2nd gen 4.56's in an '88 mini? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just helped a friend with an SAS 2nd gen 4runner and as such, I have some of the spare parts lying around. I was wondering if anyone had ever put the 4.56 gears out of these 4runners into an early mini truck. The 4runner front has the vacuum disconnect in the front, I was wondering if you could just separate the drivers side tube from the diff housing and bolt on the '88's tube? This would save the trouble of resetting up any gears. Of course, the rear is a drop in.

My '88 mini has Tacoma wheels and 32" tires, and I live in Colorado at 8,700 feet... my 5th gear is pretty useless. I just ordered a timing chain set from Engnbldr, so I want to yank the front diff to gain access to the oilpan, and do all the necessary work to get my little workhorse going another 160,000 miles. Figured I could get some better gearing on the cheap! :cheers:

The front diff should be a direct swap. You can disable the ADD thing by just applying some vacuum to one side of the dashpot to engage the sleeve, then leave it disconnected. Swapping the entire tube might work, not sure.

Rear diff is a direct bolt in, no issues. There might be a hole in the housing for the rear ABS sensor, you can get a plug from several places (looks like a small freeze plug), I think Marlin sells them.

Yeah both are a direct swap. I would use the tube off the driver's side of your front diff to eliminate the ADD on the 4Runner diff. Easy as that.

You can swap the drivers side axle tube and use the axle without the disconnect. I've done it.

You can swap the drivers side axle tube and use the axle without the disconnect. I've done it.

Ditto, just be sure you use the correct inner axle seal for the earlier left half or it'll drip gear oil. P#41304P

Thanks guys. good info. I was waiting on answers before I ordered new bearings for the rear diff. The set in 4runner 4.56 rear are shot, and I didn't want to spend the money on a master rebuild kit if the front wasn't going to work. Time to order some bearings and get to work. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom