I finally got one, now will you guys let me play with you :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After years of watching you 40 guys have so much fun, I finally went out and got one for myself. :bounce:
I just picked it up Sunday, it's a 1970 FJ40 that was being used for mud racing. It's got a 350 chevy V8 bored .030 over, machined heads, reed cam and headers (sounds awesome) locked front and rear and has a 3" lift with 35" mudders. What's the most impressive thing about it is the guy only wanted $2500 :eek:. Even though this thing is 39 years old it is in amazing shape. It has been sitting for years so I need to fix a little rust and go through all the fluids but this thing also came with 8 boxes full of original parts and extra body panels. It even has the original soft top and doors that is in perfect condition.
Oh and I really like the color :D
Picture008.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats Chris. Looks like a nice looking rig.

I hope you didn't drive it too far. You were probably about at your max as far as towing capacity.

I towed a 40 home from NY with a fullsize trailer. Not something that I would have cared to repeat.

So what's the build plan? Will it see the street or is it destined to be a trailer queen? Seeing that rig makes me want to start working on mine as well, I just need to stop having so much fun with my junker Samurai.

That's a steal! nice grab!

at first i thought you grabbed an fzj80:flipoff2: great find man that is one sweet 40 you got there:cheers:

Congrats Chris. Looks like a nice looking rig.

I hope you didn't drive it too far. You were probably about at your max as far as towing capacity.

I towed a 40 home from NY with a fullsize trailer. Not something that I would have cared to repeat.
The FJc actually tows pretty good but yeah that was maxing me out, I noticed that when I had to climbing over a mountain.

at first i thought you grabbed an fzj80 great find man that is one sweet 40 you got there
An 80 will be next on the wish list :D

So what's the build plan? Will it see the street or is it destined to be a trailer queen? Seeing that rig makes me want to start working on mine as well, I just need to stop having so much fun with my junker Samurai.

It will be a trailer queen for most of the summer and hopefully by the end or early fall it will be register and street legal.
I'm just glad that I can finally stop beating the hell out of my FJ cruiser :)

Like yellow don't you!
Looks good!

Flip the bezel over and you'll double your money!

I knew you were looking for something 'older' but glad you stayed in the family. A few of your posts had me worried about going over to the _eep side. Enjoying your trip to PA? I am going down in July.

their both so cute!

Here's a little update to the progress.
I've been working on this thing straight out for almost 2 months and it should be ready very soon to go out and beat on it on the trails :bounce::bounce::bounce:

To date I've had to clean out and rebuild the clutch master and slave cylinders, clean out the brake lines and pull apart and rebuild all the brake wheel cylinders and replace some broken lines( I hate drum brakes so much :rolleyes:). I flushed the raditor, replaced the thermostat and replaced the electrical fan setup(wasn't working) and put back on the original steel fan...no more over heating now. I've relocated the battery and fuel tank, replace the holly carb with the original quadra jet. I did a spring over in the rear, I only used 2 of the 3 leaf springs per side to help soften it for more flex(these springs are insanely stiff). Cut off a lot of rust, sanded and paint almost all of it. I drained all the old fluids and oils and replaced them with new oil. I just modified the seat frame so I could install some new racing seats.
I need to mount the spare tire and Hi lift jack and then I can hit the trail. I will be doing the front spring over very soon along with some other things I want done to it but instead of having it sit in the garage all summer I'll do these things slowly so I can get a little wheeling in with it in between.

Here are some pics through the build

Picture033.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture029.jpg

IMGP0597.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture019-1.jpg

Picture011.jpg