4spd tranny w/3sp tcase, trying to hook up linkage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 4 spd tranny and a 3spd tcase. I installed the tranny into my '71 cruiser a while ago. 2wd works great, but it has always been a work in progress so I haven't used 4wd for a while. Now it doesn't work, it was vacuum operated but I wanted to switch over to direct linkage anyway.

I think I have all the linkage for a 3 and 4 spd set up. I know I need the shifter fork from a 4spd for its length, but is there a compatibility issue since its a 4spd part in a 3spd tcase? I'm asking this because it will not shift into 4wd.

I do not have the linkage hooked up for hi/lo, but I don't think that will affect the 4wd shift...

Any help would be great, its starting to get really frustrating.

Below is pic of the parts I have to work with.
shift.jpg

I did pretty the samething using the 4spd shifting linkage and the 4spd front wheel shifting unit (the one that attached to the front nose cone). That was about it. I didn't have to adjust anything.

If you use all 4sp shifter parts from the top cover (or at least the shifter pawl) to the 2W/4W fork assembly, it is a bolt in job.

Use the pieces pictured, and also, the shift lever in the top cover of the four speed transfer case that the range lever attaches to:

:beer:
shift01.jpg
shift02.jpg

Those are the parts that I'm using, but it won't shift into 4wd... There isn't any way to install the shift fork wrong is there? Shift forks slides into collar and then bolt the cover on right?

Is there anything else I might be overlooking that won't let me shift into 4wd? The lever has a little play in it, it wants to shift, but something won't let it.

3=4 spd

Spin front shaft and rear shaft while pulling 2-4wd shifter to and see if the will lck together

Is there anything else I might be overlooking that won't let me shift into 4wd? The lever has a little play in it, it wants to shift, but something won't let it.

It could be that the front drive engagement fork isn't seated into the collar correctly. Ignore the linkage until you can shift it manually from underneath. x2 on rotating the front shaft while trying it. Leave the hubs unlocked until you get it figured out.

Those are the parts that I'm using, but it won't shift into 4wd... There isn't any way to install the shift fork wrong is there? Shift forks slides into collar and then bolt the cover on right?

Make sure your front drive collar is orientated like the one in the picture below and that the fork is actually in the groove on the collar.

Can you move the actuation rod in the front drive housing freely?

Did you change the nose cone assembly from the four-speed transfer case to the three-speed case? There could be a spline compatibility issue with the front output shaft as the four speed main shaft, drive coupler and front output shaft changed from coarse spline to fine spline where the front drive coupler engages the two shafts back in 05/75. Previous to that they were the coarse spline units.

attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom