Builds 1987 fj60 12h-t h55f conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wheel studs and bearing races pressed in and hubs are ready to go on.
a21.JPG

Backing plates were super clean once the grease was removed so i just cleaned them really well painted them with high temp paint and put a final coat on of por15. I didnt want to sand blast them because the carbon fiber scoops are riveted on.
a22.JPG
a23.JPG

In this picture you can somewhat see the carbon fiber weaving. Who thought an 80s model cruiser had this kind of technology!?
a24.JPG

Reman toyota calipers, new rubber lines, brake pad pins, clips, and rattle clips. The only hard line that wasnt available was the one that runs from the junction on the third member over to the rubber line and mine was in good shape so i reused it. Since the oe pads are discontinued i sourced the next best this which are Advics which is also an oe supplier for many japanese manufacturers.
a25.JPG

Last edited:
Here is where it's at at the moment. Im waiting on some seals and bushings from toyota to put the locker actuator back together. Im going to use the hubs that are currently on my 60 so not putting those on till the 60 comes apart. The hubs that were on this axle were nearly perfect but had two or three tiny flat spots where some idiot used a hammer on them to remove the cone washers while the ones currently on my 60 have never been touched. I also plated the brake line junction.

a26.JPG
a27.JPG

Here is the one hard brake line i reused.
a28.JPG

The rear axle is next, you can see it chillin out in the back ground. In the mean time my replacement 12ht is getting some attention. I dont know any history on it other than i fired it up on the pallet it came on with an easy start and no smoke. I made a video of it but dont know how to upload it. My first 12ht did the same so, this time around im not taking any chances and digging in a little deeper to freshen it up.

Plan was to pull the head and the pistons to do a good inspection of the rod bearings and the ring lands. That revealed a broken oil control ring on number 5 and what appears to be aftermarket pistons with alfin inserts. Cylinder walls look great from what i could see with minimal lighting and not a good cleaning. The rod bearings look good as well with only one tiny questionable mark. I removed the pistons from the rods and turned them in to the machine shop for a bead blast so I can do a better inspection.

e5.JPG
e6.JPG
e7.JPG
e8.JPG
e9.JPG

Last edited:
On the other hand the water jacket looks like the previous owner ran sea water in the engine. Curiosity got the best of me and with no good way to clean the block partially disassembled I decided last night to pull it the rest of the way apart. Oil pump came off and I pulled the crank to reveal .25 NDC brand main bearings. The front cam shaft bearing looked like hell so I pulled all of them to reveal standard size ACL bearings. I stripped the block of everything that can come off and dropped it at the machine shop for a hot bath.

I made a special tool to drive out the cam bearings using a differential bearing race and welding some split case idler shafts together. :) worked great to remove the bearings but I think I will make a special tool out of threaded rod when I go back to reinstall the new ones.

20160831_203955.jpg
20160831_204021.jpg
20160831_204026.jpg
20160831_204145.jpg
20160831_205928.jpg

That brings this thread up to speed. Turbo is going to a turbo shop for inspection and possibly a new center section. The head is going to a cylinder head shop next week when I get down to drop it off. I got a new Toyota over haul gasket set to put this thing back together with too

1472781714047.jpg
1472781788538.jpg

Wheel studs and bearing races pressed in and hubs are ready to go on.
View attachment 1315291
Backing plates were super clean once the grease was removed so i just cleaned them really well painted them with high temp paint and put a final coat on of por15. I didnt want to sand blast them because the carbon fiber scoops are riveted on.
View attachment 1315292 View attachment 1315294

In this picture you can somewhat see the carbon fiber weaving. Who thought an 80s model cruiser had this kind of technology!?
View attachment 1315295
Reman toyota calipers, new rubber lines, brake pad pins, clips, and rattle clips. The only hard line that wasnt available was the one that runs from the junction on the third member over to the rubber line and mine was in good shape so i reused it. Since the oe pads are discontinued i sourced the next best this which are Advics which is also an oe supplier for many japanese manufacturers.
View attachment 1315296

OEM pads are not discontinued. SET just can't get them. Any TMS dealer can get them. I have about 40 sets in stock. 04465-35170

Great work Roma.

Block is awaiting its turn at the machine shop. As soon as its cleaned up and cylinder walls are given the ok I need to try to source some .40 over rings. If I cant get them I'll need to go with a bore and a larger piston. At that point may just be easier to buy an over haul kit. If I can source just the rings I will pick up new bearings from Toyota. I have a brass freeze plug set to go in as well.

20160906_141627.jpg
20160906_141644.jpg
20160906_141653.jpg

Anyone had a 12ht apart know whether these coolant ports are supposed to have these plugs in there with holes in some of them? They look like freeze plugs of some sort. Being that this engine has been apart I'm kind of thinking maybe someone added some coolant passages by drilling holes in the center of these freeze plugs? Can't seem to find anything in the service manual about them.

20160906_141553.jpg

Roma, what are the ring dimensions you need? I have a new set of Hastings Chromes, 0.040" for 3FE. Maybe there's a chance they are the same?

These are 2mm thick on 1 and 2. I needed 1.5mm for my build. I also have a full set of 3FE wrist pin bushings I don't need and will throw in if they have the same dimensions.

Let me know!

Roma, what are the ring dimensions you need? I have a new set of Hastings Chromes, 0.040" for 3FE. Maybe there's a chance they are the same?

These are 2mm thick on 1 and 2. I needed 1.5mm for my build. I also have a full set of 3FE wrist pin bushings I don't need and will throw in if they have the same dimensions.

Let me know!

Waaay different brother but thanks.

Waaay different brother but thanks.

Just looked up the specs now that I'm on my desktop and you're right, the 3FE stuff is way bigger :flipoff2:

That's what I figured but thought it's worth a shot. Build is looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom