2008 JDM 200 Series - Questions & Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone!

Moved to a part of Canada where overlanding and offroading seem like good ideas (Vancouver Island). Sold off the Audi S4 as it's been an unreliable nightmare and moving into a 2008 AX-G JDM 200 series. It's a pearl white 4.5 auction score UZJ200W with 80k kilometers. Unfortuately it's got some tacky JDM attachments that I'll need to get rid of. Currently the cruiser is still in Japan waiting for placement on a ship but I'm trying to get some parts ready so I can hit the ground running when it arrives. I've planned a budget-friendly build that I've listed below and I have a few questions on modifications/changes that some international forum members might have some insight on. I'll also try to keep this thread updated as I go as a reference for future importers. Don't think there's much on the topic for 200 series.

Pictures:
NV2023002161_8.jpg
NV2023002161_3.jpg
NV2023002161_2.jpg

NV2023002161_14.jpg

Questions:
1. There's what looks to be a tacky 'chin' trim piece on both the front and rear bumpers that covers the front recovery points and reduces ground clearance by 2-3 inches. Upon closer inspection it seems like a piece attached onto the normal NA bumper. I've got a picture of the backside of the JDM bumper as well, and it looks added-on. Does anyone have any experience in removing just the chin piece of the bumper? This is what the bottom looks like, you can see the normal bumper hiding beneath.
1699042272722.png

2. With that in mind, will I need new mudflaps on the front or back?

3. There's tacky silver 'eyebrows' over the front headlights, an inaccurate ZX decal on the back, and what appears to be chrome aftermarket roof rails and handles. Looking to remove, assuming heatgun and floss work?

4. Will be getting rid of the integrated running boards on the sides and replacing just with the normal trim pieces with no running boards.

5. I don't think there's bluetooth music, an USB port or an aux port. Assuming my bluetooth media options are a replacement head unit or FM transmitter?

6. Anyone know if the JDM models come with a daytime running light switch/toggle, or will I need to get this wired in?

7. No tow hitch for the JDM models, any aftermarket options that don't decrease ground clearance, or points I can use to pull someone out of mud?

8. Anything else I should be aware of for an import?

Planned Build:
Goal is mostly a daily driver (until I get a beater Nissan leaf) and taking it on snowboarding, car camping, hiking, mushroom picking, spearfishing and mild overlanding trips etc. We're planning on sleeping in the back with a medium sized dog and the most challenging terrain we're looking at is a logging road.

Exterior/Mechanical:

Wheels - Tundra TRD Pro 18" - Purchased

Tires - 285/65/18 Whatever I can find on marketplace, will try for a 5 wheel rotation.

Suspension - OME nitro charger or dobinsons (0.5-1.5 inches in back, 2-2.5 in front)

Storage - Roof cross bars and large roof box for ski gear

Need one new stock tow point for the front, JDM cars apparently one came with one..

Dechrome the tacky added-on bits

Modify front/rear bumpers and replace side trim/running boards.

Will be doing as many applicable parts of this list as well: Baseline Checklist for "New to Me" LX570/LC200 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/baseline-checklist-for-new-to-me-lx570-lc200.1279177/

Interior:

Plastic floor mats - Ordered a RHD set from aliexpress

Bluetooth audio - Likely FM transmitter or potential head unit replacement?

Blinds for windows/insulation (reflectix or aliexpress window coverings with reflectix glued on)

Sleeping setup - trifold futon (anyone know the right size?)

Some sort of blinds/curtain setup betwen 1st and 2nd rows for sleeping.

Some sort of power bank solution.

The eyebrows likely kept UV damage on the top of the lights at bay, so... maybe not such a bad thing. They are probably just attached with 3m VHB or similar.. I'd try heat before attacking it with one of the cable trim removers, just to avoid all possibility of damaging the lens.

If you pull the body kit off expect to have to repair plenty of spots that it rubbed through the paint on the factory bumpers. Depending on how the brows were attached that may be a thing on the headlight lenses too.

If you plan to run sliders you can probably just trim the rockers like LX owners do.

You'd need to pull the rear bumper and see what is under it on the rear crossmember. It likely has the 4-bolt pattern that can add a pintle hitch.. someone posted about this recently. But yes US-market (at least, not sure about canada) 200s have a hitch receiver cut and welded in to the rear crossmember from the factory. It would be a ton of work to do this to yours. E&E offroad does make a recovery point that bolts in to the factory tow loop spot on the right side.. but IMO a pintle would be much stronger and there is benefit to it being in the center.

Looks nice! I was excited when I saw JDM 200 and thought you bought a VDJ201! Why did you opt for the gasser in lieu of the VDFTV diesel?

I would try to remove that spoiler
Was debating it - ultimately, it doesn't affect ground clearance and makes the rear bumper look a bit less protruding.. Also I think it's one of the few things that I'm keeping that shows that it's JDM after the modifications
The eyebrows likely kept UV damage on the top of the lights at bay, so... maybe not such a bad thing. They are probably just attached with 3m VHB or similar.. I'd try heat before attacking it with one of the cable trim removers, just to avoid all possibility of damaging the lens.

If you pull the body kit off expect to have to repair plenty of spots that it rubbed through the paint on the factory bumpers. Depending on how the brows were attached that may be a thing on the headlight lenses too.

If you plan to run sliders you can probably just trim the rockers like LX owners do.

You'd need to pull the rear bumper and see what is under it on the rear crossmember. It likely has the 4-bolt pattern that can add a pintle hitch.. someone posted about this recently. But yes US-market (at least, not sure about canada) 200s have a hitch receiver cut and welded in to the rear crossmember from the factory. It would be a ton of work to do this to yours. E&E offroad does make a recovery point that bolts in to the factory tow loop spot on the right side.. but IMO a pintle would be much stronger and there is benefit to it being in the center.
Appreciate the insight here - I'm fine with some scuffed bits on the front/rear bumpers, they're likely getting scratched when we take it offroading anyways. Just want to restore the approach/departure angles to factory (also the front recovery points are underneath the body kit.
Looks nice! I was excited when I saw JDM 200 and thought you bought a VDJ201! Why did you opt for the gasser in lieu of the VDFTV diesel?
I think they released a 4.5l diesel 200 series in asia but none of the auctions ever showed any - not sure if there we actually any in the japanese domestic market. Otherwise a late 100 series with a diesel was an option but I wanted a more creature comforts/technology. Originally we were planning on making the cruiser our commuter as well and I heard short trips/commutes aren't great for diesels.

Also ordered a UZJ200W from Japan recently. I'm thinking about replacing the front bumper and adding a tow hitch. I hope mine doesn't take as long to get onto a container ship:confused: Curious which importer/exporter did you use?

Also ordered a UZJ200W from Japan recently. I'm thinking about replacing the front bumper and adding a tow hitch. I hope mine doesn't take as long to get onto a container ship:confused: Curious which importer/exporter did you use?
I went with Bijinauto out of Calgary - really professional service and reasonable prices. I went with another easily google-able importer initially but they were super unresponsive and I missed out on a few auctions because of it. Luckily they refunded me.

When did you win your auction? I just got confirmation of a berth on a container ship a few days ago, was waiting nearly 13 weeks. Hopefully I can get the thing by Christmas this year.

What bumper replacement are you thinking of? What do you plan on using the truck for?

Uh fancy. Will he also have this very special mirror on mounted to the fender?

I went with Bijinauto out of Calgary - really professional service and reasonable prices. I went with another easily google-able importer initially but they were super unresponsive and I missed out on a few auctions because of it. Luckily they refunded me.

When did you win your auction? I just got confirmation of a berth on a container ship a few days ago, was waiting nearly 13 weeks. Hopefully I can get the thing by Christmas this year.

What bumper replacement are you thinking of? What do you plan on using the truck for?

I believe I know which Calgary easily google-able you're referring to. I ended up choosing them as well. Their communication can be a bit inconsistent. At times, they respond within minutes, but other times, messages seem to go unnoticed. I don't think it's intentional though.

Mine has almost identical specs as yours, 4.5 AX-G LC200 with 81,000km on the odometer. I think it's a dealer unit though, so I didn't have to participate in any bidding. I placed my order two weeks ago, and it's currently in the pending inspection phase before being loaded onto a ship. If everything goes according to plan, I anticipate it will arrive in Vancouver around February of next year.

I haven't given much thought to which bumper to select yet. However, I'm not particularly fond of the JDM bumper that resembles an air dam. Since Ontario doesn't have much rough terrain, I believe the front bumper should suffice for now. My primary intention is to use it as a winter vehicle for ski trips. Additionally, it serves as a backup vehicle for my old Honda Crosstour during the summer. I'm planning to relocate to North Vancouver toward the end of next year, and I'll likely use a trailer to transport all of our stuff. So adding a tow hitch is a priority for me. Once I'm on the West Coast, I'll have more opportunities to utilize the truck's capabilities. It's probably better to decide how aggressive a bumper & skid plate I need after doing a bit of off-roading in BC.

The only things I'm sure I'll get would be a set of good AT tires that are good in snow and an aftermarket head unit with Carplay from AliExpress/Taobao.

Uh fancy. Will he also have this very special mirror on mounted to the fender?
It doesn't seem like OP's truck has a fender mirror. Most JDM units I looked at do have it though. I think I'll keep mine installed. The fuel efficiency is already quite poor, and I doubt the small mirror would have a significant impact on it.

I believe I know which Calgary easily google-able you're referring to. I ended up choosing them as well. Their communication can be a bit inconsistent. At times, they respond within minutes, but other times, messages seem to go unnoticed. I don't think it's intentional though.

Mine has almost identical specs as yours, 4.5 AX-G LC200 with 81,000km on the odometer. I think it's a dealer unit though, so I didn't have to participate in any bidding. I placed my order two weeks ago, and it's currently in the pending inspection phase before being loaded onto a ship. If everything goes according to plan, I anticipate it will arrive in Vancouver around February of next year.

I haven't given much thought to which bumper to select yet. However, I'm not particularly fond of the JDM bumper that resembles an air dam. Since Ontario doesn't have much rough terrain, I believe the front bumper should suffice for now. My primary intention is to use it as a winter vehicle for ski trips. Additionally, it serves as a backup vehicle for my old Honda Crosstour during the summer. I'm planning to relocate to North Vancouver toward the end of next year, and I'll likely use a trailer to transport all of our stuff. So adding a tow hitch is a priority for me. Once I'm on the West Coast, I'll have more opportunities to utilize the truck's capabilities. It's probably better to decide how aggressive a bumper & skid plate I need after doing a bit of off-roading in BC.

The only things I'm sure I'll get would be a set of good AT tires that are good in snow and an aftermarket head unit with Carplay from AliExpress/Taobao.

It doesn't seem like OP's truck has a fender mirror. Most JDM units I looked at do have it though. I think I'll keep mine installed. The fuel efficiency is already quite poor, and I doubt the small mirror would have a significant impact on it.
I also don’t think he will change something big on the fuel efficiency.
If the gasoline engline acts like my diesel there shouldn’t anything affect it rly much.
I can go five days a week to work with normal speeds around 40-50miles max, I can drive alpine passes the whole day hardly up and down, can have the car fully packed, things on my roof rack etc but the 200 doesn’t care. He stays at an average of 13,1-13,4l/100km (think 18-17,5mpg) - calculated by odometer and bill of the pump station - the only thing that is pushing the consumption till infinity is going to 90-100miles or faster. But yeah, that's the speed you need to be able to drive normally on the highway here in Germany.

I'll keep you in the loop about the bumper - I'm planning on taking off the bottom lip and it should be exactly the same as the global models. Might be able to save some money here. I'm on the same boat re: the other modifications, just got a set of falken wildpeaks in 285/65/18, still gotta convince the wife that 2500 on a lift kit is a reasonable 'investment'...

There's not much info on the front side mirrors but my theory is that they're there only on the cars without the front and side cameras to help with parking etc..

I'm based out of Victoria - let me know if you're ever on the island!

I also don’t think he will change something big on the fuel efficiency.
If the gasoline engline acts like my diesel there shouldn’t anything affect it rly much.
I can go five days a week to work with normal speeds around 40-50miles max, I can drive alpine passes the whole day hardly up and down, can have the car fully packed, things on my roof rack etc but the 200 doesn’t care. He stays at an average of 13,1-13,4l/100km (think 18-17,5mpg) - calculated by odometer and bill of the pump station - the only thing that is pushing the consumption till infinity is going to 90-100miles or faster. But yeah, that's the speed you need to be able to drive normally on the highway here in Germany.

Good to hear - we're going to buy a small electric vehicle for commuting. Traffic to and from work is very very slow.

I was actually working out of Nurnberg and Munchen for a month this fall - The bavarian alps are probably one of the most beautiful places on earth. Didn't see many cruisers though..

Toyota only sold them for a year or something like in 2008. I think in the whole region there cant be more than three or four since in whole Germany there are only ~50 registered 200s. The only other 200 is the 2016 from the mum of the friend I got my 200 from hehe.
Jepp it is beautiful here but I miss more opportunities to go rly offroad here :D

Hello Everyone!

Moved to a part of Canada where overlanding and offroading seem like good ideas (Vancouver Island). Sold off the Audi S4 as it's been an unreliable nightmare and moving into a 2008 AX-G JDM 200 series. It's a pearl white 4.5 auction score UZJ200W with 80k kilometers. Unfortuately it's got some tacky JDM attachments that I'll need to get rid of. Currently the cruiser is still in Japan waiting for placement on a ship but I'm trying to get some parts ready so I can hit the ground running when it arrives. I've planned a budget-friendly build that I've listed below and I have a few questions on modifications/changes that some international forum members might have some insight on. I'll also try to keep this thread updated as I go as a reference for future importers. Don't think there's much on the topic for 200 series.
Is this really 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 AX G Selection? The pictures show ZX model that was made from May, 2009. Asssuming it was made the same month it would possible to import it in Canada in May, 2024 (The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus).

Importing a vehicle from countries other than the United States and Mexico

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER - Sale in 5/2009 (AX, AX G Selection and ZX)

Is this really 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 AX G Selection? The pictures show ZX model that was made from May, 2009. Asssuming it was made the same month it would possible to import it in Canada in May, 2024 (The vehicle is 15 years old or older, based on the month and year of its manufacture, belongs to a regulated class of vehicle under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Act) and is not a bus).

Importing a vehicle from countries other than the United States and Mexico

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER - Sale in 5/2009 (AX, AX G Selection and ZX)
Yeah we ran the chassis number/VIN and checked the auction documents as well.

There's a ton of japanese cars at auction that cosmetically change badges etc. to higher trims or later models. Quite a few do the full facelift as well for older models.

I personally think it's tacky, the ZX badge is coming off along with all the chrome the instant i get it

Yeah we ran the chassis number/VIN and checked the auction documents as well.

There's a ton of japanese cars at auction that cosmetically change badges etc. to higher trims or later models. Quite a few do the full facelift as well for older models.

I personally think it's tacky, the ZX badge is coming off along with all the chrome the instant i get it
I would never expect someone to upgrade their AX by adding ZX to the body 😄 How long have it been since you purchased it at the auction? What is the ETA now when it arrives in Vancouver? The Land Cruiser looks great 👌

I would never expect someone to upgrade their AX by adding ZX to the body 😄 How long have it been since you purchased it at the auction? What is the ETA now when it arrives in Vancouver? The Land Cruiser looks great 👌
I think we won the auction in late August - there were shipping delays in Japan for a few months. It arrived in Vancouver a month or so ago and customs couldn't process prior to the holidays.

Going to pick up this Sunday - Just need to wire in some DRLs and should be able to pass provincial safety inspections.. fingers crossed

If you live in Canada why didn’t you just buy a US 2008-2009 which is LHD and pretty much matches up with Canadian regulations?

If you live in Canada why didn’t you just buy a US 2008-2009 which is LHD and pretty much matches up with Canadian regulations?
Everything considered, something with twice the mileage as the one I ordered would also be between 50-100% more expensive. The only real difference is the 5.7 vs 4.7 but I'm not going to be winning any drag races anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom