2020 Grom VLine Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you disconnected your phone from your factory handsfree calling? Not just in the phone but in the factory head unit as well? That solved all my issues with hands free calling and "hey Siri" commands.
Yes sir, I deleted all phones from the factory BT and no luck. I’ll unplug/replug tomorrow to see if that does the trick. Thank you!

I had a blank screen after updating immediately upon my initial unit install. Grom sent a patch and it was working GREAT until...... I decided to upgrade to wireless carplay. Too many buttons pushes going in and out of CarPlay and the other selections in Grom. Screen went blank a few times and the unit just shut off a couple times. Numerous emails to get the pre wireless CarPlay from Grom proved unsuccessful. They would not send the file to downgrade to the pre-wireless load. I was able to restore to factory settings(with wireless CarPlay) wiping all the stored data I had entered and start over. Seems ok but I’ve not been using it much the last couple weeks. The extra screens and settings menu when using CarPlay seems a step back to be.
The fact they would not send me the the previous load is poor service imo. So unless you’re really want wireless CarPlay I would advise to NOT go upgrade and stick to wired CarPlay.

Has anyone been successful in figuring out if it's possible to run the radio and GROM at the same time? There are times I'd like to have the radio on and also have an App from CARPLAY up.

Anyone using a bluetooth OBDII app with grom ?

I've had Torque Pro up and running on it, and it seemed to work just fine, but I prefer a (physical) ScanGauge, because it matches the other two vehicles in my driveway.

Every time I get in the truck, I have to manually pair the phone. Somewhere in one of the many settings menus, there's a setting for automatically pairing. At one point, I had it set to just that - to pair automatically. But... A: It's not pairing automatically now... and B: I can NOT find that setting! Anyone know where this is?

Every time I get in the truck, I have to manually pair the phone. Somewhere in one of the many settings menus, there's a setting for automatically pairing. At one point, I had it set to just that - to pair automatically. But... A: It's not pairing automatically now... and B: I can NOT find that setting! Anyone know where this is?

are you talking about carplay

FD9EEC6F-C532-4DB1-956B-E1EF178D278D.jpeg

Finally found that button yesterday. I think I was looking too hard - it's right there!

Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 5.39.49 PM.png

The funny part... I'd been going back and forth with Grom tech support on the topic. All I was asking about was that button. The guy had me checking for updates - software and firmware; verifying that the date and time settings were correct... He literally never said where it was. I just kinda noticed it yesterday.

Just installed unit. Performed both the firmware and software updates. When I connect via wired the carplay disconnects intermittently and also when the iphone locks. I tried via wirelesss - I get through all the setup steps and paired the phone, but the grom interface is telling me that it is waiting on the carplay UI and it never connects. Thoughts?

UPDATE: Nevermind, it sat overnight, got in this morning and it connected automatically - sweet! Maybe just needed to rest.

Last edited:
Just installed unit. Performed both the firmware and software updates. When I connect via wired the carplay disconnects intermittently and also when the iphone locks. I tried via wirelesss - I get through all the setup steps and paired the phone, but the grom interface is telling me that it is waiting on the carplay UI and it never connects. Thoughts?

UPDATE: Nevermind, it sat overnight, got in this morning and it connected automatically - sweet! Maybe just needed to rest.

I had a similar issue where wireless carplay wouldn't connect and it was solved after I updated the system

I know this thread’s been inactive for a while but I’m hoping some of you are still following it. Have had a vline in my 100 series for a while and have a terrible hum/buzzing noise frequently when I run it. I thought it might be a ground loop issue with the amp, but I get no noise if I play the radio or CD player without the grom on. anyone else experience this and if so, how did you resolve it?

I'm still futzing with it. ...although I don't know why. I really need to rip it out and go back to the BT45-TOY. The Grom is garbage.

JMHO.

The vLine v2 is an absolutely horrendous waste of my money. Unfortunately, due to the NAV & climate controls built into my display, I couldn’t get other head unit installed. I should have just gone the NAV delete router instead.

I’ve done the factory reset about 20+ times, and is firmware updated till as of last week. Yet, the CarPlay is still flaky. I’ve got a ticket open with their CS. Only thing that has worked always is the BT audio streaming. But that also depends on whether it can maintain the BT connection with my iPhone for longer than 6-7 minutes.

I was having issues with the wireless connection, so I disabled it, deleted the profiles, and went back to a cable connection. Occasionally and only during start up I’ll need to remove and reinsert the phone plug but that’s rare. Works good for what it is.

Mine works well most of the time, but the interference is fairly frequent. Agree it’s not perfect in terms of reliability, but having CarPlay is worth it for me. Any issues with buzzing or engine interference (e.g., sometimes I can hear the acceleration in the static), which leads me to think it’s a ground issue. Do any of you run ground loop isolators on your setups?

Only issue I’m having is the occasional black/green screen. But pressing FM the Audio clears it up instantly.

lovin the wireless CarPlay

I’m also finding, overall, the vline2 is great. Still not happy with the CarPlay phone calls. I sound quiet/distant to callers. But if I crank up the mic gain, it gets distorted. Any find the right gain and/or try a new mic??

Has anyone been successful in figuring out if it's possible to run the radio and GROM at the same time? There are times I'd like to have the radio on and also have an App from CARPLAY up.

6 months late to the party, but this isn't possible in my 2003 with the VL2.

I’m also finding, overall, the vline2 is great. Still not happy with the CarPlay phone calls. I sound quiet/distant to callers. But if I crank up the mic gain, it gets distorted. Any find the right gain and/or try a new mic??

It's not obvious anywhere on the phone, but each separate task on the phone (phone, music, etc.) has its own set of volume controls. When on a call (have to have that task active), use the volume buttons on the phone to bring up the levels.

It isn't perfect, and still won't get you the same volume as music, but it helps.

"Hey Siri, speak louder" also helps to sort of equalize Siri commands with music volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom