3rd Gen 4Runner 4x4 Labs Rear Bumper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got one of 4x4 Labs rear bumper kits for my '97 4Runner after a fender bender in rush hour traffic. This kit is in development and is a great beefy package! The main shell started life as a FJ80 shell so it has been cut down, reshaped, and adjusted for the 4Runner. Luke spent some extra time on the side "wings" to get them just right and they are beautiful :beer:

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

Last edited:
more pics

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

:bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

I have been looking for some information on this kit for my 98. I will be following this thread closely to see the finished product. I actually emailed Luke for some info a few months ago, but never got anything back. I guess the email I have is still good.

Anyway, can you share some pricing info. Did you get a swingout package? I see the spindles in one of your pictures. I also see some pretty big gaps between the shell and the wings. So this is the prototype unit? Please post lots of pictures of the process and especially of the finished bumper.

Is there a tube for the wings? The kickout on the top of the wings is interesting and I am curious how that gets finished off.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
:bounce::bounce2::bounce::bounce2:

I have been looking for some information on this kit for my 98. I will be following this thread closely to see the finished product. I actually emailed Luke for some info a few months ago, but never got anything back. I guess the email I have is still good.

Anyway, can you share some pricing info. Did you get a swingout package? I see the spindles in one of your pictures. I also see some pretty big gaps between the shell and the wings. So this is the prototype unit? Please post lots of pictures of the process and especially of the finished bumper.

Is there a tube for the wings? The kickout on the top of the wings is interesting and I am curious how that gets finished off.

Thanks in advance.

All of the pricing is on the website and is the same as the 80 series, I'm guessing it could be the same across all platforms. I ordered the dual swing kit with tire carrier, ladder option 2, and the 3 can carrier plus 3 extra accessary sleeves and after shipping it was $1700.

Yes I would call this kit a prototype, I know he has done other 3rd gen 4Runner bumpers but I didn't get the feeling that there is a final design package and standard parts yet. Even with the few mismatched edges it's a really nice kit and Luke has sent me some filler pieces that worked out nice.

Yes there is tubing for the top of the wings...more pics to follow!

More...

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

more...

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

All of the pricing is on the website and is the same as the 80 series, I'm guessing it could be the same across all platforms. I ordered the dual swing kit with tire carrier, ladder option 2, and the 3 can carrier plus 3 extra accessary sleeves and after shipping it was $1700.

Yes I would call this kit a prototype, I know he has done other 3rd gen 4Runner bumpers but I didn't get the feeling that there is a final design package and standard parts yet. Even with the few mismatched edges it's a really nice kit and Luke has sent me some filler pieces that worked out nice.

Yes there is tubing for the top of the wings...more pics to follow!

Good info. I am really interested in one of these little beauties and I may have to give Luke a call to see about picking up a kit once a few of the bugs are worked out. I don't have the tools to do some of the more exact cutting it looks like you have done, for moving the tow points and such. I have a grinder and cut-off wheels, so just enough to be dangerous.

I agree with the tube, the wings look like they are going to fit nicely and lines would go perfectly with my front bumper.

If you are talking to him regularly then let him know that there is interest in this bumper and that I have seen this build thread linked in the Toyota-4Runner forum and there is some buzz.

I will be watching with anticipation.

Thanks,

Matthew

I'd give him another call and drop him an email, he can be a bit hard to get a hold of but glad he's busy!

Cool I'm happy its creating some buzz, I tried to find even 1 pic of the 4Runner version and couldn't. But based on a friend's 80 series bumper I knew it would be a great bumper. There are components I plan to incorporate into my home made FJ40 rear bumper i built a few years ago like the struts positioned for cam action to keep the swings closed when unlatched.

The only other tools I used to move the recovery points is a drill and a jigsaw. ;)

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

more...

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

I am liking the way this is coming together.

Couple quick questions, Can you get some more shots of how the wings look from the side and along the back of the wheel opening? I have a limited and I am trying to decide how the wings will work against the limited flares.

Also, I am guessing you are burning it in with a 220V machine, or are you using a 110V? I have a M211 and am using 110v on flux core for most things right now. Have 220V option, but would need to figure out how to get the power out to the garage.

Thanks,

Matthew

I am liking the way this is coming together.

Couple quick questions, Can you get some more shots of how the wings look from the side and along the back of the wheel opening? I have a limited and I am trying to decide how the wings will work against the limited flares.

Also, I am guessing you are burning it in with a 220V machine, or are you using a 110V? I have a M211 and am using 110v on flux core for most things right now. Have 220V option, but would need to figure out how to get the power out to the garage.

Thanks,

Matthew

Yup I'm use a 190amp 220V mig welder with .035 wire

Here are a few pic of the wings, still haven't welded in the end caps and tubing along the top. I'd think this would look pretty good with the limited flares and probably line up nice. I've got a 1" body lift...

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

more...

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

I've been trying to post those photos since my last post on 12/10! Turns out when your photos are too large vBulletin tell you this...

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

Not that your photo are too large for it to handle :rolleyes:

I am loving it!! I want one more and more with every picture you post.

What are your plans for finishing? You gonna powdercoat it or just rattle can it?

How are you incorporating the military ammo can into the bumper set up? Any close ups of it's use?

It mounts to the horizontal support for the basket with 2 L-brackets. I'm planning on making a plate that goes on the inside of the can to reinforce it.

This was originally Sl33p3's idea and is going to be used to store used PETTs on the trail, nothing like a PETT turning ripe in the trasharoo to stink up a camp site. :flush:

Also installed a 1700 lumen aux backup light from superbrightleds.com. I had 2 50watt aux lights on my old bumper but this one light (2 10watt LEDs) is so much brighter! Planning on combining it with 3way switch for on,off,backup.

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0079 copy.jpg

I am loving it!! I want one more and more with every picture you post.

What are your plans for finishing? You gonna powdercoat it or just rattle can it?

Hopefully powder coating! Looking at a HarborFreight PC setup (probably spend money on the paint elsewhere) and I've got access to a large kiln but not sure if it will fit the bumper shell. Also have a lead on a cheap powder coater in town but haven't talked to him yet. Last resort will be rattle can...

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom