33" or 35' Tires?

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by knoll0351, Feb 12, 2008.

1. knoll0351

knoll0351

I really don't want to go with more than 3" of lift but am torn between 33's and 35's. I'd like to keep my rig street able, but also would like enough ground clearance for serious trails... Can the CV's Axles and such handle the 35's and how might either affect my warranty?
  2. tddfj

tddfj

personally i would stay with the 33 inch tire for weight reasons and possible rearend trouble later down the road. the diff erence i ground clearence isnt that great only 1 in diff in clearence between those size tires. as far as warrinty after a lift no need to worry about that any more according to most dealers that ive talked to.
  3. If you do have problems as a result of the bigger tires it will not be covered under warranty. They cannot deny you coverage simply because you have modifications. But, if they can show that the modification caused the problem, you are out of luck. I'm running 285/70/R17 ATs with the OME lift and I'm happy.
  4. Blues Dawg

Blues Dawg

I'm planning to move from 33's to 35's, but w/ the MT feel I will need to re-gear. I will also definitely need to trim the body mount bracket in the rear of the front wheel well for 35's. I'm doing this because I feel the larger tire will be a benefit in the wheeling I'm doing here in the rock laden desert...

That said, I've wheeled lots of tough trails and Moab w/ 285/70/17's and the help of my budbuilt skids (which now hit my exhaust x-over:rolleyes:)

Carl
  5. Stinkyfinger

Stinkyfinger

How about 34"
    I've been running them for a year now and never had a problem
    You do have to do the body mount chop to run anything bigger then a 33"
    It would run better with lower gears, but the motor has no problem turning them.
  6. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave SILVER Star

My .02
    Stay with 34" or smaller if you do any offroad hill climbing, rock crawling etc. I don't think the drive train will handle the added torque larger tires would put on it for the long term. I've got 34" LTBs on mine (part time only, 33" for daily driving) and that's as far as I would go. I'm likely to go back to 33" on my next set. I've got the OME suspension lift which gave me about 2-2.5 inches of added clearance. That's plenty for the type of wheeling I want to do.

And that is the real question. What type of wheeling are you planning on, how often and what terrain? You can make 35" tires fit, but I would not do any extreme wheeling with our axles and gearing.
  7. DEWFPO

DEWFPO

The stock 265's are 31.6 inches tall. Going to 33's (if they are truly 33" and not 32.6" tall) you will only gain 0.7" of additional ground clearance. Just thought I'd point that out.

DEWFPO
  8. DEWFPO

DEWFPO

Can you tell us the brand and size please?

Thanks DEWFPO
  9. Niner

Niner

Signature says 305/70/17 Maxis :D
  10. DEWFPO

DEWFPO

Thanks, I missed that. I should have looked.

DEWFPO