5th gen 4 runner vs LC250 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Am I the only one that’s pissed about how little you get on a base GX OT vs. well equipped LC? Yeah the diffs and engine are nice but no 3 zone climate, digital rear view, lack of hybrid/2400 inverter, likely worse sound system, memory seats/steering? There’s little incentive to go with Lexus as an aspirational upgrade rather than the Toyota variant.

Honestly torn. I like how the GX looks much more, love KDSS and assumed it would have higher quality interior but even that seems questionable now. Value for money I’m at a loss, including money saved on not having to make aftermarket purchases.

I would like to think so but the more I chew on it the more I’m skeptical. Has Toyota ever put as much torque to an 8.2 diff as with the turbo hybrid? In 4L1 locked at full payload?

Where Land Cruisers have historically been overbuilt to capacities, with 9.5” rear diffs paired to vastly less torque, this decision seems out of step—especially for a design like the 1958 whose wheel wells and modular bumpers seem to beg aftermarket modification.

Time will tell.

This is where I'm at. what 8.2 diff has been subject to that kind of torque in a heavy vehicle?

The GX is the most power ever in front of the 8.2. but it's not even close on applied torque. The 4.6 was mated to the a760f. First gear not nearly as low as the 8 speed. And the V8 doesn't peak torque at lower RPMs. The new powertrain has about 3 times as much torque as the 4.6 did in 1st gear.

But - the torque on the diff is limited by traction. And that's probably true on both the older GX and new one. Weight isn't that far off. Plenty of 4Runners are running around with superchargers and 7k lb curb weight. And they seem to work okay. 🤷🏼

The other thought I have is that Toyota probably doesn't give you the full torque. I bet they throttle it back a lot in low range and in first and second gears.

The GX is the most power ever in front of the 8.2. but it's not even close on applied torque. The 4.6 was mated to the a760f. First gear not nearly as low as the 8 speed. And the V8 doesn't peak torque at lower RPMs. The new powertrain has about 3 times as much torque as the 4.6 did in 1st gear.

But - the torque on the diff is limited by traction. And that's probably true on both the older GX and new one. Weight isn't that far off. Plenty of 4Runners are running around with superchargers and 7k lb curb weight. And they seem to work okay. 🤷🏼

The other thought I have is that Toyota probably doesn't give you the full torque. I bet they throttle it back a lot in low range and in first and second gears.

I think Toyota should actually talk about this. It’s a huge departure; let’s hear the rationale.

I think Toyota should actually talk about this. It’s a huge departure; let’s hear the rationale.
I agree - it is fairly concerning…

Does the new Tacoma Trd Pro come with the 9.5 or the 8.2?

If it’s the 9.5, then that makes zero sense and really seems like the 250’s diff is not fit for the task.

Do we have any production diff pics of the 250 yet that have hit the dealer lots to confirm the 8.2 inch rear end size?

Am I the only one that’s pissed about how little you get on a base GX OT vs. well equipped LC? Yeah the diffs and engine are nice but no 3 zone climate, digital rear view, lack of hybrid/2400 inverter, likely worse sound system, memory seats/steering? There’s little incentive to go with Lexus as an aspirational upgrade rather than the Toyota variant.

Honestly torn. I like how the GX looks much more, love KDSS and assumed it would have higher quality interior but even that seems questionable now. Value for money I’m at a loss, including money saved on not having to make aftermarket purchases.
This was precisely why I made the chart. The prevailing mindset seems to be "Just buy the GX" but as shown, it's not as simple as that. I do wish the 250 got the 9.5 though I'm still confident that won't be relevant for most first owners.

Before anyone says "why do you even care about the features" if I didn't I would have bought an outgoing 460 when those were being heavily discounted.

By the time I will be doing any serious off roading that would remotely needs a bigger 9.5, probably would be time to swap it anyway 😂... I know bigger matters (TWSS) but I am more than ok with my smaller one ... (😉).

Yup. LC/LC it is ! 🫂🎉☀️

This was precisely why I made the chart. The prevailing mindset seems to be "Just buy the GX" but as shown, it's not as simple as that. I do wish the 250 got the 9.5 though I'm still confident that won't be relevant for most first owners.

Before anyone says "why do you even care about the features" if I didn't I would have bought an outgoing 460 when those were being heavily discounted.

Doesn't look like they do.

View attachment 3614944
I’m optimistic that they do. The allocation sheet for mine says

“Three-zone automatic front and rear climate control, push-button controls, separate second-row control panel, individual temperature settings for driver, front passenger and rear-seat passengers”

I’m thinking if it has the second row control panel then there aren’t vents in that location, thus overhead.

And I snagged this photo from the San Diego drive event. This video also shows the second row control panel without vents on the console.

Where are people getting the info that the 1958 lacks overhead vents? I want to look into it if anyone has a reference.

IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1575.png

I think we'll find out as soon as they start hitting the trails with lifts and tires. If it can't handle the traction/torque/weight with 35s (the size I think will be the standard size everyone swaps for off-road) we'll find out quick. Haven't seen Tacomas blowing up diffs yet - so that's a good sign.

I didn't break my 8.2 in 8 years. Im still amazed I never broke a front axle either. I wouldn't have believed I could hammer on the little clamshell as hard as I did and not break it. I bought 2 spare shafts and 2 spare front diffs initially when I got it and never used them. I was proven wrong. So I'm probably wrong here too. 🤷🏼

I’m optimistic that they do. The allocation sheet for mine says

“Three-zone automatic front and rear climate control, push-button controls, separate second-row control panel, individual temperature settings for driver, front passenger and rear-seat passengers”

I’m thinking if it has the second row control panel then there aren’t vents in that location, thus overhead.

And I snagged this photo from the San Diego drive event. This video also shows the second row control panel without vents on the console.

Where are people getting the info that the 1958 lacks overhead vents? I want to look into it if anyone has a reference.

View attachment 3615346
View attachment 3615347
Your info is likely better than mine. My source was googling "2024 Land Cruiser 1958 interior"

Reactions: LCQ
I think we'll find out as soon as they start hitting the trails with lifts and tires. If it can't handle the traction/torque/weight with 35s (the size I think will be the standard size everyone swaps for off-road) we'll find out quick. Haven't seen Tacomas blowing up diffs yet - so that's a good sign.

I didn't break my 8.2 in 8 years. Im still amazed I never broke a front axle either. I wouldn't have believed I could hammer on the little clamshell as hard as I did and not break it. I bought 2 spare shafts and 2 spare front diffs initially when I got it and never used them. I was proven wrong. So I'm probably wrong here too. 🤷🏼
A lot of axle breakages have a direct relation to the driver behind the wheel. I've wheeled on Dana 30s and 44s in pretty gnarly stuff and never had one break.

@Fort9378 and @TWILLY ,

For the tables ! I aksed, nicely in IG, and the user answer me wiuth that pic ! :)

I'm off work today so I'm using my powers for this effort. I think I captured most of the specs that matter. Anything that was the same across all platforms I left out. I'll add weight and payload once we get real weight numbers for the 250.

View attachment 3614746

Important to note that a lot of the tech stuff can be added as options on the Overtrail. I did the comparison using the base model of all of the above trims with no additional options.

RDT_20240424_1408481635683935148975920.png

Last edited:
Correction on the OT+, it should have heated mirrors. The last spec sheet I saw stated heated mirrors and a fast response heater. This should be the same as the cold weather package on the other GX trims. Think it comes with wiper de-over too.

Correction on the OT+, it should have heated mirrors. The last spec sheet I saw stated heated mirrors and a fast response heater. This should be the same as the cold weather package on the other GX trims. Think it comes with wiper de-over too.
I can fix that. I couldn't find it anywhere on the feature list but maybe it was called something else.

I can only find reference to the headlamp washer. Cold area package doesn't list heated mirrors in the GX brochure PDF or on the website. Could just be an oversight but I'm going to leave as is unless you can find a reference.

I can only find reference to the headlamp washer. Cold area package doesn't list heated mirrors in the GX brochure PDF or on the website. Could just be an oversight but I'm going to leave as is unless you can find a reference.
1714005738371.png

You can see the physical rear/mirror defroster button in photos for both OT trims.

1714006166677.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom