3rd Gen 4Runner 4x4 Labs Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What do you think the whole package weighs? I am curious as to how much it might squat a rear end.

What do you think the whole package weighs? I am curious as to how much it might squat a rear end.

Well the shipping weight was 237lbs. and I'm undecided if it sags more than it did with my last bumper. I had a bumper I made 1o years ago out of 1/8" steel - just bumper no swing arms + tow package + 3/4" plywood platform in the back + stock spare + recovery gear (come along, 50+ cable, d-shackles, jumper cables etc) about 60+ pounds of crap and I think it sits about the same height. It feels different driving (heavier-ish) but it doesn't really sag (like the 2nd gens stock). I've got the OME heavy duty rear springs...

I've got access to a set of stock 80 front springs I'll probably try just to see what they are like but suspect they will feel soft despite adding lift. At a minimum I figure I'll add airbags to adjust height when loaded down for EXPO but may switch out the springs as well.

I added an attachment for a bike rack and made it detachable for different switching out accessories. A 2" receiver from Harbor Freight + an extra 4x4Labs sleeve.

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

more....

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Now I'm trying to adjust ride height and can't remember which OME rear springs I've got. I thought I had the beefiest spring they made but now they show 3 versions - medium, HD 330LBS , & HD constant 660LBS. Does anyone know if there were all 3 options 9 years ago or just the 2 options as my memory recalls?

Based on the weight of my old bumper, towpackage, gear ect... I would have picked the HD 330LBS (PN 2906) version. But now with the new bumper and loaded for expo i'd pick the HD 660LBS (PN 2891).

I just installed a set of stock 80 front springs in the rear to test them out. They have been uncompressed for 5+ years so they will take some time to settle back in but the ride height was much better. Hard to tell at night so I'll see in the morning just how much. I suspect they will sag with full expo gear so I may have to add airbags to adjust for weight but ultimately I think the progressive OME springs will be best. I've really enjoyed the set I've used for 9 years!

Any input and experience would be great, thanks!

Found out today from the vendor that I have OME 891 springs. After installing the FJ80 springs I'm pretty pleased, the ride height is correct and the feel and handling is nice. Much better than tired OME 891 springs. I plan to load up for expo this weekend go run some trails in the mountains. Hoping these springs will do the trick and if they don't maybe some airbags to level when fully loaded.

Does the OME 891 match the OME 2891 or the OME 2906?

IMG_0225.jpg

The 80 springs worked great on the trial and so far very happy with them. I think I might need to add air bags for leveling once fully loaded but for the day to day driving and trail rides this seems to do the trick:D

DSC_0149.jpg

That is an awesome setup! A tire carrier is on the list of mods for my '96 Taco, you def gave me some ideas here!

Just finished adding the "boner" table and idea I borrowed from Alia176. It's setup to cam closed to keep tight on the trail and easily holds a stove with a pot full of water. Schwing!

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

THAT is awesome!

Ok...think I'm done with the OCD and off to powder coating tomorrow!:clap:

On a pallet

image.jpg

Here it is! I still need to install the table, unfortunately the hinge must of had plastic internals that melted away during the powder coating. I'll just end up bolting a new hinge on to the table instead of welding.

IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0490.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0489.jpg

Looks awesome. I am super jealous. Hopefully when I get some other things off my plate, I will be able to get something like that on mine.

Very cool, I'd be happy with a simple swing out on mine just to get my spare out of the cargo area. This has given me some great ideas to complicate mine even more thanks, lol.
I ran the 80 coils in mine for awhile, I found them to be to soft, seeing yours carry all that weight makes me wonder if I did something wrong.
Great looking truck over all BTW.

Between here and there

Bump for a question. How much cutting was required on the rear frame ends? There is a group buy on kits and I am trying to determine if this is a project I need to take on right now. Also, I have a tandem axle trailer that I pull from time to time, what are your thoughts on towing with the integrated hitch on this bumper.

Thanks

Bump for a question. How much cutting was required on the rear frame ends? There is a group buy on kits and I am trying to determine if this is a project I need to take on right now. Also, I have a tandem axle trailer that I pull from time to time, what are your thoughts on towing with the integrated hitch on this bumper.

Thanks

None! The 4Runner frame doesn't extend out as far as the 80's so no trimming necessary. I ended boxing the end of my frame for some added strength and placed a extra bolt at the end of the frame. Probably not needed but while I was in there...

Towing is no problem and I'd say it's much stronger than the class 3 hitch I had on before this bumper. It's thicker gauge metal and the receiver is tied in front and rear with gussets and over all boxed in. The receiver hitch was a drop down piece that bolted on under frame and this bolts in between the frame. I pulled a trailer this summer with a pallet of flag stone and I bet the whole thing weighed ~2 tons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom