2002 GMC Yukon XL Denali On-Star Speaker Noise??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The On-star system in the family truckster (Yukon) has been non-functional since the begining of the year when GMC discontinued all non-digital services (I guess I bought a year too early).

Recently, the little round speaker in the headliner just above the driver's left ear has started making a static noise for about the first 5-10 minutes after the car is started. I actually thought this was a microphone until it started making noise recently - who knew.

I don't drive the vehicle much, but when I do it annoyes the hell out of me. My fall-back plan is to just trace down the wires and cut them as on-star isn't active anyway. But if there is a known and easy fix, I'd happily go another route (cuting the wires may require dropping the headliner and I sure don't want to get into that mess).

The only other reason for not just yanking and cutting the wires is that, once I figured out it was a small speaker engineered for voice, I got the idea to connect it to my HAM radio and have nice sound just above my ear.

Oh well, any ideas are appreciated.

My 2000 Tahoe did this. The old analog systems made all sorts of sounds. Just pop the speaker out of the headlinner and clip the wires behind it. Or you can go to the dealer before GM goes under and buy the digital upgrade which is a couple hundered $$$. Depends if you really want On Star, if my wife/girl friend was driving it I would drop the money and upgrade, but if it was just me I would clip the wires.

The On-star system in the family truckster (Yukon) has been non-functional since the begining of the year when GMC discontinued all non-digital services (I guess I bought a year too early).

Recently, the little round speaker in the headliner just above the driver's left ear has started making a static noise for about the first 5-10 minutes after the car is started. I actually thought this was a microphone until it started making noise recently - who knew.

I don't drive the vehicle much, but when I do it annoyes the hell out of me. My fall-back plan is to just trace down the wires and cut them as on-star isn't active anyway. But if there is a known and easy fix, I'd happily go another route (cuting the wires may require dropping the headliner and I sure don't want to get into that mess).

The only other reason for not just yanking and cutting the wires is that, once I figured out it was a small speaker engineered for voice, I got the idea to connect it to my HAM radio and have nice sound just above my ear.

Oh well, any ideas are appreciated.

Its not a speaker above your head. Still hearing a static noise from it?

Shane

My 2000 Tahoe did this. The old analog systems made all sorts of sounds. Just pop the speaker out of the headlinner and clip the wires behind it. Or you can go to the dealer before GM goes under and buy the digital upgrade which is a couple hundered $$$. Depends if you really want On Star, if my wife/girl friend was driving it I would drop the money and upgrade, but if it was just me I would clip the wires.

Not to often I call someone a dumb ass, but that was the stupidest thing I have heard someone doing.

Again, It's NOT a speaker or a part of On-Star.

Again, stupid stupid stupid.........

How's your climate control working...:clap:

So what the heck is it ????

First, I guess I'm glad I didn't waste time tracing down wiring to make use of the 'speaker' if it is actually not a speaker.

Second, it definitely has some sort of static noise coming out of it when the truck first starts. Everyone else who drives the vehicle claims they can't hear it, only me. But they also all claim they can't hear the voices talking to me, so they must be nuts :)

Third, what the heck is that thing if not a speaker (sounds like something to do with the climate control system)? And how does it work?

Finally, where is the on-star speaker? Is that the small black deal near the upper center console that I thought was the mic? If so, where is the on-star mic?

It is a small fan about an inch in dia and it pulls the air up from the cab for the climate control setting. Cut those wires and good by climate control. Most think it is a speaker because of the crackling, but that is dust in it. You can blast it with a can of compressed air or pull down the headliner and replace it. Some times it can be cleaned out.

Shaen

Well, I guess I'll try the compressed 'can of air' method first and if that doesn't work maybe the shop aircompressor (may be too much though) and then just pull down the headliner and see about rebuilding/replacing it.

thanks for the info though, I always figured it was a speaker!

So what is the small rectangular box on the DL side of the roof console (by the map lights and rear a/c controls) that I *think* is the onstar mic?

Well, I guess I'll try the compressed 'can of air' method first and if that doesn't work maybe the shop aircompressor (may be too much though) and then just pull down the headliner and see about rebuilding/replacing it.

thanks for the info though, I always figured it was a speaker!

So what is the small rectangular box on the DL side of the roof console (by the map lights and rear a/c controls) that I *think* is the onstar mic?

Das it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom