1983 Canadian Spec BJ60 no start no run condition (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
We have a 1983 BJ60 LHD Canadian G spec BJ60 with a 3B with an H55F behind it.

We were driving home and the truck started to lose power while driving (like it had a lot to start with). I was pushing hard to keep it running and revved up the motor with the hand throttle to keep it from stalling at any slow down or slow shift without gas down. By the time we got home (barely) it couldn't even maintain an idle and died when I parked. It also died and restarted 3 times on the way home in addition to the low power. Felt very fuel related.

Troubleshooting!
- Tested and replaced the primer pump (found a huge leak in the oem)
- Tested and replaced the lift pump (was able to pressurize with primer but wasn't seeing fuel at injectors or filling the filter
- Reterminated and cleaned up all the starting and battery cables (PO nightmare, all cleaned up)
- On start glow light comes on, hear the relay, EDIC moves (I rewired this relay to like new), cranks, no start.

HELP!
This is all I have had time to do. It has to be fuel or glow yes? Can a glow issue cause it to stop running?

I am scared it's the high pressure injector pump. EEEP.

You need to see fuel.
Did you crack open the bleeder at the filter.
Glow plugs really only help when the engine is cold. Fuel, fuel, fuel.
Other options:
Open bleeder
Crack injectors
Disconnect fuel line pre-lift and check for fuel.
Add fuel via a container.
Obviously you have fuel in the tank.
If it is fairly cold Add a diesel fuel conditioner or de-icer .
Verify EDIC or Disconnect.
Pull glow plugs to help the engine spin until fuel arrives.
Pump the primer while cranking the engine.

I have seen fuel lines rust and fall apart.

I have also seen these 3B run upside down and backwards. Never had an issue with getting them to run right.

Like squash said,

I’d say isolate the fuel delivery, by disconnecting the fuel line from the primer, and running it out of a jerry can - go from there.

You need to see fuel.
Did you crack open the bleeder at the filter.
Glow plugs really only help when the engine is cold. Fuel, fuel, fuel.
Other options:
Open bleeder
Crack injectors
Disconnect fuel line pre-lift and check for fuel.
Add fuel via a container.
Obviously you have fuel in the tank.
If it is fairly cold Add a diesel fuel conditioner or de-icer .
Verify EDIC or Disconnect.
Pull glow plugs to help the engine spin until fuel arrives.
Pump the primer while cranking the engine.
I bled the filter and pressurized it with primer and bleeding. I have fuel in the filter but not getting fuel to the injectors. I have shown combustion with ether so it will turn over. I feel like I have a fuel line tank to lift pump or injector pump issue. The fuel lines I will go hunting and have some line to use for patches or even a new run. I think I need to also check the tank to see if it is stopped up such that a prime will fill fuel and build pressure but active pumping might be restricted.

I have seen fuel lines rust and fall apart.

I have also seen these 3B run upside down and backwards. Never had an issue with getting them to run right.

Like squash said,

I’d say isolate the fuel delivery, by disconnecting the fuel line from the primer, and running it out of a jerry can - go from there.
Will do. A quick test. Looks like I need some diesel!

check the short fuel pickup pipe on top of the tank,ive seen so many of them rusted with pin holes there....
try running engine from a jerry can from the primer pump

^^this

Disconnect the edic, so you can manually put it in run. I think there is three positions. Its been awhile since I thought about it. Off, run and start.
I never saw if you replaced the fuel filter, but I would do that too. Even though there was something about fuel not getting to the filter.

Thanks all. I will keep hunting the fuel and walk the lines and check the tank. I just have to find time now :)

Disconnect the edic, so you can manually put it in run. I think there is three positions. Its been awhile since I thought about it. Off, run and start.
I never saw if you replaced the fuel filter, but I would do that too. Even though there was something about fuel not getting to the filter.
filter is clean and new.

I once had a pinhole in the bottom of the fuel/water separator that caused the conditions you describe.

I once had a pinhole in the bottom of the fuel/water separator that caused the conditions you describe.
I am hoping I am home for a while so I can get into the search! I am certain it is a massive air leak.

I'd definitely look at tank pickup first. Or just run it from a little jug of diesel to eliminate everything forward of the primer pump. (if it runs lol)

Those metal fuel lines all the way back to the tank can get pretty crusty too, and because these leaks are pulling air in, they don't always show up as a wet area to help you find them.

Had a truck once with a convoluted extra filter/separator system, with what seemed like an extra 10' of fuel line when I bought it. One of those rubber lines chafed through and let in air. Not a drop of diesel came out to help me find it. I just happened to hear a sucking sound when the engine shut off and I was leaning over it

I'd definitely look at tank pickup first. Or just run it from a little jug of diesel to eliminate everything forward of the primer pump. (if it runs lol)

Those metal fuel lines all the way back to the tank can get pretty crusty too, and because these leaks are pulling air in, they don't always show up as a wet area to help you find them.

Had a truck once with a convoluted extra filter/separator system, with what seemed like an extra 10' of fuel line when I bought it. One of those rubber lines chafed through and let in air. Not a drop of diesel came out to help me find it. I just happened to hear a sucking sound when the engine shut off and I was leaning over it
This thing ran like a champ till it didn't. I took out the veggie system and cleaned up what I could....but I have more to do.

My FIL decided he wants to spend some time in GA this spring so he is coming down and will be looking at the BJ60 as a project. Works for me! He is a master level diesel mechanic and has owned and worked on BJ60s in Canada for decades. Lucky!! haha

My FIL decided he wants to spend some time in GA this spring so he is coming down and will be looking at the BJ60 as a project. Works for me! He is a master level diesel mechanic and has owned and worked on BJ60s in Canada for decades. Lucky!! haha

After he’s done with yours send him to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom