60 Series Axle swap with the Trail Tailor Coil Conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am a dummy! I knew he had already shown it... Thanks
Man the original plan for the 1.5 years I was planning this out was to paint it in SPI Epoxy Primer. You can’t really spray it under 70 degrees and it’s winter. The SPI primer comes in black and doesn’t need to be top coated and is more durable than powder coat. I even built this super fancy home paint air supply setup and ended up not using it 😂

This rustoleum tractor paint is really durable and I am literally just blobbing it on there super thick. Kinda like the idea of being able to do touch ups with a brush. 2 quarts of it was $35 and I painted both axle housings with 3/4 of one of the cans.

The brake dust shields, hubs, and knuckles and small stuff I’m just using normal rustoleum semigloss.

The primer is just rustoleum self etching primer.

Last edited:
Determined not to have my truck smell like gear oil when I go wheeling and bring spares. Thanks Costco

IMG_5667.jpeg

Every off-road vehicle I’ve ever owned has either had Bobby longs or these axles. The stickers in the box have changed a few times but gotta keep the tradition alive.

It kind of sucks I have to cut the ends of these some and lose the grease zerk on the end to use the locking hubs though

IMG_5675.jpeg

I’ve had good luck with these trail gear rubber wiper seals on my old 4Runner, so I figured I’d give them a shot on the 80 axles.

Lots of stuff stacked on each other in there but the award for damn why I didn’t I think of that before goes to @Cruiser Cult on the knuckle light bracket.

Im planning on running the Amazon lights he’s got on his site. They have a high beam and an amber fog 2in 1. Going to run it to one factory switch on the dash to control both high and fog from one switch using @ChaserFJ60 adapters. Going to be rad

IMG_5677.jpeg

This is kind of as far as I can go. I waited most of the year for the 80 specific locking hubs to come back in stock at cruiser outfitters and I said screw it and got fj60 ones on Black Friday. They finally came back in stock and they’re going to swap them for me. There’s really not much of a difference, the dials are both gold. The 80 series specific hubs are scalloped to fit the scalloped wheel bearing hub. That’s it.

IMG_5678.jpeg

Just got to get the other side to this point and then just wait for the lock out hubs to get here!

I forgot to post this, but this is the Cruiserhead bracket and CH4x4 switch I am going to use for the axle lights. The lights im using have an amber "fog" function as well as a white light spot light function. This will control both of the functions with one switch. Im still a little on the fence with the switch as all of my other switches are either factory 80 series switches or factory 60 series switches but im willing to give it a shot. Using this little adapter is a hell of a lot easier than getting chase to print me a third dash bezel, refinishing it, and painting it. I guess if this switch ends up looking too out of place ill just get another Bezel printed and switch all of my 60 switches to 80 series switches and run an 80 series/4runner/hiace fog light switch

6KYoie6l.jpg

The one big issue with the switch is that one of the leds inside it is green and the other is blue. When you press the button, it will illuminate blue and that wont match anything else on my dash so ill need to take the switch apart and desolder the led and solder in another green led light. Im pretty sure its going to need 2 leds and one resistor. It looks like the led with the resistor is the light that is on with the headlights, and the one without the resistor is the one that illuminates bright when you press the button.

Here is an image of a similar switch, doesnt look too hard to get to and remove the led. This is one of their single button switches

ZzHqtPcl.jpg

These are the amazon lights im going to use. Theyre only $25 and since theyre mounted where theyre just going to get hit with rocks and road debris, i wont feel bad if one gets destroyed

My current Switch setup. This switch will go in the blank right next to the cig lighter

iMwRwVZh.jpg

Honestly, if someone wanted to buy this dash bezel off me, i could get chase to reprint me one so i can get rid of all of the 60 series switches. PM me if interested?

Last edited:
I forgot to post this, but this is the Cruiserhead bracket and CH4x4 switch I am going to use for the axle lights. The lights im using have an amber "fog" function as well as a white light spot light function. This will control both of the functions with one switch. Im still a little on the fence with the switch as all of my other switches are either factory 80 series switches or factory 60 series switches but im willing to give it a shot. Using this little adapter is a hell of a lot easier than getting chase to print me a third dash bezel, refinishing it, and painting it. I guess if this switch ends up looking too out of place ill just get another Bezel printed and switch all of my 60 switches to 80 series switches and run an 80 series/4runner/hiace fog light switch

6KYoie6l.jpg

The one big issue with the switch is that one of the leds inside it is green and the other is blue. When you press the button, it will illuminate blue and that wont match anything else on my dash so ill need to take the switch apart and desolder the led and solder in another green led light. Im pretty sure its going to need 2 leds and one resistor. It looks like the led with the resistor is the light that is on with the headlights, and the one without the resistor is the one that illuminates bright when you press the button.

Here is an image of a similar switch, doesnt look too hard to get to and remove the led. This is one of their single button switches

ZzHqtPcl.jpg

These are the amazon lights im going to use. Theyre only $25 and since theyre mounted where theyre just going to get hit with rocks and road debris, i wont feel bad if one gets destroyed

My current Switch setup. This switch will go in the blank right next to the cig lighter

iMwRwVZh.jpg

Honestly, if someone wanted to buy this dash bezel off me, i could get chase to reprint me one so i can get rid of all of the 60 series switches. PM me if interested?
Pm’d

Got this thing somewhat aligned. Did 1/8 of an inch narrower in the front. Will that get me to 2*? Who knows. After this is fully installed I’d like to get the truck on an alignment rack and have them set it at 2* and then re measure so I can have a good measurement to go off of.

IMG_5724.jpeg

6KYoie6l.jpg

ZzHqtPcl.jpg

iMwRwVZh.jpg

Sent you a PM

Change of plans. @ChaserFJ60 is going to print me another AC bezel, this time eliminating all of the FJ60 switches completely. These are the switches ill be using. The defrost, and rear heat will just be rewired through the wiring on the stock fj60 harness. The Fog light switch will power the Axle lights. Im going to lose the dual beam functionality but oh well. These are either from a toyota Hiace or a toyota prado or the weird cab over work truck from overseas

s-l1600.jpg

For the rear wiper, Im leaning towards this switch from a firstgen4runner. It has the same functionality of the stock FJ60 switch. On-Off-mist. It dosnt really match, so im trying to see if i can find something else before buying one.

s-l1200.webp

The whole point in swapping these all out is to have backlit switches that all brighten and dim with my rheostat.

These things look awesome. You pick them up on ebay or something? Do they snap right into the tall toyota switch holes?
I basically have @ChaserFJ60 print me a new bezel with fj80 sized switch holes instead of fj60 sized holes, then they just pop right in. I got these from ebay from the middle east but you can get them for cheaper on amayama or megazip if you have more time. I basically just searched every toyota interior available in the 1990s years that i could find pictures of online. From hiace vans, to commercial vans and trucks, the weird fj60 looking bus thing, corollas, celicas, etc. Then I found the part numbers on megazip then searched the internet for the part numbers.

The pic with the three switches i lucked out and there was one seller selling them all individually. He combined them for one order for me. Hes got plenty more switches available too. The 4runner rear wiper switch i just remembered from my old firstgen 4runner. I think its the only one that will work. I cant find any other vertical rear wiper switch from any toyota that is backlit besides that one.

If you look at the right side of this ac bezel Chase printed me the same sized holes there to the right of the locker dial. He also printed the locker dial. Its basically going to look exactly like this on teh right side, but on the left it will be these new switches instead of the weird shaped fj60 switches. Im going to keep the cig lighter because it keeps it old school looking

iMwRwVZh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom