1993 Land Cruiser Transmission Won't Engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend has a 1993 FZJ80 that has been is storage for the past 5 years. He went to get it out and it started up after some coaxing and he drove it around some. Ran and drove fine then went to test the 4 wheel drive system. Moved the High/Low lever and engaged the center diff lock button. The truck will not move now. Can shift into reverse and drive but the engine just revs like it is in neutral even after shifting the transfer case back into High or Low - it will not move. The truck has had some electrical gremlins that he was never able to chase down. Window fuse keeps blowing so none of the windows open etc. The truck has relatively low miles, 154,000 and was driving fine until the messing around with the 4 wheel drive. Could a fuse blow that has something to do with the transmission? Thanks in advance for any input that can be given.

Try placing it in drive while the engine is running, one or more people push the cruiser and one person crams the transfer case lever into 4 hi. If that doesn't work try repeatedly pushing the CDL switch and see if it resolves.

Check the linkage under the truck (the one from the 4 low/hi to transfer case). But really just sounds like the transfer case I in neutral.

If one of the drive plates on the front hubs is stripped it would probably not move unless the CDL is locked.

A friend has a 1993 FZJ80 that has been is storage for the past 5 years. He went to get it out and it started up after some coaxing and he drove it around some. Ran and drove fine then went to test the 4 wheel drive system. Moved the High/Low lever and engaged the center diff lock button. The truck will not move now. Can shift into reverse and drive but the engine just revs like it is in neutral even after shifting the transfer case back into High or Low - it will not move. The truck has had some electrical gremlins that he was never able to chase down. Window fuse keeps blowing so none of the windows open etc. The truck has relatively low miles, 154,000 and was driving fine until the messing around with the 4 wheel drive. Could a fuse blow that has something to do with the transmission? Thanks in advance for any input that can be given.

Well I finally went back out to mess around with this thing.. We tried pushing it while in drive, engine running and it still would not engage. However, while in "Drive" I revved the engine and the thing started to move. It did this in Drive and Drive1. Transmission fluid is full and clean. Truck has not been abused. Can electric gremlins be causing this? The CDL light does not come on nor does the ECT light. Is it possible that the electronically controlled Trans mission is not getting the proper signals?

Thanks for the replies so far and any further input.

There is no telling what damage could have been done by rodents while it sat for five years. Believe it or not, sitting down with the FSM and digging into the truck yourself will be faster and much more rewarding than waiting for one of us to accidentally make the correct diagnosis.

Neutral safety switch?

Lol, I get this same issue every now and then since the trans has so many miles. Try coming to a stop, put it all the way down into the lowest gear and then straight to reverse and then to drive again and see if she goes, this sound like a bad solenoid like I've got going on.

Did you ever figure out the solution? Mine started doing the same after driving in the snow yesterday. I have a 97— was in and out of 4 hi and low— now when I go into drive or reverse it is like I am still in neutral. A months ago I had a transmission E selenoid code pop up— is this the Minsk manifestation of that problem or something different ?

Did you ever figure out the solution? Mine started doing the same after driving in the snow yesterday. I have a 97— was in and out of 4 hi and low— now when I go into drive or reverse it is like I am still in neutral. A months ago I had a transmission E selenoid code pop up— is this the Minsk manifestation of that problem or something different ?
Did you manage to figure out what the problem is?

Well I finally went back out to mess around with this thing.. We tried pushing it while in drive, engine running and it still would not engage. However, while in "Drive" I revved the engine and the thing started to move. It did this in Drive and Drive1. Transmission fluid is full and clean. Truck has not been abused. Can electric gremlins be causing this? The CDL light does not come on nor does the ECT light. Is it possible that the electronically controlled Trans mission is not getting the proper signals?

Thanks for the replies so far and any further input.
Did you find out the cause?

Did you get to the bottom of this?

Sounds like the shift solenoids died and it went in limp mode. So the trans was stuck in overdrive and when you floored it, it moved.

What issues are you having?
Mine was also not shifting from park, then discovered fuse 4 was out so changed it and it was going into gear but not moving, then discovered the 4 wheel drive stick had stuck between high and neutral but put it back in high and it's all good now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom