1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2F replacing an F - lots of questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ridge157, Apr 22, 2003.

1. ridge157

ridge157

I am almost finished replacing my old tired F (1970) with a recently rebuilt 2F (1975), but have a few questions.

1) The gas pedal on my 1970 has a throttle cable which hooks right into the carb. However, on the 1975, it looks like the gas pedal is quite a bit different and it is hooked to the carb with a bunch of linkage deals that I do not have. Is there an easy way to hook the cable up, or do I need to order new linkages & pedal from a '75?

2)The 2F carb has a two gas lines, one in and one out, I am assuming an overflow or return?? &nbsp:Does the second line dump back into the gas tank? or can I plug it?

3)I am using the starter from the F, but it has a real hard time turning the engine over. It worked fine with the F, but does not seem to have enough power to turn the 2F. The battery is brand new. &nbsp:Do I need a newer starter?

4) What does the carb solenoid hook up to? (yeah, I know its a dumb question)

5) I will not be needing the emissions stuff on the 2F, is there a good reference out there that shows how to bypass it?

Thanks.

2. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

Just finishing up something similar, mines a '79 2F.
    1) I ended up using all the 2F linkage.
    2) mine had a return line from the fuel pump, I ran another line back to the tank
    3) starter could use a rebuild, old F could have had low compression, easy to turn over, or replace starter
    4) take the solenoid out and I cut the end off, then cut the wires, screw it back in
    5) I took everything off except the EGR, so as not to burn up the exhaust vavles. The air rail took 1/4"NPT brass plugs(use the ones with the recessed allen head) plug off all non-necessary vacumn lines.
    Good Luck

3. theferg

theferg

Media:
    1-4) what he said. (But one thing to note is that the starters on F engines are not the "gear reduction" starters that the 2Fs have, so it just may not be powerful enough. You can probably find a good used one for $25-50)
    5) Use this website for the de-smog if you get stuck. It's for a 2F in an '84 FJ60, but it should be similar to what you would have and may help you out a bit...
    http://mtnmantis.cruiserpages.com/desmog/

4. SpaceGhost

SpaceGhost

3) a late model gear reduction starter is money well spent, especially on a tight fresh rebuild.

4) Solenoid is hooked to switched 12vdc. Get it at the hot side of the ignition coil. Without it I don't see how it's gonna idle right. That sol shuts down the idle circuit when the key is turned off, elimates run on.