22R Engine failure: coolant in oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Biggest hurdle to carb-kind is the fact that carburetors are of a dying breed.

By that line of thinking you should get a newer truck cuz yer old one will be obsolete. Jk!:D

Bottom line, Canyon:
Get her running as-is, don't worry about EFI until you've had a few thousand more miles on that rig.
That's one of those maneuvers that kills a truck - getting the notion it needs to be torn down before you've gotten to know it.

Thank you chucky, thats a nicer way to say what I meant.

I get so tired of folks getting a good rig and then starting on a lifelong build to make the internet happy. Then they sell the rig in parts after they give up and get a new hobby.

The OP has tryed his hand at a few toyota truck so far and I would like to see him enjoy this one and have a good time learning about it.

Dont build a truck for the internet, build a truck for yourself and share it with the internet.

Sorry if my PR skills are not so good.:)

rooskey-albums-81-toyota-pics-picture17402-toyota-pics.jpg

Here is my short box chop shop

rooskey-albums-81-toyota-pics-picture17402-toyota-pics.jpg

Here is my short box chop shop

JEALOUS!!

Man that is my dream truck except for two things.

I want round headlights (thats just me).

And the color is perfect except its missing the two tone red/clay color.

Wanna trade for a white perfect 88 runner that is mint?:popcorn:

I miss my ol 83. PS it was carbed too!!

USB Pics 1920.jpg

This one is actually a 1981 model. I had a parts truck and swapped out the headlights and such. My first car I ever had was an 83 so i am partial to the square lights. Yea the two tone is cool. A guy at my church use to have one with the red lower section.

Whoa friends... The fact that I have received so many replies to this post in just a couple of days is why I _love_ this forum. I have respect for all the varied viewpoints expressed here... and it is great that there are multiple perspectives in play...

But please, let's not take any of this personally. I'm probably the least skilled out of everyone here, which is why I come here for advice and opinions... and eventually/slowly I'll make some things happen. This is a great community because people have such strong feelings for their rigs and how to maintain/build them... to me, everyone who puts their own two hands to work on a truck in any way shape or form is doing something worth while. Carb vs. EFI, wheeler vs. DD, it doesn't really matter... we take old things and make them work again... and when people notice it inspires them to get out and take on a project too. We all bring something good to the table when we share our experiences... let's leave it up to the reader to make their own decisions rather that getting all up on each other.

I'm just a peace-loving dirty hippy at heart (now there is a way to start some friction around here, for sure!).

Thanks for all the posts,
canyon

Last edited:
I agree 100% with ya canyon62. In another ten years there want be anyone appreciating these first gen pickups anymore. Its all about the new stuff. I bet mine will be there though! LOL!! Not For Sale (and I do have a factory steel bed). I would try to keep your pickup as close to stock as possible. Keep the carb and get her running. Awsome truck!!

It almost seems like us first-gen nuts have our own niche within the greater strata of Toyota owners.
I love my Mule, carb, quirks, and all. I never once enjoyed driving until I bought my truck.

I had the coolant in my oil on my new to me 89 4runner and it ended up being the blown head gasket and warped head. My timing cover wasn't worn through, but I could see where/how easy it would be to wear through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom