5.3 vortec, fuel pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

by 'pickup' ntsqd means the tube that runs into the fuel tank for fuel to be removed by the fuel pump. with the 62, since it has an in tank pump, this pickup does not exist like in the 60. the question is, how does your fuel line connect into the tank so fuel can be removed.

Exactly. I've no familiarity with how a 62's tank & pump are laid out, but if the pump isn't in the tank they must have replaced it with something?

I think Rover67 went down this road, but why can't one of the hi-po in-tank pumps be put in place of the 62's stock in-tank pump?

I'm doubting that the spec for a 62's fuel pressure is barely into the double digits, but that the 5.3 would want more pressure than stock 62 pressure is no surprise.

Exactly. I've no familiarity with how a 62's tank & pump are laid out, but if the pump isn't in the tank they must have replaced it with something?

I think Rover67 went down this road, but why can't one of the hi-po in-tank pumps be put in place of the 62's stock in-tank pump?

I'm doubting that the spec for a 62's fuel pressure is barely into the double digits, but that the 5.3 would want more pressure than stock 62 pressure is no surprise.

Replacing the 62's in tank pump with a Hi-Perf pump is doable for sure... I just had a LRA tank (aftermarket long range), and a stock 60 tank before that so I didn't do it.

Also, the 62's stock pump will run a vortec, we did it on satchel's truck for a little while while diagnosing other things. it certainly starves for fuel way up high, but it works.

Can we get a few pictures of the setup if possible? like snap a photo of the pump and filter combo?

Also, if you keep running into dead ends i might be able to help out since I am relatively close up here in Boulder. This weekend is pretty busy for me since I need to go check some of our adopt a road trail conditions.

How far away from the tank is the inline pump? Inline pumps work fine but they have to be as close to the tank as possible. The further away they are the harder they have to work to pull the gas. This pump is 6 years old and if it had a hard life it might be dying. You might want to put a fuel pressure gauge after the regulator to check psi when the problem arises.

When I went to TBI after years with a carb, I used an external pump from an early 90s Ford truck mounted as close to the tank as I could get it. I used a filter ahead of it from a '92 Caravan since it was common and had a nifty mounting tab on it already. I used the stock supply and return lines with fresh rubber where applicable. Been on for several years now, never had a single problem. A friend and fellow Mudder used the same pump on his TBI conversion on his 2F and has not had any problems with his either. Apparently the tanks are very well baffled, I have never even sputtered when down so low on fuel that it took 23 gallons to fill it.

BTB fuel pump for 5.3 vortec is 43 gph, mex pressure of 125 psi.

BTW, Fuel pressure for the Flex Fuel engines is 48-54 PSI. The one I checked with a stock FPR on the fuel rail was running at 48PSI at idle.

For the Gas motors it should be 55-62PSI. I used to shoot for 58PSI on my gas motor (LM7 engine code) when i had an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Now I have the non adjustable Corvette filter/regulator combo and it runs at a steady 58PSI.

whatever pump you have or get it should be capable of keeping this pressure up to red line, engine loaded, and wide open throttle to prevent any possibilities of lean conditions.

Have you figured it out yet?

Attached are two pictures of my set up, fuel pump and fuel filter. Pump is the bigger cannister on the left attached to the frame. The filter is all the way on the right in the picture. They are a couple feet apart at most. The tank is less than a foot away but approx. a foot of hose to it. I have not figured it out. Waiting on replacement pump and filter to troubleshoot. Also very busy at work and haven't had much time. Any more ideas are welcome and I will let you know how I turn out with the new parts once installed (hopefully this weekend). :bounce:
DSCN0233.jpg
DSCN0231.jpg

That looks to be a std carb style fuel filter. Those are usually a 40 micron rating, which I think is too fine of a filter, too restrictive, for that location. Suggest by-passing it to see how it runs then.

Talking to a guy here at work, he thinks it may be vapor locking. His suggestion was to put a gallon of diesel in the tank with it full of unleaded. Sounds scary since I am still learning a lot about motors. He said he's done it with success. He's obviously biased being a crane operator. Thoughts?

No effing way would I ever do that! A little bit of diesel in gasoline lowers the effective octane by a large number.

I don't think that there's any argument as whether it's vapor locking or not. The question is, what is the cause? It didn't use to do this and now it does, so what changed? What got plugged? What is getting hot when it didn't used to?

Yeah, I guess bad pump leads to vapor lock too. I'm new. Anyway, really it has always done it. It did it on its maiden voyage home. It just seems to have gotten worse. I have put less than 1k miles on it so I don't really know what it used to do. Not that it matters "just sayin' ". Hopefully I'll get the pump and filter on and go for a spin :bounce: and see what happens. If it doesn't work at least I can rule it out. :meh:

Like ntsqd said, start by bypassing the filter. It could be a partially clogged. If that solves your problem great. If not, replace the pump. Replacing an inline pump is not difficult at all. Personally I would put it further back closer to the tank but that's just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom