3FE electrical (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No the 62 ignition switch will not fit a 40 column. U are welcome to wire I'm not using . I cut and shortened a lot so most likely what you need will be in the box

No the 62 ignition switch will not fit a 40 column. U are welcome to wire I'm not using . I cut and shortened a lot so most likely what you need will be in the box
So I am putting a 3FE into my 88 FJ73. It ha a VM diesel in it now. It’s a 12V truck. I have the ignition coil and ECU. Not sure if what I have to do for a fuel pump. Hoping I can get away with a Napa fuel pump mounted on the frame. Can I easily wire my column ignition into the ECU? I’m going pretty blind on this.

Chris

You are going to need to provide a LOT more info on what you actually have.. Do you have the in the cab portion of the 3fe harness? it has the bits that goto the fuel pump relay and the computer. I would imagine any 12v column switch can be made to trigger the 3fe.. and a later switch most likely has multiple hot with key/start pinouts.. I do recommend getting cozy with a wiring schematic for your engine you currently have and for the 3fe. The 3fe can run with an external pump, i tested mine that way. i have the pump and plan on keeping it as a trail spare.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately a lot of people simply reply back saying “ why are you putting that POS in there. Simple answer is I love wheeling with a inline six. And I got a running engine for 500 bucks.

I just downloaded an engine manual and am going to print it out. As far at electrical stuff, I know I have the ECU.

the purchase didn’t include the bell house. But did include the AC , radiator, all intake, exhaust pipe, Starter , flywheel, and newer clutch components.

The donor FJ62 got a LS engine. I don’t think I have the cab harness. Like you suggested , I am going to have to get cozy with the manual.

I don’t even know if my BJ73 has a intank pump. If it does, I have know idea how many pounds it pumps. I am recovering from shoulder surgery so it’s hard to get under the rig. I just got it a couple of months ago. How many PSI do I need to feed the 3FE?

thanks for any comments and help

I have the pump info written down at home and the pump #'s i have used.. I test fired mine with the external pump, but used an intank pump for the final install.
Hardest part most 3fe converts do not understand is the engine comes out very easily with 2 of the 3 computer plugs.. the third plug is what fires almost everything else. aka talkes to the computer. The third plug is part of the internal FJ62 harness. There are 2 different internal harness.. 87-88 and 89.. one plug difference in the two. Prob not a huge difference but try to stay apples to apples if you are going there.
bellhousing is a bellhousing.. you can toss a 3spd, 4spd or 5 spd bellhousing on there along with an f or 2f flywheel clutch.. you can use the f or 2f engine mounts if you do not care for the ac mount on the pass side. If you really study a wiring harness then i'm sure you can get that third plug from just about any toyota and try and wire it yourself.. I surgically dissected the whole fj62 harness and kept just what was needed to make the engine run..

I also understand the previous owner not pulling the cab harness out when doing a swap! been there done that.. and yes.. inline 6 engines are great, just not so great in a wagon..

I have the pump info written down at home and the pump #'s i have used.. I test fired mine with the external pump, but used an intank pump for the final install.
Hardest part most 3fe converts do not understand is the engine comes out very easily with 2 of the 3 computer plugs.. the third plug is what fires almost everything else. aka talkes to the computer. The third plug is part of the internal FJ62 harness. There are 2 different internal harness.. 87-88 and 89.. one plug difference in the two. Prob not a huge difference but try to stay apples to apples if you are going there.
bellhousing is a bellhousing.. you can toss a 3spd, 4spd or 5 spd bellhousing on there along with an f or 2f flywheel clutch.. you can use the f or 2f engine mounts if you do not care for the ac mount on the pass side. If you really study a wiring harness then i'm sure you can get that third plug from just about any toyota and try and wire it yourself.. I surgically dissected the whole fj62 harness and kept just what was needed to make the engine run..

I also understand the previous owner not pulling the cab harness out when doing a swap! been there done that.. and yes.. inline 6 engines are great, just not so great in a wagon..
Thanks. I’ll try sourcing the other half of the harness. I’m curious When do you throw in the towel and just buy Holly sniper set up. It’s super easy. I put one in the rat rod on top of the hemi

when i started my project the Sniper was not an option.. If i had a running 2f, i would probably do a sniper. we are putting a sniper in Alan's FJ45 with a 2f.. Currently getting it running on a carb but wired it up for the sniper when i built the wiring harness.. A whole lot less wires with a sniper. siper with an in tank pump and hydramat in the tank for the pickup. I am not a fan of external pumps of any type.. they are loud and annoying and run hot. Check out alan's FJ45 thread in the 45 section.. We are currently trying to finish up his build with a sniper.

when i started my project the Sniper was not an option.. If i had a running 2f, i would probably do a sniper. we are putting a sniper in Alan's FJ45 with a 2f.. Currently getting it running on a carb but wired it up for the sniper when i built the wiring harness.. A whole lot less wires with a sniper. siper with an in tank pump and hydramat in the tank for the pickup. I am not a fan of external pumps of any type.. they are loud and annoying and run hot. Check out alan's FJ45 thread in the 45 section.. We are currently trying to finish up his build with a sniper.
I’m not very proficient at looking up stuff on mud here. I went looking for Alan.’s 40th FJ 45 engine right up, but cannot find it. I think I’m gonna go with a sniper on my 3FE. Do you know what manifold I would use? Do you know anybody that has done it on a 3FE

search is in upper right corner, search term sniper
search by user wngrog
that will yield a bunch of results
Alan's thread here

as far as manifolds. two options come to mind knowing what i know about 2f engines.. The late 2f meaning the end of the production of 2f's in the FJ60's had the kerf for the fuel injector in the heads and used a stock carb manifold. I would imagine that any later 2f manifold should possibly cover that kerf and allow one to run a sniper on top. Or a 2f head on the 3fe engine is another option. you will need a later 2f head. I would try a late 2f manifold and gasket. an earlier one might work but i do not have anything in the garage to test my theory.

search is in upper right corner, search term sniper
search by user wngrog
that will yield a bunch of results
Alan's thread here

as far as manifolds. two options come to mind knowing what i know about 2f engines.. The late 2f meaning the end of the production of 2f's in the FJ60's had the kerf for the fuel injector in the heads and used a stock carb manifold. I would imagine that any later 2f manifold should possibly cover that kerf and allow one to run a sniper on top. Or a 2f head on the 3fe engine is another option. you will need a later 2f head. I would try a late 2f manifold and gasket. an earlier one might work but i do not have anything in the garage to test my theory.
Thanks. I also heard there might be an issue with the 3FE distributor. My guess would be the vacuum advance

there is no "vacuum advance" on a 3fe distributer. electronically controlled. There may be a way eventually to have the sniper adjust timing with the use of a 3fe distributer. but i'm not that smart yet. you might need to run a 2f distributer with the sniper unless you want to dive in and figure it out.

only need to change the manifold if it is a early 1 barrel 1f.. if it is a later 1f with the 2 barrel i believe one could just bolt on a snip with the correct adapter.
if it is a siamesed manifold on say a 1965 ish then sourcing a 2barrel siamesed manifold would probably be a better option. Call Cam up at Mosley motors and ask what he has or can make.

I don’t even know if my BJ73 has a intank pump. If it does, I have know idea how many pounds it pumps. I am recovering from shoulder surgery so it’s hard to get under the rig. I just got it a couple of months ago. How many PSI do I need to feed the 3FE?
Well, I have a BJ73 tank sitting on my floor waiting for me to put a pump in it for an LS swap. I will be digging into the project someday soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom