255/80R17: General Experiences? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems to be my annual 255/80 thread (second time now), but this time, not to any specific tire. I currently own a 2007 GX, 59K, with the following mods:

-Icon Stage I lift, switching to Icon Progressive springs this week (Icon 2" inch lift springs currently)
-4Runner 7in Wheels
-FJ Axle Swap (w elocker)
-no tow package (SSO lil hitch instead)
-Replaced steps with Heft Fab sliders
-Eezi Awn K9 Roof Rack with 2.2 Eezi Awn RTT
-255/75R17 Cooper ST Maxx
-ASFIR Skids

If you run 255/80s, can you share the brand, experience, where it rubs, and spare tire placement (bumper, squeezed it in, etc.)? My experience with ST Maxx has been impeccable, but I'm willing to check out a different brand if there is a consensus out there.

Appreciate the help. It's time to get some extra height on this thing!

58241786873__F87A48E5-120B-4853-A8B9-3E1B23815120.JPG

Last edited:
I had 255/80 ST Maxx with the same wheels you have. These measure 32.8" at 40 PSI, while other brands are listed at 33.05. 5100s with 2.5" front, and SSO rear conversion with all shims for rear. Spare didn't fit with that little rear lift and full OEM tow package. I cut the lower fender corners, and had liners pulled forward. Heat gunned and pushed with a stick the bottoms of the liners. No BMC, no steps modded.

I am really happy with mine. The traction off road are very good for such a mild thread pattern. I am running Toyo Open County II. They are 33.1" tall. I use 255/75R17 spare as any bigger it just won't fit with 2" lift.
IMG_20191206_154108__01__01__01.jpg

None at 2" lift, max caster and fender liner moved forward. With 0 offset wheel i still have about 10-15 mm clearance to body mount.

I tried at stock height bit and no rubbing. I never tried without running boards and fender liner already moved forward.

No lift and 255/80/17s running boards removed lots of plastic trimming and zip ties to hold it back. No BMC.
No rubbing. Also have FJ wheels. So +15mm offset instead of stock +25mm.

I have ST Maxx 255/80r17 on a 17x8 et -10 wheel. Move the front fender liner forward and move the caster forward. no BMC and you will only get slight rub on the body mount while at extreme angles with the wheel turned. Spare fits in the rear with the towing package, you just have to let the air out down to 5psi and push it up in there.

Spare fits in the rear with the towing package, you just have to let the air out down to 5psi and push it up in there.

what lift on the rear? The tire isn't touching the panhard?

Mine did rubbed the paint off but I got it up there. Now I have ordered the JW Offroad rear tire carrier to resolve this issue.

2" lift but i dont think the lift matters. Yes it rubs pan hard but i havent had any issues with it. About 20k+ miles on it now and a couple off-road trips.

I have Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17 on 4Runner rims with a 2.5-3” lift from MetalTech with RadFlo Shocks and Dobinson rear HD Springs, Demello front bumper and a MetalTech rear with spare tire carrier and I have zero rubbing. I really like this tire size and will stay with the tall and skinny

2" lift but i dont think the lift matters. Yes it rubs pan hard but i havent had any issues with it. About 20k+ miles on it now and a couple off-road trips.

I have read on here that the higher the rear lift, the more the axle moves forward, allowing for larger diameter tires.

Yeah, it's the radius of the axle. As you go up, the tires droop down (and the trailing arms get effectively shorter). BUT! When you flex it offroad? Here it comes!

BFG KM2's - not wearing well, having imbalance problems and rotation has only heightened the "wobble" (freeway speeds). I have ~15K miles on them and DO like how they perform when offroad and in mud (there's a lot of clay in areas I frequently visit).

Rubs only when in reverse and turning to the passenger side - not a problem, can be fixed with a hot air gun - I simply haven't gotten around to it.

Stock spare location - deflated slightly and had to use a floor jack to squeeze her up there (tight to the panhard) - onboard air present but I will likely go with an alternate spare tire mount at some point.

I ran KM2's on my 80 years ago (not "skinnies" like my current 255/80's here on the GX) and they never gave me any problems.

I wouldn't mind getting spacers just to push the wheels out a wee-bit (not entirely related to the core topic here).

Install of SPC uppers, lca (oem), icon progressives, and 255/80s on Tuesday. Will report back afterwards for others giving this size a thought. Thanks to all for the insight!

I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 255 85 r17's on stock rims. Spare fits in the stock location, if aired down, and it will rub on the panhard rod, but it fits. It looks cool, but it's not practical IMO. With stock gearing it's tough to get into 5th very much in the hills, particularly pulling any type of trailer. So performance suffers, mileage suffers, acceleration is slower and stopping distance is longer, just more strain on the truck for not much more clearance. It rubs the front frame, grinds some plastic when stuffed, I have a few zip ties holding the remaining bits back... but it looks cool.

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

@nakman looks very nice with that front bumper!

Update: Glad I made the move. Really glad. Gained about 2.5 inches in height (no more head hitting upon entry and better clearance overall, and this is also due to prog springs and adjusting front shocks), WAY smoother ride (new upper and lower arms were the key here, as lowers were rusted tight/ ineffective alignments), and I don’t notice the E rated over the Cs with the l/uca upgrade. Tad tighter feel, but that’s it. Only wheel rub is in reverse at left lock (fender mod is next), and no rubbing in Drive at full lock. In a couple of weeks, I ll be selling my low mileage 255/75s, as I can’t really justify keeping them for summer use anymore (same tread pattern). VERY appreciative of everyone’s feedback! Pics to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom