a Velsoster Turbo while I had an Express 3500 work van(with an LS) the car was fun to drive after driving around my beast that had over a ton of any possible thing I could ever need on a service call. It was my first turbo and it broke my expectations. Torque for days.

I’m pretty happy with the 6th Gen release overall. I could definitely do without the big screen, but it’s not a deal breaker. I’m curious to see one side by side with the LC250. With the overall similarities in the frame and drive train, the 4Runner seems like much more of a bargain vs the LC250 at face value.

I’m not in a position (nor do I need) to buy anything for a few more years, but could see myself picking one up used in 3-5 years to replace my 100 for daily driving duties. (100 would remain for wheeling and weekend warrior duties)

I was pretty excited for this launch and would have been in a position to buy one in a couple years once they had the bugs worked out. That said, I was really, really hoping they'd bring the Tacoma's manual transmission over to the 4Runner. I'm a stick-shift junkie, and the fact that they could have, and they didn't, bums me out. Otherwise, it's almost perfect.

Overall, I like the styling in all of these new launches, but I'm completely confused by Toyota's marketing strategy here. They've launched virtually the same truck in half a dozen different body styles. There's nuanced differences, I was really hoping at least one trim would go after the Jeep/Bronco "dedicated offroader" market a little harder. As it stands, all these trims feel like Toyotas built for Toyota people, that will cannibalize share from eachother, but I can't see any of them convincing Ford and Jeep people to "switch teams" or expand Toyota's base.

They will probably sell millions and I will probably be wrong - but while I like all these launches for what they are, I can't help but feel a little disappointed for what they aren't.

I'll go back over to the 40-Series section now and cry into my carburetor ;)

I was pretty excited for this launch and would have been in a position to buy one in a couple years once they had the bugs worked out. That said, I was really, really hoping they'd bring the Tacoma's manual transmission over to the 4Runner. I'm a stick-shift junkie, and the fact that they could have, and they didn't, bums me out. Otherwise, it's almost perfect.
The manual transmission in the Taco is reportedly not great. Long throws and somewhat vague feeling.

I understand the attraction of a manual transmission in a sports car or sports sedan. But I simply don't get the attraction when talking about a 4,500 lb SUV with a vague shifter.

I think it would look better with a 4.0L V6.
I disagree. The 4.0 has terrible NVH and little low-end torque. You have to wind that engine up to high RPM to get any decent power and at high RPM the 4.0 sounds like crap. And all the while it gets horrifically bad fuel economy. There is only one redeeming feature of the 4.0 -- reliability. In every other way that engine is crap.

The 4.0 is a fine enough performing engine for a boxy BOF Offroad SUV. It really can't help that so many buy these vehicles almost exclusively as daily drivers for suburban commuting expecting car like driving, mpg and performance while kitting them out for the Outback.

Dave is just not doing it for me.
He makes that video very hard to watch. Why is his mike 8” to the side?

Putting that aside, I am 100% ditching my ‘19 Tundra this time next year. I was hoping for a good option to replace it with in either the 1958 or 4Runner, but I’m less excited about either one every day. The giant TV screen on the dash is hideous, and pretty much ruins the interior for me. I’m looking seriously at the Broncos again. Since I’m leasing, I give zero schitz about resale value or longevity. I just want a 4x4 that doesn’t look like a spaceship in the drivers seat. Thank dog I’ve still got my amazing 4.7 Sequoia!

He makes that video very hard to watch. Why is his mike 8” to the side?

Putting that aside, I am 100% ditching my ‘19 Tundra this time next year. I was hoping for a good option to replace it with in either the 1958 or 4Runner, but I’m less excited about either one every day. The giant TV screen on the dash is hideous, and pretty much ruins the interior for me. I’m looking seriously at the Broncos again. Since I’m leasing, I give zero schitz about resale value or longevity. I just want a 4x4 that doesn’t look like a spaceship in the drivers seat. Thank dog I’ve still got my amazing 4.7 Sequoia!
Why not get a 1958 or other trim LC then? Much more toned down on the styling overall and the interior has much better screen integration, physical buttons for climate, volume, etc. Just my opinion but I would take the new 250 series any day over any trim of bronco. I just don't see what the Bronco offers over it unless removable door and tops is really your thing.

Why not get a 1958 or other trim LC then? Much more toned down on the styling overall and the interior has much better screen integration, physical buttons for climate, volume, etc. Just my opinion but I would take the new 250 series any day over any trim of bronco. I just don't see what the Bronco offers over it unless removable door and tops is really your thing.
For one thing, the Bronco is actually available. I’ve yet to see any trim of LC available. Tacomas are just finally showing up 9 months late. Prices for the 250s also have not been announced in BC where I live. I’m betting they will be much more than a Bronco. I’m looking at Big Bends with Sasquatch at the moment, and lease deals are very attractive. I have time though, so I will see what develops.

For one thing, the Bronco is actually available. I’ve yet to see any trim of LC available. Tacomas are just finally showing up 9 months late. Prices for the 250s also have not been announced in BC where I live. I’m betting they will be much more than a Bronco. I’m looking at Big Bends with Sasquatch at the moment, and lease deals are very attractive. I have time though, so I will see what develops.
Comparing any vehicle going into its 4th model year to one that was unveiled 8-9 months ago and is just now rolling off the assembly line is not fair when availability is your primary concern. I’m not familiar with the market in B.C. but in the U.S. a new Big Bend with Sas will come in around the same as a 1958 spec 250. With that trim of Bronco you will get 35’s, removable top and doors, and a better off roader out of the box, but also less towing, less payload, less interior space, and most likely lesser build quality. I acknowledge none of those things may matter to you.

They get the ability to run 35s by limiting travel, thus loosing articulation. I was super excited before they launched but once I saw the pudding I knew it was less than the J150 chassis. I really wish ford would have stuck with the TTB.

I’m not looking for a rock crawler. Whatever I lease will be to haul bird dogs and snow travel. Oh, and the tax write off is the main reason.

I know the 1958 is a better vehicle, and “luckily” my Toyota dealer is screwing me on early lease return, so I have a year to wait and see. If a 1958 is actually available here in a years time, and within $100-$200 on the lease payment, it’s where I will likely go. Toyota Canada still shows the LC as “coming soon”. We still have no idea on pricing. I’m betting it will be $15,000 north of the Bronco in comparable trim.

I also have a ‘94 Bronco on 35s I picked up dirt cheap if I want to take the top off something.

The TTB were good at fast stuff. My first foray into offroading was tough truck as a gopher/junior mechanic. The guys would get too drunk working on their trucks and have me bring them parts. Even got to drive the class 8... in and out if the garage.. 😆 it was a ranger with the engine set 14" back, about 14" of travel front and rear had a 400 hp chevy 4.3 and weighed about 2000 lbs.

The other truck was a 79 F150 that would blow rearends every race cause Papa Smurf wasn't smart enough to lift his foot of the gas before he landed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom