40 needs help turnin. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time for a power steering conversion in the 72 fj40, stock F.

I know several on this board (Todd, Mark, etc..) have done this and/or know how to do this. I'm looking for advice and parts.

I'm leaning toward the fj60 conversion. Good idea? Uses parts I understand, and puts the steering box in a better spot than the gm swap. I don't think the mini box swap is worth the time and effort.

My GM alternator is on the drivers side of the block, I assume that has to be moved.

I will need a box, pump, a 2 groove (wide) pulley, etc.

I'm finding that unlike the mini world... there are not cheap kit options. Ive always heard you Land Cruiser peeps were sick but now I know just how sick you all are! 1500-2k for a swap kit and some don't even have the box and pump....bannas!

So if you have parts or wisdom, both are appreciated (as are ambiguously gay remarks).

You can look into swapping in a saginaw style box as well. That's what they use on the heeps, and while its not toyota, you can probibly find them cheap and damn near anywhere. If your looking for forward swing ignore all that.

You can look into swapping in a saginaw style box as well. That's what they use on the heeps, and while its not toyota, you can probibly find them cheap and damn near anywhere. If your looking for forward swing ignore all that.

Yeah, thats what I meant when I said GM box (see how little i know)....I wasnt crazy about that, but not ruling it out.

I have done five sag swaps. One scout, one Astro, and three big car/jeep CJ boxes. I think the big car is the best.

I shall research...

Pumps and the box would be cheap and easy to find.... That's about the only advantage I can think of. I have read about people using 70 something f-150 boxes on Toyota solid axle swaps. Supposedly you can turn 37's with no hydro assist, the disadvantage they are fxxxing huge.

Also, and this may sound dumb, but I don't really want old GM feeling steering, over powered, no feel....video game steering... Maybe for the 4runner, but no the 40.

Hmm I'm trying to recall my jeep with saginaw style steering, that was many beers ago. From what i remember It had pretty good feeling to it, and if you stopped paying attention for more than a second it tried to kill you, is that what you are looking for? It definitely felt better than our diesel military surplus k5 blazers we had at the airport i was working at the time.

It was close to the 40 when you let me drive it. The downside is, and take if for what its worth, the steering would overheat pretty quickly off road wheeling on 33's with a front locker, any bigger tires and it was needing some hydro assist. That also may have been a function of my piss poor college aged maintenance and wheeling budget.

Good point, the steering box is just a piece of the steering feel puzzle.

I'm pretty sure I have Jeep J10 box left over from my Willys project. I think I have a ham can pump or two as well. The wife would probably be happy if I didn't own them anymore.

Why not an 80 series box?

Whimp (had to) I love the scout box I have, but it is all I know. It was my best choice due to my engine being mounted by a plate across the front. This put the steering shaft along the frame rail, away from the plate. It seems to have plenty of power for the heavy ass wheels and tires I have. As far as a pump I got one from Speedway Motors that mounts to the head on my chevy, I'm sure you could rig up some way of putting it on your F. The box was quick and easy even for me.

He said pump...and box

I'll pump your box!

I have a mini (22re) pump & reservoir if you need them for any part of this action.
Only one I ever did was the stock mini box from a factory solid axle truck. & it is a lot of work for push pull & all the links still involved.

I have IFS boxes as well but don't know if those will work but you're welcome to any thing I have.

And I mean anything....get it...wink, wink.

Sigh, I don't know what a j10 box is or why an 80 box should be considered, or the difference between an astro box and a scout box, or what a ham can pump is.... Therefore, I have no answers.... Only questions.... And now I have more, y'all stink. :(

Ham can pump is a pump that basically has a tear drop shape (ham can) resivoir built on it. One piece unit.

Just to add more box options, I use a Nissan Frontier box.:worms:

J10 was the 1/2 ton pickup Jeep used to sell, like the yellow one that Helen Hunt drives and that gets destroyed in the movie 'Twister'. The Saginaw box they used is very much like the ones used in Jeep CJs. They are usually held on with the preferred 4 bolts (vs 3) and are 4+ turns lock to lock (vs something less than 4).

As was stated, the ham can pump really describes the shape of the resevoir the pump comes with. It's essentially a stock GM pump that was used with a saginaw steering gear box.

the J10 full size jeep pickups and Wagoneers use the same casting number pump as the 69 Impala box that Mud seems to think is the only 4 bolt four turn sag box out there.

ham can pumps were pretty much all you can find for GM pumps until the new tiny remote reservoir types came out.

Astro box is a regular sag type box but it turns backward so the pitman stick out front ways. I put it on a 40 once because I wanted to coil spring the front and wanted to chop off the overhang like I did with the pig. Scout box is what I have on the swb. It mounts behind the crossmember and looks clean, but the relay rod and pitman cross the plane of the left leaf spring. woody uses a pitman snubber on his spring to keep them from interfering.

I know nothing of this 80 box you speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom