2023 (brand new) 4runner gas pedal vibration when turning wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All - I have an issue that the dealer can't figure out on a brand new 2023 4Runner (<2k miles).

There is an intermittent gas pedal vibration/sensation when moving the steering wheel (even the slightest). The problem is that this issue comes and goes and the dealer is having trouble replicating it. Some clues that might be helpful:
  1. I believe I started feeling this issue when the truck hit around 1k miles, but can't say for sure as I was still getting used to it.
  2. The issue is intermittent - I've noticed it appears after driving for a bit (maybe 20 mins), but goes away on an overnight cold start. Does not go away just by turning the engine on/off.
  3. If the issue is present, I can feel the gas pedal vibration even after the car is off and I'm just jiggling the steering wheel. It sounds like a rubber seal/grommet is rubbing somewhere.
  4. Nothing immediately stands out as loose.
  5. Dealer is having a hard time replicating the issue (presumably because it needs to be driven for a bit before the problem comes back), so they are not able to "fix" it or find out what is causing this vibration.
Could this be a steering rack issue? Does something need to be greased? Something else entirely? Anyone else felt this before on their 5th gen 4Runner?

Thanks for the help!

there's really no interface other than the firewall. the pedal is dbw. its likely the steering shsft bushing through the firewall.

Are there any mods on the vehicle, especially the upper control arm?

One of the best things you can do for anyone testing is narrow down the symptoms.
1. Take off your shoe and see if you feel the vibration in the floor.
2. You said it will do it with the vehicle off. Can you turn either direction about 1 full turn, move the wheel there and duplicate it. Or is it only near center.
3. if you can hear it, see if someone else can hear it outside. This includes crawling under the vehicle.
4. If they can hear it outside. Use a length of hose as a stethoscope to pinpoint the area. I use 5/8 heater hose against my ear.
5. does it matter what your parked on. Concrete, gravel, asphalt.
6. you said it will do it with engine off. will it do it with key off? Your rack is electric. If it does it key on and not key off, its most likely a rack.

I doubt its the column itself. You would be able to hear that but not feel it with your feet.

Things that happen when you steer.
1. obviously the rack moves
2. Column bushing at fire wall. Probably wont feel that
3 Tie rod ends
4. Ball Joints.
5. Vehicle rocks back and forth slightly.

I always hated intermittent noise diagnostics. Toyota is very good about helping their customers but, if they "guess" and make a repair, they better be correct. Once they do that, two more times in and the car can be bought back. If they cant resolve it, I would make a call to Toyota corperate and see if you can start a case on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom