1996 KZJ90 drivetrain is binding, and I could use some help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have only had my Prado for a couple of months, and recently it started to feel like something is binding in the drivetrain.

When I pull away from a stop, sometimes it will start off fine, and then the truck will feel like the brakes were applied slightly. It also seems to be worst in reverse. There is normally some drivetrain noise and even clicking that corresponds to this.

I have been under the truck, and the driveshafts look tight. I don't see anything that looks out of place.
I'm thinking my next step is to change the fluid in the transfer case to see if there is any metal in the fluid.

Any ideas, insights or possible a fix will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like you are having diff or xfer case issues. A fluid inspection and change are a solid, inexpensive first step. Also are you sure your xfer case is in 4H? Try moving the lever around to be sure it is in the right position.

I know maybe it is something simple🤞. But if it is a front or rear diff can someone confirm if I'm correct in thinking that they are the same as a 3rd gen 4runner, and are the internals the same or is everything the same?

I know maybe it is something simple🤞. But if it is a front or rear diff can someone confirm if I'm correct in thinking that they are the same as a 3rd gen 4runner, and are the internals the same or is everything the same?
Confirmed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom