1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

33"s on stock FJ62?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by KnoxFJ62, May 19, 2003.

1. KnoxFJ62

KnoxFJ62

:dunno:Is it reasonable to put 33's on my cruiser with stock suspension? With the future intention of a lift of coarse. If so, do I have to change my gearing? I think I have 4:11. I have 31's now but after trail riding for the 1st time this weekend I want some bigger tires and some better clearance. So will 33's work or to much for stock set-up. Thanks

2. jzilla

jzilla

Not sure how 33's will fit without lift.
    I have 2.5 inch belton lift and they fit easily.
    As for 33's and 411's I guess it depends on what kind of offroading you are doing.
    I have 33's and stock gears and found it wasn't to bad but sometimes to get through stuff you would have to apply more throttle and end up going a little too fast. I just put in 5 spd in my 81BJ60 and since the 1st gear is quite a bit lower than 4 speed I don't think I'll ever have to get 411's. Again it depends on how serious an offroader you are.
    Hope this helps!

3. moralien

moralien

IMHO it's a little much. You can get them in there but they will stuff really quick. Assuming your 62 is still on the original springs they are probably a little tired. As for your gearing goes it's a slug. If you don't do anything to compensate for the larger tires then you will feel it. It's not a necessity but in the 3fe everything helps.

Don't become obsessed with clearance. It's better to do your lift first then get the appropriate tires. Besides it's probably better to learn what your truck can do in stock form then make the appropriate changes where you think it needs to be.

I know a lot of people (including me) that would have built their rigs completely different had they taken their time and just put a little more thought in it.

4. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I installed a 4" on my 40 and am still running 30% left 31." It doesn't look that bad, and that way when I put the 33"s on it won't rub and I can take it out and flex it all I want. AND, with 31's I can really flex out the springs to begin with just to break them in a little.

5. KnoxFJ62

KnoxFJ62

Thanks for the replies. The reason why Im asking about the tires is because I went to the GSMTR this weekend and barely made it through some of the "moderate" difficult trails with my stock 62 with 31"s and was very impressed with my truck but clearance was a BIG issue and Im now trying to decide if I should go with a lift first considering my tires are brand new. Someone suggested that I try and sell them and get 33"s, but of coarse the bigger tire on stock springs is an issue as well as it affecting the performance of the truck. Anyway, I got some rocker panel damage and smashed my tailpipe shut. This was the first time and went offroad and I have the fever now to make my truck more capable, maybe the lift should be first, afterall my tires were great on the trail. I guess the 31"s wouldnt look to shaby with a 2.5 or 3" lift? :beer: Thanks to Bryan and his dad for guiding me threw the tough spots, no way would I have made it without!!

6. Chef

Chef

You can do a 2" body lift now, and then add springs and tires as funds become available. I got a uhmwp lift from Roger Brown for ~150...You can run 33's no problem with this, and retain the nice flex the tired factory springs have...

7. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I'm currently running a 2.5" lift (I'm sure it has sagged a bit) and have 33 x 12.5 MT's that I recently put on. On some of the more difficult obstacles I went on this past weekend, I got quite a bit of rubbing in the fender. Even to the point that it would stop my forward progress.

I've got one of Roger Browns kit's on the shelf that need's to get put in. I know what I'm doing tomorrow :D

8. zuluzeugma

zuluzeugma SILVER Star

Media:
    tell me more about this body lift... how hard is it to install?

9. moralien

moralien