2010 Tacoma, 2.7L vs 4.0L (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 2003 3.4 Taco. :steer: It's nice but I would take a 2.7 for better mileage no problemo. Everything is too overpowered these days (in my opinion of course.....). The 4 banger tacos have plenty of power. It's not the 90 horsepower 22R :wrench::bang: anymore....

I dont think anyone would question that the 2.7 has enough i.e. sufficient power to go from a to z.

The issue, as I mentioned earlier, is really the model and what CAN come in the model. I would have purchsed a 2.7 DC in a heart beat BUT I could not as it is not an option.

As far as pulling, 6500 is really a matter of frame/brake consideration not power in my opinion. Towing ratings are not just about power.

Either way, I would not hesitate to pull a 40 with my v6 Tacoma. It has plenty of power.

If you want more, supercharge it..although I think that would be overkill.

Tacoma 2.7

My last truck in US was a FZJ80 (1996) with a 4.5 (24-Valve), now I have a Tacoma 2.7 and I love it!... The only thing, no solid axle!... :crybaby:

The FZJ80 with 35" or 36" do 175 miles a tank.
The Tacoma with 255/85R16 (33.3")... 350 miles a tank.
My Wife's FJ Cruiser with 255/75R17 (32.0")... 250 miles a tank.
FZJ80-3.JPG
Tacoma FOR SALE! (1).jpg

You know all this talk about the 2.7 and I recently got my 96 out of the garage and started driving it again instead of the 3.4L.. Holy yes it seems more like a wind up little engine but running around town I can certainly see a difference in the gas mileage.. something nice about the quieter 4cylinder over the roar of the V6 as well.
We are trying to plan out holidays this summer and thinking about a little camping and hiking in the Grand Teton National Park

At any rate this little engine is nice to drive!
Any decision as of yet.

I've got a small update

I've test driven both the 4 and 6, and the odd thing is in 4-Low the gearing in the V6 version (was TRD Off-Road) felt a lot lower. I've driven a lot of 4wd Toyota Pickup/Tacos and the 4cyl version did not seem to be geared as low as all the others.

I've decided I am going to go with at least a V6. The reason for this is I do need to be able to pull a 2k lb+ trailer in the mountains to get firewood, and when passing someone on Idaho mountain roads, you need the extra kick to get around them safely.

That said, I'm still not sold on the new Tacoma and the V6 in general. I've test driven the new 4Runner with the V6 (very impressed by the way) but even with the auto tranny it felt lacking in the low range torque area.

The way I see it, I have four options at this point. I can go with a new TRD Tacoma, a slightly used V8 4Runner (that V8 is a damn good engine, my father has a '00 Tundra), a new FJ Cruiser (not totally sold on them) or wait for the Mahindra diesels. All four of those vehicles will put me just under the $30k mark, a new 4Runner, while very, very nice, costs a base invoice price of almost $34k for the Trail Edition, which is basically like the TRD Off Road for Tacoma)

Thought you might see this, i am in no way associated with it... if i had the money or need for a new one, id be all over it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...1-modified-07-toyota-tacoma-sr5-18-000-a.html

:cheers:

Thank you, I did see that but its a bit far away :p

I need got test drive the 2.7L again, I've decided. I didn't take it on the highway or a place where I can test how it accelerates at highway speeds. The more I think about it, I think 3500 lbs of towing capability should be enough. I just can't get over how inefficient the 4.0L is when it comes to low range torque.

I'll also take another go at the 4-Low, it may not actually be any lower than the V6 and other Toyota's I've driven, perhaps I just wasn't paying that much attention.

I do know that the V6 has a 3.88 gearing and the 2.7L has 4.10 gears; as much as I'm ashamed to admit it, I don't know which is lower... I've never dealt with differential gearing :bang: Aren't 4.10's lower?

Not sure if it's already been said, but once you start modding (bigger tires, bumpers, etc.), the MPG gap between the I4 and V6 start closing real fast. Same if you start pulling a trailer. For me, after having had a ton of seat time behind the I4, 3.4L V6 and 4.0L V6, I'd go with a V6 every time. The 2MPG difference is not worth the lower torque, less power. And since you said you'll be towing frequently, I'd even go as far as to say get a V8 (Tundra/4Runner).

Not sure if it's already been said, but once you start modding (bigger tires, bumpers, etc.), the MPG gap between the I4 and V6 start closing real fast. Same if you start pulling a trailer. For me, after having had a ton of seat time behind the I4, 3.4L V6 and 4.0L V6, I'd go with a V6 every time. The 2MPG difference is not worth the lower torque, less power. And since you said you'll be towing frequently, I'd even go as far as to say get a V8 (Tundra/4Runner).

I'm actually not going to be towing very much at all. If I do need to, my gf has a 2003 4wd Taco with the V6, and my father has a 2000 4wd Tundra that I'll be getting when he gets a new vehicle in the future. I have access to either.
I'm also going to keep my truck mostly stock. I drove the 4cyl yesterday and was really impressed - the 4 low is wicked strong, it is just as low if not lower than the V6 4 low, and in town it feels just like I'm driving my gf's 3.4L. On the highway it was a bit lacking, but the more I think about how I drive, even on the mountain roads, I realize I don't need to be able to accelerate quickly.

I'll most likely be buying a 4-cyl Taco tomorrow.

I'm actually not going to be towing very much at all. If I do need to, my gf has a 2003 4wd Taco with the V6, and my father has a 2000 4wd Tundra that I'll be getting when he gets a new vehicle in the future. I have access to either.
I'm also going to keep my truck mostly stock. I drove the 4cyl yesterday and was really impressed - the 4 low is wicked strong, it is just as low if not lower than the V6 4 low, and in town it feels just like I'm driving my gf's 3.4L. On the highway it was a bit lacking, but the more I think about how I drive, even on the mountain roads, I realize I don't need to be able to accelerate quickly.

I'll most likely be buying a 4-cyl Taco tomorrow.

do yourself a favor. go to truecar.com and get your pricing that way. I locked in pricing on a '10 tacoma double longbed v6 auto TRD at $800 below invoice ( 28,842) with 2.9% financing over 60 months.

go w/the v6. i have an 07 dbbl cab and 6spd manual as my dd, and in that configuration it has 6500lb tow rating. it pulls a 2500lb tent trailer likr no ones bussn.

I decided the 4 cylinder was the best option. I got it last monday and have been LOVING it.

I'll post up a write up tomorrow to give my insight as to why I (very happily) chose the 4 cyl.

The rear e locker is not available on the 4 banger

One more reason we need the 2010 70 series in america

I'd personally go with the 2.7L. I had an '07 V6 Tacoma and now an FJC with the same 6 cylinder engine. If I got another Tacoma it would definitely be the 4 cylinder. I test drove the 2.7 and didn't think that it was short on power or torque. After all it's going to be used as for trails and camping, not a race truck. The only real difference I noticed between the two was that the 2.7 seemed to have less sound insulation versus the 4.0. Last I knew, the 4.0s had a 3.73 diff and the 2.7s have a 4.10 diff. If you're concerned about gas mileage, go with the 2.7, and either way you'll be ending up with a great truck.

X2

I have the TACOMA 2.7 with 4.10 and a FJ Cruiser...

Actually, my Tacoma is for sale right now (buying a house):

Cars for Sale: 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Regular Cab in WESTON, FL 33327: Truck Details - 269570452 - AutoTrader.com

the 4.0 is just such a nice engine. iv owned a few , in a few different trucks. currently in my wife's 4runner. not sure about the 2.7

Sorry for my extremely late response. I've been putting a lot of miles on my truck and am loving it. I've got about 3500 miles on it now, and excluding a tank where I did a few hours of wheeling, I've never gotten less than 21 MPG (20.5 MPG on the extended wheeling tank). Driving from Boise to Moscow (300 miles through mountains, up Whitebird, etc) I get 24 MPG. I've not had a tank that was mostly flat highway, but I don't think 27 MPG is unreasonable.

The power has been plenty. In town driving I typically shift at 2200-2500 RPM, and on the highway once you hit 3000 RPM you have a lot of power. It won't win any races, but why the hell would you race a Tacoma? For wheeling it has more than enough power; you have a transfer case.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the engine and truck.

As far as other engines go, I'd say the three best current/recently available Toyota engines for trucks would be the 2.7L if you don't need to tow, the 4.7L if you want more power, and if you want a V6 Taco, go with an older 3.4L. My girlfriend has a 2003, 4wd manual trans Taco with the 3.4, and I'm very impressed with the engine. Lots of low end power, RPMs stay low, and much better mileage than the 4.0.

I'm sure I left something out, but hopefully this is helpful!

Good thread, I have been reading it for a few months.
I went the other way with my choice (v6) as I want to be able to tow the fj40 and some dirt bikes. Just got 80 miles on it today so no numbers, just smiles.

tacoma_front.jpg

tacoma_side.jpg

I had to wait a month to get the dark gray, crew cab, long bed with 4x4. :D Seems most here in the southern area of California get the pre-runners, or short beds for better off roading. I have my 40 to off road with, so I wanted to be able to get to camp grounds / through snow with the 4x4 / pull boat off the ramp, etc. pretty stoked. It's my first vehicle that is not older then me.

As far as towing concerns it seems to me that if you get a trailer with brakes towing the fj40 should be fine. This thread over here has some good towing pictures. Some look a bit scary what people are towing but it gives one a good idea of what these things can do. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/27460-show-us-what-you-tow-11.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom