1993 sluggish transmission, no overdrive... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not sure if I have a Transmission issue or something else going on.

I purchased a 1993 with factory lockers. The truck is very clean and all original.
High miles 350,000. It runs very well however I am having issues with the transmission not shifting properly . It is very sluggish off the line and does not have much power under 2000rpm. I have to shift it like a manual transmission and keep the rpm over 2000 to have any power.

Tire size 285/75r16
Operating transmission temp with gun is 165f.

I have another 93 that has 315/70r17 tires on it and it has much more power and shifts fine. It has 250,000 miles.

If you guys can give me some directioin to approach it would be greatly appreciated.

are you sure it is starting in 1st gear and not second? that is a common issue. there are several things to check but i would be willing to bet bad wiring or a bad solenoid inside the trans.

How difficult is it to change out the solenoid?

Is there a sensor or computer that runs the transmission?

I can pick up a used trans on CL local for $200. Should I just change it out? I would like to change out a computer or sensor first. I can move them from my parts rig and see if that works.

Thanks

checking the solenoids is easy, just messy and takes some time. drop the pan and they are right there. take them out, check the ohms and then do the air pressure test. good bit in the fsm for it with pictures. another thing to check is the wiring harness near the starter. those connectors can get water in them over the years and cause issues. that would be the easiest thing to check so i would start there.

Hi guys. I'm having the very same problem with my Cruiser! Have a '94 VX 80 Series, factory fitted lockers, 1HD-T engine. There were no problems until the engine had to be completely overhauled because the oil pan filter was totally blocked with silicone sealer.....a botched repair job done the previous owner. Anyway, newly rebuilt motor and second hand wiring harness. Took the vehicle to diesel fundi's to have the pump and injectors set and tuned up and now the Cruiser is sluggish. I also suspected wiring problem. I'm still in the process of checking that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom