For Sale 1984 FJ60 V8, Overdrive, Coilovers, CA Smog Legal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

-----SOLD-----

This is sold. Please don't PM me trying to buy it.

: 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-60 as seen in my build thread ->

I bought the FJ-60 two and a half years ago with the idea that I was going to mob it down desert fire roads, take it beach camping and use it as a daily driver. In the midst of converting it to this awesome do-all machine, my employment situation changed pretty dramatically and I find that I no longer drive this awesome machine despite all of the labor, parts and money I’ve put into it nor am I near any fire roads in the desert. I'm not in a pinch to sell this thing, however I'd like to not have to continuously smog it (you have 90 days on a valid smog certificate) so I'd like to get this to a new owner to enjoy.

This vehicle drives superbly down the freeway at modern speeds with the A/C blasting. It is exceptionally quiet (significantly quieter than original FJ60s), while achieving significantly better mileage with tons more power. The brakes are absolutely incredible. You can take parking lot speed bumps at speed, even the large ones at the airport are no match for the FJ-60’s suspension. Vehicle is rust free. I felt it was my patriotic duty use no butt splices anywhere on this vehicle. All wiring is soldered, shrink wrapped and taped - the American way.

I appreciate your interest in this sale. Serious inquiries only.

If you have technical questions (and you aren't interested in buying this masterpiece of 80s engineering), I posted the build thread above - many questions you have are likely addressed in that thread. Free to post those technical questions in that thread.

Here are the important stats:

General
  • 1984 Toyota FJ-60
  • 285,200 miles
  • Clean title that it is in my name - ready to be in yours

Powertrain
  • 1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 High Output SEFI V8 with 94,000 original miles on it, emissions legal with CA BAR Sticker
  • 1994 Ford ZF S5-42 5 speed transmission with 5.72:1 1st gear and 24% overdrive
  • 1986 Jeep Dana 300 transfer case with adapted Toyota mini truck (60mm x 60mm) outputs
  • Shifters in factory location
  • Brand new Toyota factory driveshafts from South Bay Driveline
  • Factory headers, feeding a true dual 2.25” exhaust system with H-pipe
  • Dual Flowmaster 40 series delta flow with dual corner exit chrome exhaust tips
  • 140-amp alternator
  • Factory 3.73 gears (they are perfect for this wheel, tire and engine combo. I also have a 4.10 3rd member here I would potentially include)
  • New factory radiator
  • Factory Air Conditioning
  • Factory fuel tank with Walbro 255 in-tank pump
Suspension
  • Custom Front 3-link suspension with 14” Pro-fender dual-rate coil overs
  • Custom FJ60 front axle, completely rebuilt with new bearings and seals, 3.73 ratio
  • Chevy 63” rear springs and spring over with 14” Bilstein 5100 shocks
  • FZJ-80 rear disc brake axle, 3.73 ratio
  • Front and rear progressive bump stops
  • Heavy duty 1-ton steering box
  • DOM + 7/8" Heim joint steering links
  • Marlin Crawler High Steer with ARP studs
  • TK1 racing long-travel swap bar
Brakes
  • Front Toyota Tundra 12.75” brake conversion using 13WL calipers
  • Rebuilt factory rear FZJ-80 disc brakes
  • FZJ-80 Dual diaphragm brake booster
  • T-100 1” Master cylinder
Exterior
  • Repainted factory Toyota Pearl White
  • New Windshield
  • Front ARB Winch Bumper with 12K winch
  • Custom rear bumper
  • Class 3 trailer hitch with 2” receiver wired for trailer towing
  • 35 x 12.50 x 17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts
  • 17x9 Black Powder-coated Pro-Comp steel wheels
  • Custom frame-mounted rock-slider/steps
  • H4 Headlight conversion
  • New front turn signals / running lights
  • Side marker lights and logos removed
  • All locks replaced with updated Toyota locks (smooth keys don't open these)
  • LED Offroad lights
  • 50% tint rear windows (which were all done out of the vehicle)
  • New Front window regulators
Interior
  • Celica GT Adjustable Bucket Seats
  • Factory Rear Folding Bench seat
  • Interior completely sound insulated with panel dampers and Mass-Loaded Vinyl
  • New dark grey carpet
  • New felt FJ62 headliner
  • AM/FM Antenna relocated to behind dash
  • FJ62 Gauges
  • Custom rear ABS cargo panels with LED Lighting
  • New Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth hand-free calling
  • New speakers up front and in cargo area
  • Locking Center console
  • Rear heat
  • All Factory gauges and warning lights seamlessly integrated with V8
Price
$. No trades. No credit unions. No BS.

Campbell, CA, though I would be willing to transport between Campbell and Reno, NV (I-80 corridor) for the right buyer.

Legal
Vehicle is smogged in CA with valid registration until the end of Nov. It is refereed for advance smog check 2, which means this will pass ANYWHERE in CA with no questions asked. Seriously, this is a big deal.

You cannot transfer title in CA WITHOUT first obtaining a smog certificate. That makes this vehicle far more valuable than other engine swapped vehicles without aforementioned smog certification.

I have no idea what the laws are concerning engine changes in other states, so please consult your local laws if you are interested from out of CA.

I have the pink slip and CA bill of sale ready to go.

Contact
Please private message me.

Pictures

More available in my build thread or upon request -> Project Space Shuttle - 5.0 powered '84 FJ60 on Coilovers

20160713_192135.jpg

20160713_192147.jpg

20160912_170014.jpg

20160911_164753.jpg

20160915_114807.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome rig, hope it goes to a good home. And I gotta say that was a damn good for sale post.:beer:

Such an amazing FJ60. Wish I had the money laying around. And to think I recently saw a 'stock' FJ60 with rust all over it sell for close to this price. GLWS although I think someone will snatch this up quickly. Hope it goes to a good home as well. :beer:

Amazing build. Small world too, I know your suspension guy as well. Any idea of the MPG on this thing? I assume it gets a little better with the 37"? Lastly, can it be lowered at all with the 3 link?

Amazing build. Small world too, I know your suspension guy as well. Any idea of the MPG on this thing? I assume it gets a little better with the 37"? Lastly, can it be lowered at all with the 3 link?

I never took too close of inventory of the mileage. It cruises at about 2200 RPM at 75.
There's definitely room to lower it if you change some minor things.

I hear what you're saying. Someone needs to buy a truck that has been done right. This one. Your documented work and modifications improved the forum. Not to mention if someone wanted all the modifications you have done they would need to pay a shop probably more than double your asking price. Someone buy this and save some headache!

I see what guys are asking for stock ones with basic bolt on parts and the attention they are getting. Maybe I should have raised my asking price...

the people asking 15-20k for basically stock rigs are smoking crack.

Yours is worth it. Very few people understand just the time that goes into something like this.

Thanks for your comment - and the bump.

I've been getting a lot of tire-kickers asking about it and it's been pissing me off. The sarcasm in the following FAQ should be evident.

Many of the inquiries I received have been alternating between dumb and condescending. I'm not your personal mechanic. I'm not going through financial hardship. I'm not stupid. This vehicle is extremely well-documented and well-built. I've been up-front about absolutely EVERYTHING put into it.

Here's some FAQs

Can it be lowered?

Yes. You as the owner can do what you please with the suspension.​
Why are you selling it?
I've driven it under 1500 miles in 2.5 years and never had a chance to take it anywhere mildly offroad other than Pismo Beach (once)​
What's the fuel mileage?
Yes.​
Will "x" size tires fit?
Yes.​
Will this fit in my garage?
Yes.​
What's your "bottom" price?
Take the original ad and $1000 for every stupid question you asked (see above)​
I want my mechanic to thoroughly inspect the vehicle, will you drive it to him and leave it there?
Sure. You just have to leave a deposit of $.​
What part did you use on "x"?
Read the build thread​
'Questions already answered in the ad'
READ the AD​
Superfluous stories as to why you are looking for an FJ-60.
I don't care why you are looking for an FJ60. Do you go to Target and tell the cashier about why you're buying toilet paper?

Last edited:
:lol::lol::lol:

awesome 60, and entertaining ad! :hillbilly:

This is an awesome rig perfectly executed and a bargain at this price. If I had the technical expertise to maintain it, would be mine already.

Just being smog legal is worth the price.
All other mods makes this a helluva deal.

Good luck with the sale....!!!

Yes, you should raise the asking price it is too low...really nice rig

Bump...!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom